Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 19 Jan 2012 (Thursday) 19:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do I get work and break into Event photography?

snappy7
111 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 19, 2012 19:03 |  #1

Hi all. I've been looking at event photography as a possible route to go with my photography.
I do wonder how you go about getting the work? Advertising in the general media I don't see working at all. So there must be some other way in. I seems like a closed door. People that organise events need to find (if they need) photograhers but event photography is a bit of unknown thing imo.

Any advice and tips that could help me get started in this field would be so very helpful and much appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

Canon 5d Mkii ~ f/4 24-105L USM ~ EF 50mm f/1.8 II
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM ~dye Speedlite 580EX Mkii. Mitsubishi CP-D707-DW dye-sub double printer. Bowen 500's & Lastolite 400's flash heads. Lastolite TriFlector

sponsored links
Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 19, 2012 19:59 |  #2

This is less advice than it is mere description of what I did, but I got my first gig ever via Craigslist. I had nothing of a portfolio but for a dozen people shots I took at various friends' parties. I shot with nothing but a 5d, a 50mm and a 430ex flash and was paid about $20 / hour for my effort.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 19, 2012 23:02 |  #3

First off, event photography is certainly not an unknown thing....it's a very competitive market. Depending on the types of events you would like to shoot, figure out who your target audience is and start targeting them. You could run Facebook ads, local ads, direct mail or collaborate with other event organizers in your area. Once you determine who your customers would be, do some research on how to reach them with and offer your services.

PhotosGuy
75,913 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 20, 2012 08:58 |  #4

Event Photographers....talk to me.

Online orders question

Reasons people don't buy online

And since you used a descriptive title, the forum has done a mini-search for you. Look at the links at the very bottom left hand corner of this page.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

snappy7
THREAD ­ STARTER
111 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 20, 2012 20:48 |  #5

[QUOTE=PhotosGuy;13737​155]Event Photographers....talk to me.

Online orders question

Reasons people don't buy online

And since you used a descriptive title, the forum has done a mini-search for you. Look at the links at the very bottom left hand corner of this page.[/QUOTE

and are you working events now? ur proper stuffed without a dyesub it's all pointless. Pll want something to take home. Thats where the $$ is.

EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM ~dye Speedlite 580EX Mkii. Mitsubishi CP-D707-DW dye-sub double printer. Bowen 500's & Lastolite 400's flash heads. Lastolite TriFlector

snappy7
THREAD ­ STARTER
111 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 20, 2012 20:52 |  #6

jra wrote in post #13735757 (external link)
First off, event photography is certainly not an unknown thing....it's a very competitive market. Depending on the types of events you would like to shoot, figure out who your target audience is and start targeting them. You could run Facebook ads, local ads, direct mail or collaborate with other event organizers in your area. Once you determine who your customers would be, do some research on how to reach them with and offer your services.

Thanks. I'm equipped to do most eventd with the exception of large sports events. I could cover a 3-400 ppl gig. I recon. My dydsub just spits em out!

Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 21, 2012 00:05 |  #7

I'll tell you what worked in my case. I cover a lot of events, and I don't shoot all of them. So I often hire others to shoot for me. While one of my hired photogs was covering an event for me, there was another photog shooting there also. He wasn't working, just shooting on his own. He was chatting up one of my photogs, learned my photog was shooting for "me" :cool:, and then offered to share his pics with us for free. So he sent us his pics, and they were pretty good. I think we ended up using a few.

But, he didn't say thanks and let us forget about him. He was persistant enough to send us more pics (for free) from other events too. And now, that same photographer has a job with us shooting events.

Now, it doesn't always work out this way. But sometimes if you go to the type of events you want to shoot, and meet the right people and offer to share some of your work... you might just be able to use the opportunity to get real work from it.

j-dogg
Goldmember
1,292 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 21, 2012 00:06 as a reply to  @ Ledrak's post |  #8

It's not what you know it's who you know.

5D / 400d / 70-200-4LIS / 50 Mk.I / 28-70
RB67 Pro-S / 50-90-180 Holy Trinity, 120/polaroid back
Graphic View I 4x5 / Schneider 180 / Meyer 135 / Ektar 127

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 21, 2012 01:01 |  #9

j-dogg wrote in post #13741463 (external link)
It's not what you know it's who you know.

yup!

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

snappy7
THREAD ­ STARTER
111 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 21, 2012 09:39 |  #10

JacobPhoto wrote in post #13741639 (external link)
yup!

and to a point you'd both be right but that doesn't help me :)

Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 22, 2012 01:05 |  #11

snappy7 wrote in post #13742665 (external link)

Sure it does. One thing you can do is start networking with companies that typically need event photography. I shoot running races, kids triathlons and to get started I contacted small races who didn't have a photographer. I shot the race & sold the images, used the images to demonstrate my ability to book more races.

I also shoot public & private events and am linked in with a few event marketing companies who hire me. Again, I seemed them out and started building a relationship with them. If you know the market it's not difficult but it can take time. If you don't know the market you have some homework to do.

Go get 'em

Lindsey
Gear - Website (external link)

snappy7
THREAD ­ STARTER
111 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 22, 2012 06:17 |  #12

Rubi Jane wrote in post #13746486 (external link)
Sure it does. One thing you can do is start networking with companies that typically need event photography. I shoot running races, kids triathlons and to get started I contacted small races who didn't have a photographer. I shot the race & sold the images, used the images to demonstrate my ability to book more races.

I also shoot public & private events and am linked in with a few event marketing companies who hire me. Again, I seemed them out and started building a relationship with them. If you know the market it's not difficult but it can take time. If you don't know the market you have some homework to do.

Go get 'em

Thanks for that. I've backed off of calling event organisers because I've so little of these type of images. I was thinking of waiting to approach them. I'm thinking if I have nothing to show they'll never want to know me after if they are placing me they wanna know I can do the job.

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 22, 2012 06:48 |  #13

^^You need to build a portfolio first, before anything else.

"The general rule for flash photography is that you want the flash to go off while the shutter is open" (Titus213)

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 23, 2012 02:52 |  #14

snappy7 wrote in post #13742665 (external link)

What do you expect? a list of contacts?

go out and meet people. Show them your photography. Hope that someone likes your stuff and gives you a shot.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

snappy7
THREAD ­ STARTER
111 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 24, 2012 10:37 |  #15

JacobPhoto wrote in post #13752084 (external link)
What do you expect? a list of contacts?

go out and meet people. Show them your photography. Hope that someone likes your stuff and gives you a shot.

that would be delightful. Thanks for the help I'll pm you my details

sponsored links

9,491 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do I get work and break into Event photography?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.