Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Jan 2012 (Friday) 08:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Might return to Nikon ?

iamatrix
104 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 20, 2012 08:30 |  #1

I have been a long time Nikon shooter who switched to Canon a few years back. I am thinking of returning and here is why....

1) Lenses. As a prime shooter I find that Nikon's prosumer line-up of primes is better. The 35 1.8 DX, the 50 1.8 G, and now the recently announced 85 1.8 G. It's the holy trinity of affordable primes. To me the aging primes in Canon's line-up leaves a lot to be desired.

2) Bodies. I miss Nikon bodies. They just feel so much better in your hands and there is nothing like the connection that one has with his/her camera. That being said I do find the placement of buttons and menus more logical on Canon systems.

3) Focusing. Nikon's focusing: one word accurate. I have owned a number of bodies over the years and even Nikon's cheapest SLRs are spot on accurate. I rarely ever had an OOF shot with a Nikon SLR. With Canon I would say my keeper rate is 1 in 3.

In Canon's favor I prefer the Canon 'look' to it's image processing (and this does count for a lot when making my decision). I often here people state "shoot RAW and color doesn't matter argument", but that is a bunch of b.s: I find Nikon and Canon cameras even using Lightroom deliver different looks - it's a signature of the camera itself.

I definitely have trouble with this decision, I find both systems have an equal share of pros and cons. Sometimes I wish they would merge LOL !

sponsored links
smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 20, 2012 08:49 |  #2

Life's too short to stick with something you dislike - just be careful of the "grass is greener on the other side" mentality

Good luck!

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

iamatrix
THREAD ­ STARTER
104 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 20, 2012 08:57 |  #3

smorter wrote in post #13737107 (external link)
Life's too short to stick with something you dislike - just be careful of the "grass is greener on the other side" mentality

Good luck!

I suffer from that quite a bit. I own Nikon, want Canon, own Canon, want Nikon - :)

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 20, 2012 08:59 |  #4

Also definitely agree with you that different cameras have different looks that is very difficult to standardise in post

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 20, 2012 09:00 |  #5

Ok?

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 20, 2012 09:01 |  #6

How many times do you want to do this before you realize that the limitation is not the gear but the person behind the viewfinder? I always shake my head when I read these type of postings.

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 20, 2012 09:02 |  #7

iamatrix wrote in post #13737024 (external link)
....Sometimes I wish they would merge LOL !

But, if that happened, the corporate marketing types would conduct all kinds of customer surveys, and end up with a Canon body with the Nikon look to the images, the Canon AF system, the Nikon menus, the Canon primes, the Nikon zooms (but painted white)... ;)

Tom

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 20, 2012 09:05 |  #8

5Dmaniac wrote in post #13737177 (external link)
How many times do you want to do this before you realize that the limitation is not the gear but the person behind the viewfinder? I always shake my head when I read these type of postings.

I don't think this is an issue here, only 1 of the OP's points could be taken to be a photographer-induced limitation. The other points are perfectly valid in their own right. Canon's lower end primes do leave a lot to be desired in some cases, and are indeed getting old. The feel of a camera body is entirely personal. Both of these factors can only be solved by switching, not by working on skills. The point on AF however, has me in doubt. My keeper rate in terms of AF where I am not to blame is quite high on the percentage scale, topping 90% easily, and I only use a lowly rebel.

What I don't get is why people feel the need to post things like this when there is no inherent purpose in the post i.e. there is no question being asked, nor opinion being sought. It is simple a statement of reason.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,240 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 20, 2012 09:09 |  #9

Sirrith wrote in post #13737187 (external link)
What I don't get is why people feel the need to post things like this when there is no inherent purpose in the post i.e. there is no question being asked, nor opinion being sought. It is simple a statement of reason.

Maybe they are simply looking for validation or being talked out of the decision. But I agree, the purpose of the OP could have been made more clear.

Of course, it could also be a post to light up the fanboys on both sides as well and get a good old fashion Nikon sucks/Canon sucks thread going.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

freshcargo
361 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 20, 2012 09:09 |  #10

iamatrix wrote in post #13737024 (external link)
Sometimes I wish they would merge LOL !

^ that's called Sony!

Matt

1DsMk III, 5DII, 17-40L. 135L. 70-200mmL II. 50mm F/1.4

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 20, 2012 09:14 as a reply to  @ freshcargo's post |  #11

yawn

Neal1029
101 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 20, 2012 09:21 |  #12

See ya

5DMK III,16-35L 2.8, 24-70L 2.8, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 580 EX II x 2

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 20, 2012 09:27 |  #13

Neal1029 wrote in post #13737270 (external link)
See ya

Or as it was so eloquently said....Link (external link)

:D

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 20, 2012 10:31 |  #14

Bottom line is do you really believe your photos will improve significantly by changing brands? I doubt it.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,921 posts
Gallery: 1735 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Jan 20, 2012 10:45 |  #15

Go ahead and switch back. And switch back to Canon again and switch back to Nikon afterwards.

It's your money, it's your life. While it may seem impractical to some/many, doesn't mean it's not right for you. I couldn't imagine doing it but that's just my opinion if applied to me. Sometimes, we make what seem like illogical decisions... but as long as those decisions don't affect anyone else adversely, then decide away.

So if swapping gear doesn't adversely affect your ability to support your family (wife/husband/kids if you've got them), then it's your money... go for it! Wish you the best.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links

3,816 views & 0 likes for this thread
Might return to Nikon ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.