Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 18 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 14:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Next thing to add to my wedding equipment?

MelissaJoppPhotography
55 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 18, 2012 14:57 |  #1

Alright so I have shot a few weddings and with my Christmas $$$ I would like to add to my wedding equipment. Please let me know what you guys recommend! Thus far I have a Canon 7d, 24-70, 50 1.8, 55-250, 580 exii flash, tripod, umbrella, 8 and 16 GB sandisk cards, and small filter for flash. What do you recommend as my next buy? I'm guessing another flash is needed but if so what one do you recommend? I use natural light when I can but my concern is for church weddings without much light or just church weddings in general. The unfortunate part is I can only spend about $200-$400. As much as I would love to have a second camera body I can't afford that right now and I just borrow my sister's rebel as a backup.
Thanks a lot!

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 18, 2012 15:45 |  #2

Backup camera is essential, along with a backup lens. The 17-55 or such is a much better match for a crop sensor, and I think you need a wide lens. Another flash, battery packs for each flash, radio triggers. Without backup gear you WILL have a big problem when your gear fails. Canon prosumer gear, in my 5 years experience with it, fails fairly regularly.

"Only use natural light" - this means you don't know how to use flash. You need to learn to use flash, if you want to be a professional.

Wedding FAQ.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 18, 2012 16:04 |  #3

We all have to start somewhere! You actually have more gear than I did when I first began ...but I began as a 2nd shooter for an established pro. Now that I've been shooting on my own for 7 years I can't imagine how I ever went to a gig without at least 3 camera bodies (two for use, one for backup), 3 flashes, etc.

You already have one very nice flash and one very nice lens (the 24-70).

I'd recommend trying to 2nd-shoot for someone for a year or so first; get yourself lots of valuable experience without having to worry about gear failure. This is also a great way to make enough money to buy that 2nd flash.

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 18, 2012 16:11 |  #4

Here is my blog post on the gear I feel is required for someone to photograph weddings as a professional.
http://redtiephotograp​hy.wordpress.com …al-wedding-photographers/ (external link)

Note, just because someone has this gear does not make them a professional. But I believe it is unprofessional to not be as prepared as I laid out.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 19, 2012 07:02 |  #5

I'd save the $'s for now to put them towards a faster prime. Or a wider lens (16-35 or 17-40), especially since 24mm is not very wide on a 7D.

Don't spend your money, invest it; even if that means you don't have enough now for the right next purchase.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 19, 2012 08:19 |  #6

Backup is important... but not just for the body...
if something happens to your 7D, you're out of action...
if something happens to your 24-70, you're now spending the day with a 50mm and a 55-250, and on a crop body, this really gives you no wide options...
if something happens to your flash, you're going with available light the rest of the day/night

Once you have a backup body, don't think of it as a backup... use 2 bodies simultaneously, different lenses will give you different options, and you're not swapping lenses as often

On the subject of flash... I always shoot with available light, and I my flashes are always available... The first time you will shoot a wedding with multiple flashes, you will see...

EOS R6’ / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 19, 2012 15:18 |  #7

I agree with Tim. I would suggest a 17 to 55 or a 17 to 50. If your 24 to 70 breaks or whatever, you are in DEEP trouble.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

rweav72
137 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 19, 2012 20:29 |  #8

Bryan (Red Tie Photography) has a great post on the essentials for equipment and can give you a goal to work toward.

Couple of suggestions for existing funds
Canon T2i-We have two of these at work and I am very impressed with the image quality for a Rebel build. B&H Photo had them the other day for 534.00. I would not be ashamed to have one of those for a backup.

Two great primes- Canon 85 1.8 and the Sigma 50 1.4 (especially if you plan to go full-frame someday) or the Sigma 30 1.4 if you think you'll be with a crop for awhile.

I like the Tamron 2.8 zooms that give good performance to price ratio. Slower focusing but excellent image quality.

Finally, this past summer I purchased Yongnuo 560(3) manual flashes for off camera flash ($65-70) and a Nissin 622 mk II for on camera ($200). I use Canon 430's at work and the Nissin is a little more powerful. Check out speedlights.net for general flash information. I have a set of basic cowboy studio triggers (2 transmitters 3 receivers) and just added Yongnuo 602's (2 triggers, 4 receivers) to be my primary set. The Yongnuo have better range.

Decide your priorities and then work toward what you think you need the most.
Good luck and Good light.

Ron Weaver
Canon 7D, 50D, 1D classic, Sigma 50 1.4, Canon 85 1.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8, 28-75 2.8, Canon 70-200L 2.8 non IS
Nissan 622, Vivitar 383, Yongnuo 560 (3)

MelissaJoppPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 20, 2012 12:11 |  #9

Thank you so much every body!! I feel that my next purchase is definitely a flash. Now I have to decide which is best for me. ( Keeping in mind I do a lot of portraits as well). The Red Tie information is incredibly helpful, thanks a lot!

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 20, 2012 15:52 |  #10

I would get teh YN-560. I have 3 and they are a great backup/OCF flash. That, and you could buy about 6 for the price of 1 580ex2

Bryan

MelissaJoppPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 20, 2012 22:41 |  #11

The YN-560 flash works along well with the 7d? You prefer this over the 430 exii?

MGiddings ­ Photography
964 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 21, 2012 09:26 |  #12

Buy a secondhand 5Dc, solves your backup problem and at last your 24-70 will work how it was meant to on a full frame sensor. Do not underestimate how good the 5DC is.

https://mgiddings.com (external link)

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 21, 2012 14:18 |  #13

MelissaJoppPhotography wrote in post #13741175 (external link)
The YN-560 flash works along well with the 7d? You prefer this over the 430 exii?

Yeah, it will work with the 7d. To me it comes down to a cost/benefit thing. I believe it has a bit more power than the 430, but it is only Manual (no ETTL). I am comfortable enough with flash now to find manual works well for me, but it all depends on how much certain thins are important to you.

Bryan

sponsored links

1,906 views & 0 likes for this thread
Next thing to add to my wedding equipment?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.