Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 20 Jan 2012 (Friday) 01:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My first effort at Color Correction video, please C&C.

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 20, 2012 01:41 |  #1

So after seeing Michael Solomon's thread on his Color Grading Reel (beautiful work again Michael! https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1139325 ) I decided that I should finally give it a go. I've had the Technicolor CineStyle picture profile downloaded to my camera for about a month and a half now and have never shot anything with it.

So I went out to my front yard and shot a few quick clips of my rose garden in it's dormant state during winter. There are still some dried up red roses hanging on the thicker stalks and shockingly they still have color and beauty in them.

So again, this is my first full blown CC effort working with a picture profile that needs grading. The CineStyle PP is a flat, lifeless look that offers some interesting options and helps to expand the dynamic range of these cameras a bit. It's pretty amazing what you can see in the darker areas using this PP as opposed to other profiles. With the contrast set so low you see details in the blacks that would otherwise be lost. And through proper CC, some of those details should be retained in the final look.

Now, did I get that? I'm not sure. Heck I'm not even sure I did any of this right. I was basically fumbling my way though this. Learning as I went.
It's funny how long this took considering that this video is only about 36 seconds long!

So tell me what you think. Did I over do it? Did I under do it. It's so hard to tell being this close and having no real idea about this stuff.

Anyhow, thanks for looking!

http://vimeo.com/35361​101 (external link)

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

sponsored links
John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 20, 2012 02:15 |  #2

I think that looks pretty damn good. Awesome even.

What did you use to make the changes? Was this in Vegas or did you use Magic Bullet?

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

Sickone
240 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 20, 2012 02:57 |  #3

Great job on that, for a first attempt it was pretty spot on imo. I try messing about with CC once in a while but must be colour blind or something as mine never comes out this nice.

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Jan 20, 2012 14:34 |  #4

I've been doing film for local TV broadcast for a few years now and I've come to the point where I want as RAW video as possibly from my camera's. No style's or color presets are used because I want as much flexibility as possible when in PP. I find it dangerous (in paid projects) to select a profile or 'look' to shoot in-camera because it will be near impossible to change later. That said, there is no "wrong" way to color video. Don't get stuck on the technical aspects like using scopes. Scopes should only really be used to make sure you're within broadcasting limits (though that's pretty blurred now). The same with audio.

Use whatever color combinations you want or mimic movie styles to accomplish the creative side. Some other things to note:

1) Once you find a style you like, save it! Make notes about camera settings and if your software doesn't have the ability to save style presets, write your settings down.
2) Opposites look best in video. Use colors from opposite sides of the color spectrum in combination to make your style pop. Blue-Yellow, Purple-Green, Red-Cyan are some examples. Give it a try.
3) Use color to denote a feel. Blue is of course cold, brown usually denotes dry, red is denotes heat.
4) Use two layered colors to make dramatic impacts. A good example is blue and orange (remember, opposites look good). Lighting the background blue and human subjects with orange in the foreground adds a technically visual coldness of machine to human comparison. Go watch Transformers in scenes where there are computer screens (tech stuff) in the background with Shia LaBeouf in the foreground (Example 1 (external link)). To humanize the Transformers orange is used on the foreground (on the robot) and blue is used on the background.

I know, this goes over the top of what you were asking, but color theory can be a very powerful tool if used right or can make your videos look visually boring.

LiberationFrequency
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 20, 2012 14:55 |  #5

Not too bad, but a few points.

You pushed the magentas too far, your blowing out the reds on the flowers a little bit. Im guessing all you did was a primary correction? You can pull the reds back independently when you do a secondary or color channel curves correction fairly easily to recover any blown color that occurred when you went for the initial look.

Since all these shots are the same exact thing (not really, but you know what I mean) so can't really say too much else. Except this is color grading, not really color correction. I color correct for sports/news, I color grade for promos and artsy stuff.

kamek
135 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 20, 2012 16:34 |  #6

Chas, good job getting color back into the image after shooting Cinestyle. Damn those images are warm!

Brian
5D MKII & 5D MKIII | 24-70L, 70-200 IS II L, 24L, 50L, 135L

ChasWG
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 21, 2012 01:09 |  #7

Thanks for the comments folks! Much appreciated.

MaxxuM, nice break down and a lot of great info. I have no training in video post other than I have been a part of producing many, many videos over my 19 or so years in the video production world. I'm a sound mixer by trade that is getting into shooting more of my own video for my own enjoyment and I've been paid a few times now for using my 7D of a couple shoots, besides getting paid to do audio. So it works out and I'm learning all the while. This site is generally a great resource of knowledge and commodity, thanks for putting in the time to help me out!

LF, I do think you are correct in your assessment. I too think I went too far with the reds and need to do a secondary pass to pull those back a bit. I like the warm colors for sure, but the reds are a bit over the top now that I have stepped away from it for a day (real audio work gets in the way some times :rolleyes: ). The beauty of using Vegas is that nothing is every really finalized. I can go back in there and run a secondary pass over things, using yours and others suggestions.

Again, thanks for the kind words and critiques! :D That's a lot of hard work. I might just stay with some of the more "finished" picture profiles that I have found and like using. I have done some actual color correction to a few scenes in some of my other videos to illicit a certain feeling from a shot after those scenes were shot using a finished profile.

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8

Cetre
336 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 24, 2012 09:58 |  #8

Loved the spider that crept into the shot! You should post a before and after or side-by-side comparison of ungraded/graded. This way we can see just how much was done in your grade. Just a thought!

-Cetre
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
---------------
A camera, some lenses, some flashes.

ChasWG
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 24, 2012 12:33 |  #9

I wish I knew how to do those cool, split screen shots. I'm such a newb with Vegas, I learn something new each time I mess with it and I'm sure it can do that, but I'm the issue... :rolleyes:

Chas Gordon

sponsored links

1,814 views & 0 likes for this thread
My first effort at Color Correction video, please C&C.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.