Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 19, 2012 23:56 |  #4261

I don't know. I guess my mindset is different.

I approach every shoot, no matter how small, as if it were on assignment for Architectural Digest. But I'm a perfectionist and I feel very grateful for every chance I get to shoot for money.

Every shoot gets all the attention to detail as every other, even if I'm just called out to shoot one photo in broad daylight.

That way, when a client comes along who is ready to throw down the big bucks (and there is at least one in EVERY market) I'm ready and I won't disappoint. Ask yourself if you're working for that person. It might not be a realtor. There are architects, architectural product corporations, magazines, hotels, ad agencies and resorts in every market.

Treat every RE shoot as if it were a shoot for them. So when opportunity knocks, you're ready. And don't say it's a matter of not having enough time - I can light a space w/ my current six light setup and get 8-10 photos in 90 minutes if I don't dick around and the house is ready.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

sponsored links
Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 20, 2012 01:35 |  #4262

I also agree with you on this. I just received all my gear to help me produce more appealing images that I can market to the higher end property, resort or luxury hotel. I will start practicing and when I get the technique down, I will approach the *right crowd for it.

By the way Mike, I got my equipment list from your blog, thx.

mikekelley wrote in post #13735917 (external link)

I approach every shoot, no matter how small, as if it were on assignment for Architectural Digest. But I'm a perfectionist and I feel very grateful for every chance I get to shoot for money.

Every shoot gets all the attention to detail as every other, even if I'm just called out to shoot one photo in broad daylight.

That way, when a client comes along who is ready to throw down the big bucks (and there is at least one in EVERY market) I'm ready and I won't disappoint. Ask yourself if you're working for that person. It might not be a realtor. There are architects, architectural product corporations, magazines, hotels, ad agencies and resorts in every market.

Treat every RE shoot as if it were a shoot for them. So when opportunity knocks, you're ready. And don't say it's a matter of not having enough time - I can light a space w/ my current six light setup and get 8-10 photos in 90 minutes if I don't dick around and the house is ready.

Canon 5D MkIII powered through the following Canon lenses: 16-35 f2.8 L MkII, 24-70 f2.8 L MkII, 70-200 f2.8 L MkII, 17mm TS-E f4 L, 24mm TS-E f2.8 L MkII and 85mm f1.2 L MkII.
Feedback

discoduck
514 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 20, 2012 06:55 |  #4263

Joe.Recon wrote in post #13735230 (external link)
I agree with you. It's up to the photographer to adjust to the market or he might lose clients and business.

To give you an example of the market I have to compete with, here is a listing of one of the R/E Photography services offered in my city of Ottawa Ontario:

http://www.photography​ottawa.com/realestate/​investment.html (external link)

His services fees are low compared to so many in other states or provinces but in order to compete with these photographers, we (photographers from Ottawa and it's region) have to lower our prices to be competitive in our regional market.

I already have a full time job and only do photography as a side income so the 2 agents I work with serve me with enough contracts to help me pay for my equipment and other stuff (vacation, etc, etc.)

Wow that's pretty expensive... Here in Toronto, the lowest is $139 and it includes a virtual tour website with pano tour. Although their photos aren't even that great to begin with....

I actually have to undercut these guys so I can get work.

5Dc | 17-40 L
LivingPhoto.ca (external link) - Real Estate Photography
Facebook (external link) - How about a "Like"? :D

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 20, 2012 08:58 |  #4264

gnwatts wrote in post #13735189 (external link)
Thanks Tyler,
The light was very even and bright, but the sky was darker in reality than it seems in the image. I turned the lights up as bright as they would go, which raised them maybe a stop.
Greg

Thanks for sharing! I think it came out great! I have a Twilight shoot to do next week, so I'm going to try and see if I can be as successful with mine.

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 20, 2012 09:16 |  #4265

mikekelley wrote in post #13735917 (external link)

You know, I think this is the first time you ever explained it like this. NOW, I completely understand your mindset.

I approach each shoot with the mentality that I need to make sure I take good enough photos to make sure my client's listing stands out from the rest, and that my photos make buyers want to see that property. This mindset has served me very well, but at the same time it has kept me right where I am, a RE photographer.

This new insight you have shared certainly makes me think about the way I think!

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

gadiodati1060
60 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 21, 2012 07:59 |  #4266

Hi, I have been admiring all of your work here for a few months. I am a commercial real estate broker and photography has been a part of my life since I was young. Recently, being inspired by most of the work here, I thought of using my photography passion to supplement income is a still slow real estate market.

The following photos are of a building that I represent the owners. They are trying to refinance now that we have taken the building from 45% occupancy to over 90%. My first go at doing this for other than personal interest. The partnership was very happy with the result.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7157/6733304809_307210e5e2_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/greg_diodati/6​733304809/  (external link) IMG_0422-Edit 8x10 Print (external link) by Greg Diodati (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7163/6733308211_6f203b38ba_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/greg_diodati/6​733308211/  (external link) FuelCell Interior 8x10 Print (external link) by Greg Diodati (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7008/6733311097_5b92d79500_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/greg_diodati/6​733311097/  (external link)
IMG_0435 8x10 Print (external link) by Greg Diodati (external link), on Flickr

Thanks for looking,

5Dc gripped | EF 17-40L f4 | EF 28-135mm IS | EF 75-300mm IS

ScottKCooper
Goldmember
1,500 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 21, 2012 08:37 |  #4267

gadiodati1060 wrote in post #13742370 (external link)
Hi, I have been admiring all of your work here for a few months. I am a commercial real estate broker and photography has been a part of my life since I was young. Recently, being inspired by most of the work here, I thought of using my photography passion to supplement income is a still slow real estate market.

The following photos are of a building that I represent the owners. They are trying to refinance now that we have taken the building from 45% occupancy to over 90%. My first go at doing this for other than personal interest. The partnership was very happy with the result.

Thanks for looking,

Welcome and thanks for posting your story, and some of your recent work! I love that you are in real estate, and looking to improve your photography skills. I know it will help you better market your listings, and help with buffering your income!

On the second and third shot, shadows are your enemy. That is where this forum can help you out. Learning to better light the dark areas will be key in ramping up your skills. With that many windows (especially the car shot), you can't really overpower the light coming in to balance the photo. It may be a case of take the shot when the light isn't pouring in so heavilly, and then you can add light to details and dark spots with flash and multiple exposures. The conference room would have likely been a good candidate for lighting, or HDR work. I would suggest not taking the room square-on (your back flat against the back wall with the other three showing in the shot), but a couple wall shot Keep posting!

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1276863

gnwatts
266 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 21, 2012 08:42 as a reply to  @ gadiodati1060's post |  #4268

I like your shots.
You did not state you wanted comments but I can't help it.
You might consider on #1 getting closer to eliminate the street, focus on the raised corner of the building (the coolest part of the building IMO
) at a more acute angle so you can still show the rest of the structure too. # 2 you could turn the fluorescent lights on, they look like they might help light the ceiling. # 3 pulling back a little will give you more of the scene, as you centered the shot but cut off the lighting fixtures etc. I would also keep your verticals vertical.
I hope this helps.
Greg

Greg
5DII * 17mm TS-E * 24mm TS-Ell * 17-40mmL * Zeiss 35-70mm * Zeiss 80-200mm
http://gnwatts.photosh​elter.com (external link)

P12
209 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 22, 2012 06:37 as a reply to  @ gnwatts's post |  #4269

Here is a couple shots from a job I did for the builder. The sun was giving me fits. (please note location of sun in #2)

IMAGE: http://cache.nebula.phx3.secureserver.net/obj/MUNBQUUwRjA4Qjc3OUYzMUQyQUM6ODdiZTFhMDcxZTYwODc2MjI3NmQxMTg1N2RlMmJlMDU=

IMAGE: http://cache.nebula.phx3.secureserver.net/obj/MUNBQUUwRjA4Qjc3OUYzMUQyQUM6YTkxYzg2ZWE0ZTFjYmU1MmZhODA3MGQ5OWJmMzc3ZGU=

IMAGE: http://cache.nebula.phx3.secureserver.net/obj/MUNBQUUwRjA4Qjc3OUYzMUQyQUM6N2U4NGQ3MzRhZjE0OWUzODNmODUxYWYyMDJjYjBjYTc=

IMAGE: http://cache.nebula.phx3.secureserver.net/obj/MUNBQUUwRjA4Qjc3OUYzMUQyQUM6OWMxOWY4ZTIzYjQ5YWZmNTJlYzNmMWMzNWJkOTIwYjE=

These are all single exposures using 1 and 1/2 speed lights. I say 1/2 because it's a piece of junk Bower. Very limited on output adjustments.

I used the technique talked about in the book by Scott Hargis. here (external link)
So how did I do?

Pentax Kx, Sigma 12-24 4.5-5.6, Pentax 18-55 1:3.5-5.6, Asahi Pentax-M 1:2 50mm.
See I do own a => Canon Powershot A630, Sigma EF 530 Super.
www.lenbetts.com (external link)

P12
209 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 22, 2012 07:34 as a reply to  @ P12's post |  #4270

I also ask that you guys critique my portfolio if I need to do some re-edits or if I need to drop some. portfolio (external link)

Just realized I'm no longer a Junior Member. I guess now I need to work towards the coveted "Senior" status.

Pentax Kx, Sigma 12-24 4.5-5.6, Pentax 18-55 1:3.5-5.6, Asahi Pentax-M 1:2 50mm.

DaveKosiba
597 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 22, 2012 08:32 |  #4271

P12, two things on your portfolio link;

1) The slide roll in the middle of the screen shows me lots of blanks pictures when I click on the thumbnail below. Possibly an incompatibility between my browser (Safari Mac) and your web page.

2) I see you have a Sigma 12-24 but most of the interior shots just don't seem very wide, I feel that I'm missing much of the room due to a more narrow field of view.

EOS 6D MkII, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 85 1.8, 70-200L f/4 IS, 16-35 f/4L IS, 430 EXII, Luma Cinch Strap

P12
209 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 22, 2012 20:49 |  #4272

DaveKosiba wrote in post #13747406 (external link)
P12, two things on your portfolio link;

1) The slide roll in the middle of the screen shows me lots of blanks pictures when I click on the thumbnail below. Possibly an incompatibility between my browser (Safari Mac) and your web page.

2) I see you have a Sigma 12-24 but most of the interior shots just don't seem very wide, I feel that I'm missing much of the room due to a more narrow field of view.

About 1/2 of the pics were before I purchased the Sigma. Also I'm shooting a cropped sensor.

Don't know what to say about the missing pics on the portfolio. I'm running firefox on a windows 7 box. I could download and install the safari browser and check it out.

Thanks for looking.

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 22, 2012 22:15 |  #4273

P12 wrote in post #13747220 (external link)
I also ask that you guys critique my portfolio if I need to do some re-edits or if I need to drop some. portfolio (external link)

Just realized I'm no longer a Junior Member. I guess now I need to work towards the coveted "Senior" status.

Not sure this is possible, but I would prefer to see a larger image and see one at a time. The way this gallery shows images, it shows one and then part of two others and they are really close together. It makes it hard for me to focus on the center photo because the adjacent photos are drawing my eye away. I think this particular gallery is working against you.

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but that was the first thing that jumped out at me.

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 22, 2012 22:22 as a reply to  @ TGrundvig's post |  #4274

This is from a shoot I did for a new builder client on Friday.

C&C is appreciated, I would really like to impress this builder.

I know I need to clean up the wires, but let me know if you see anything else.

Should I put the builder's logo on the TV?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jill-of-all-Trades
far from having everything figured out!
16,299 posts
Gallery: 120 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 22, 2012 22:58 |  #4275

TGrundvig wrote in post #13751222 (external link)
This is from a shoot I did for a new builder client on Friday.

C&C is appreciated, I would really like to impress this builder.

I know I need to clean up the wires, but let me know if you see anything else.

Should I put the builder's logo on the TV?

Maybe get rid of the smoke alarm and whatever else that round thing is on the ceiling. The lamp on the left looks odd with the lightbulb showing through.

Melody

sponsored links

2,059,593 views & 1,711 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.