Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 18 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 20:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OCF Wedding Reception

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 20, 2012 16:52 |  #16

umphotography wrote in post #13739616 (external link)
Nick

Are you triggering the strobe seperately or does the flash sensor pick up the flash from the 580. Also if you using 2 strobes, will triggering one work based on what you have done so far or just use 3 triggers. So they are separate.

I am triggering the strobes (Einstein and AB800) via radio, so no, they don't pick up the flash from the 580EXII. The 580EXII fires via the hot shoe and the strobes fire via the CST (attached to the 580EXII via Velcro) connected to the 5D2's PC Sync port.

For the AB800, I have a cable plugged in to it with nothing on the other end, which bypasses the optical trigger. I have a CSRB+ receiver hooked up via phone jack. I have the trigger that goes into the built-in socket on the Einstein and have the optical trigger turned off IIRC.

I can set up groups via the Cyber Commander I suppose. Never really tried that. I always have the 2 strobes firing away. I never move the strobes either. I might remotely change the power settings once in a while via the Cyber Commander.

Working well for me so far.

sponsored links
unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 20, 2012 17:54 |  #17

Ok awesome thanks alot nick really appreciate it. I wish i can be a guest at one of your weddings lol. Im gonna take a look at the place soon. Only saw it from a cell phone pic that my brother sent me.

unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 20, 2012 18:33 |  #18

Well i kept trying to use my 580ex on camera with the piece i have and it wont fire them. Looks like i might have to get the other piece from zebra and use it that way. just dont no if i want to spend the 60$ on that piece. Any other way?

tim
Light Bringer
50,988 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 20, 2012 18:38 |  #19

unlimited6986 wrote in post #13740071 (external link)
Well i kept trying to use my 580ex on camera with the piece i have and it wont fire them. Looks like i might have to get the other piece from zebra and use it that way. just dont no if i want to spend the 60$ on that piece. Any other way?

Piece? Just put the 580 in the hotshoe and connect the radio trigger via a locking PC cable from FZ.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 20, 2012 18:50 |  #20

Sorry i had it on the other page, I have the 580 exV1 so i dont have the sync port. I currently have this piece:

http://www.flashzebra.​com/products/0138/inde​x.shtml (external link)

If i attach that to the flash then the top of the camera it wont fire the flash. Which i figured because it doesnt have the connectors on the bottom of the flash to tell it to fire (Sorry don't know the exact name) then i attach the wire to the PW and wouldn't fire anything.

tim
Light Bringer
50,988 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 20, 2012 20:30 |  #21

It's not designed for that. Do what I said in the post above, if your camera has a PC socket. I have an example in this thread.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 20, 2012 22:42 |  #22

Ahh ok so I buy that cord and hook it to my 5dmkii then just directly to the pw awesome thanks alot.

tim
Light Bringer
50,988 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 20, 2012 23:43 |  #23

Welcome, easy when you know how :)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 21, 2012 06:44 |  #24

unlimited6986 wrote in post #13741179 (external link)
Ahh ok so I buy that cord and hook it to my 5dmkii then just directly to the pw awesome thanks alot.

Or buy triggers that allow you to trigger and use an ETTL flash all out of the camera's hot shoe. No cables or velcro.

I happen to be selling my original set of Stratos which do this (one transmitter and two receivers) for $110 delivered:

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1129799

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

patrick ­ clarke
251 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 02, 2012 22:19 as a reply to  @ post 13730880 |  #25

hi peacefield
what do you think about the reliability of the stratos ?? is it comparable to cybersyncs in terms of range and lack of misfires
also if i had stratos and alien bees would i need to buy extra cords to connect them
thanks in advance for your response

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 03, 2012 07:19 |  #26

patrick clarke wrote in post #14370335 (external link)
hi peacefield
what do you think about the reliability of the stratos ?? is it comparable to cybersyncs in terms of range and lack of misfires
also if i had stratos and alien bees would i need to buy extra cords to connect them
thanks in advance for your response

I love my Stratos. I rarely ever had a problem with Cybersync's reliablity, but I've NEVER had a problem with my Stratos.

What I really appreciate with the Stratos over the Cybersyncs (and others) is that I still get to have an ETTL flash on camera (though I tend to fire that flash in M), I still get focus assist which is important, there's no velcro or tape holding the contraption together, and best of all, I can turn each of the room strobes on or off individually from camera.

It's not all ETTL like the most expensive triggers, but once you're comfortable working in M, these triggers turn out to be a real bargain (IMO)

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

patrick ­ clarke
251 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 03, 2012 07:23 as a reply to  @ Peacefield's post |  #27

thanks robert
think i'll give them a try

sponsored links

5,445 views & 0 likes for this thread
OCF Wedding Reception
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.