Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 Jan 2009 (Thursday) 18:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PLA: Prime Lovers Anonymous

ALaS
Goldmember
2,205 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 19, 2012 08:10 |  #2086

My next purchase will be the 135L. I can't wait!

Best Regards,
-Ericson.
flick (external link)r (external link) | Gear -Canon 1Ds Mark II, 50L & 28mm f/1.8 for SALE!

sponsored links
MatthewK
Goldmember
4,361 posts
Gallery: 818 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 19, 2012 12:24 |  #2087

The Warlock wrote in post #13730993 (external link)
I got my 50mmL yesterday to add to my 100mmL macro, i'm i hooked yet? Could see myself with a couple more L primes over the next years. 24mmL is on my wishlist, a 135mmL? I would like a 24-70 2.8 IS aswell, go make it Canon.

Interesting, I just did the reverse: added the 100L to my 50L, 24L prime time lineup. Been wanting to get into macro, so this was the way to go. I still have the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II and 24-105, but the the 24-105 is looking for a new home now that the 100L moved in :(

2020: New Year, New Decade, NO G.A.S (Yep, we're giving it another shot!)
Canon/Nikon/Fuji

esolomon
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 19, 2012 12:34 |  #2088

I was given a 50 mm 1.4 for my birthday. Can't wait to try it out!

Getting back into photography. I used to shoot with an AE-1...
Canon T3 (1100D),EF 50 mm 1.4, EFS 18-55 mm, EF 75-300 mm, 580EX II.
tumblr (external link)
flickr (external link)

BananaRaw
429 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 19, 2012 12:45 |  #2089

Well normally I was going to be the owner of a 24L 1.4 mark I. Jippie but it all turned out not so jippie..:(

We made an appointment an I was going to meet the seller this afternoon. The lens was in a mint condition, only the cover of the AF/MF switch was broken. But he said this didn't make any difference for the autofocus or the quality of the lens. He also had a new cover for it so for me it wasn't a big deal.

So I went on a trip, 60km up and 60km back, I asked to test the lens and I couldn't manage to take 1focussed shot. Nothing was in focus, not a single millimeter. I told him my thoughts about the lens and he didn't know what I was talking about.. He gave me his 5D2 and the examples were just the same. I also find the 'bokeh' quite bizarre.

My idea is that he dropped the lens, the cover broke due to this, and now he's trying to sell it to someone who isn't capable of testing it or who doesn't feel the urge to test it.

I'm in fact really disappointed in this seller, he isn't active on this forum so don't worry. My point just is that if you buy a second hand lens and you go pick it up, then take the time to test it. It took my 3hours and the costs of getting there, for nothing, my dad lend me his car so he couldn't go anywhere.. :mad:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

::: Gear :::
::: Flickr (external link) ::: 500px (external link) ::: Tumblr. (external link) :::

The ­ Warlock
505 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 19, 2012 13:14 |  #2090

BananaRaw wrote in post #13732459 (external link)
Well normally I was going to be the owner of a 24L 1.4 mark I. Jippie but it all turned out not so jippie..:(

We made an appointment an I was going to meet the seller this afternoon. The lens was in a mint condition, only the cover of the AF/MF switch was broken. But he said this didn't make any difference for the autofocus or the quality of the lens. He also had a new cover for it so for me it wasn't a big deal.

So I went on a trip, 60km up and 60km back, I asked to test the lens and I couldn't manage to take 1focussed shot. Nothing was in focus, not a single millimeter. I told him my thoughts about the lens and I didn't know what I was talking about.. He gave me his 5D2 and the examples were just the same. I also find the 'bokeh' quite bizarre.

My idea is that he dropped the lens, the cover broke due to this, and now he's trying to sell it to someone who isn't capable of testing it or who doesn't feel the urge to test it.

I'm in fact really disappointed in this seller, he isn't active on this forum so don't worry. My point just is that if you buy a second hand lens and you go pick it up, then take the time to test it. It took my 3hours and the costs of getting there, for nothing, my dad lend me his car so he couldn't go anywhere.. :mad:

That looks broken, terrible quality on those, uuugh, good thing you tested it.

Canon 60D, Canon 1100D , 17-40 4L , 24mm 1.4L II,Zeiss Distagon T*2/35 ZE,50mm 1.2L, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 IS L, 50mm 1.8II, 18-55 III, 430 exII,TT Retrospective 20, Lightroom 4.
Set a pen to a dream, and the colour drains from it.
R.H. Barlow and H.P. Lovecraft
"The Night Ocean"

agphotography
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 19, 2012 13:15 |  #2091

Yeah there is something definitely wrong with that lens. Looks like an element is out of alignment.

-Abram-
www.goglanianphoto.com (external link)
500px (external link) / Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)

The ­ Warlock
505 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 19, 2012 13:15 |  #2092

MatthewK wrote in post #13732353 (external link)
Interesting, I just did the reverse: added the 100L to my 50L, 24L prime time lineup. Been wanting to get into macro, so this was the way to go. I still have the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II and 24-105, but the the 24-105 is looking for a new home now that the 100L moved in :(

Awesome lineup, :D;)

Canon 60D, Canon 1100D , 17-40 4L , 24mm 1.4L II,Zeiss Distagon T*2/35 ZE,50mm 1.2L, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 IS L, 50mm 1.8II, 18-55 III, 430 exII,TT Retrospective 20, Lightroom 4.
Set a pen to a dream, and the colour drains from it.
R.H. Barlow and H.P. Lovecraft
"The Night Ocean"

Dawud
392 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 19, 2012 13:19 |  #2093

BananaRaw wrote in post #13732459 (external link)

So I went on a trip, 60km up and 60km back, I asked to test the lens and I couldn't manage to take 1focussed shot. Nothing was in focus, not a single millimeter. I told him my thoughts about the lens and I didn't know what I was talking about.. He gave me his 5D2 and the examples were just the same. I also find the 'bokeh' quite bizarre.

Good you've tested it! I also saw the add and was thinking of buying it, but reconsiddered. Really a pitty the seller tried to cover it! By the way, there's also a great shop not far from where you are parked (Viaduct van de A12 in Wilrijk right? )

Camera • lenses

BananaRaw
429 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 19, 2012 13:36 |  #2094

The Warlock wrote in post #13732666 (external link)
That looks broken, terrible quality on those, uuugh, good thing you tested it.

agphotography wrote in post #13732678 (external link)
Yeah there is something definitely wrong with that lens. Looks like an element is out of alignment.

Also my idea :)

Dawud wrote in post #13732709 (external link)
By the way, there's also a great shop not far from where you are parked (Viaduct van de A12 in Wilrijk right? )

Lucky you! Which shop do you mean? Yes viaduct, wilrijk, well spotted on a soft pic!

::: Gear :::
::: Flickr (external link) ::: 500px (external link) ::: Tumblr. (external link) :::

imposterjeff
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 19, 2012 16:07 |  #2095

I have a serious problem with this, i have purchased a 35l and 135l all within the past 2 weeks

5Dmkii bge6 x2
Σ 35 ART | Σ 50 ART | Σ 85mm | 135mm f/2L
Leica m6ttl | voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 | pentax 6x7 | 105MM F2.4

Desert ­ Pictures
163 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 19, 2012 20:15 as a reply to  @ imposterjeff's post |  #2096

I'm going to throw out this question here (PLA thread) rather to the open forum so I don't get a bunch of recommendations to buy a zoom.

I have 2 bodies, a 40D and a 5Dc, with the FF being the primary camera. For lenses I have a 24L, 100L and 135L. I really need something between the 24 and 100 and for a while was considering trading the 24 on a 35L because back in my film days a 35mm prime was my "normal" on camera lens instead of a 50mm. But...every time I use the 24L I am sufficiently impressed I don't want to get rid of it. Besides, it's paid for.

So, do I get a 35L or move a little further from the 24 and get a 50L, even though I never liked the 50mm focal length. Or third choice, save a while longer and get an 85L, even though I'm not much of a portrait taker?

Curious to here some opinions,
Dave

Prime Lens Guy

actprivate
499 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 19, 2012 21:23 |  #2097

Desert Pictures wrote in post #13734913 (external link)
I'm going to throw out this question here (PLA thread) rather to the open forum so I don't get a bunch of recommendations to buy a zoom.

I have 2 bodies, a 40D and a 5Dc, with the FF being the primary camera. For lenses I have a 24L, 100L and 135L. I really need something between the 24 and 100 and for a while was considering trading the 24 on a 35L because back in my film days a 35mm prime was my "normal" on camera lens instead of a 50mm. But...every time I use the 24L I am sufficiently impressed I don't want to get rid of it. Besides, it's paid for.

So, do I get a 35L or move a little further from the 24 and get a 50L, even though I never liked the 50mm focal length. Or third choice, save a while longer and get an 85L, even though I'm not much of a portrait taker?

Curious to here some opinions,
Dave

Well having an FF and an APS-C body, with your current line up, you have the following effective FOVs:

FF: 24, 100, 135
1.6X: 38, 160, 216

Assuming you did not have any bias against a particular focal length (ignoring your comment re 50 mm), then a 50 mm prime will fill the gap between 38 and 100 that currently exists in your line up. With a 50 mm prime between your cameras, you'll have:

24, 38, 50, 80, 100, 135, 160, 216

How's that as food for thought? :-)

actprivate
499 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 19, 2012 21:26 |  #2098

agphotography wrote in post #13732678 (external link)

This is an example with my 24 Mk I (1/30s, f/4, at MFD with 1D3)

HOSTED PHOTO

actprivate
499 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 19, 2012 21:31 |  #2099

Having my primes ranging from 15 to 300 mm (eigh L and two non-L), I can subscribe to PLA, but my recent upgrades over the last year to move to 24-70L and 70-200L IS II has gained me some respect for zooms again.

So where does this leave me?

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
6,020 posts
Gallery: 90 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 19, 2012 22:05 |  #2100

Well, I tried...I have had nothing but a couple prime lenses for quite a while, 30 and 85. That little nag with regards to the convenience of a a zoom kept coming back from time to time. However, I had not had nor needed anything with any real reach for a while. So I thought to myself, maybe I should try one of these great 70-200 2.8 lenses out that I keep hearing are so fabulous. I even went out there to ask prime lovers if I would be disappointed. In the end, I should have listened. If I would have just read between the lines in that thread, it was so easy to see that the general consensus was that primes just offer something special that the zoom cannot. Period. Nonetheless, I got a nice deal on a Sigma 70-200 2.8 took it for a test drive. While this thing was an absolute beauty, I just could not get past the fact that 2.8 was just a hair on the softer side. 3.2 and down Great! But coming from a prime past, 3.2 just seemed so small. How the heck could I ever use that in low light without a flash? (I do love flash work) So, in the end, I decided to pass the great deal on to someone who will certainly get much more enjoyment out of that HUGE lens than I. I guess I am just a sucker for the super fast, wide aperture, beautiful bokeh, compact/portability, excitement of the foot zoom, the prime lens offers. So what to do now??? I bought my first L glass!!! 135 L on the way baby!! Woo Hoo!

Cory
Sony ⍺6400 | Sigma 56/1.4 | Sony/Zeiss E 24/1.8 | Sigma 16./1.4 | Zeiss Touit 12/2.8
flickr (external link)
Feedback

sponsored links

419,472 views & 0 likes for this thread
PLA: Prime Lovers Anonymous
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.