Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Oct 2011 (Tuesday) 00:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OFFICIAL: Canon 1D X announced

Candersson
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 20, 2012 13:30 |  #2851

K6AZ wrote in post #13734326 (external link)
I have no plans to jump on it immediately so we'll see. I see you have the same bodies I have, what about this 1D X makes you want to jump on it right away?

I don't expect to jump on it right away. If the body is available in the US in March that would probably mean that it will be widely available here in Sweden by the summer.
This also mean a few months of reports from early users ;)

In my case I'm looking for the ISO performance and FF dynamic (and a few more things of course).
IF it will deliver up to my expectations... that's another question.

- Thomas -
1DX/1DIV/7D/5DmkII and Lenses | WWW (external link)
So much to learn, so little time...

sponsored links
Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,057 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 20, 2012 13:55 |  #2852

Candersson wrote in post #13738576 (external link)
If the body is available in the US in March that would probably mean that it will be widely available here in Sweden by the summer.

I pre-ordered and that's when I'll probably get mine as well.

I'm hoping for May but from what I understand I'll be lucky if I'm holding it before July.

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

jdizzle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 20, 2012 16:03 |  #2853

No ISO samples yet from Canon. :p

Candersson
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 20, 2012 17:47 as a reply to  @ jdizzle's post |  #2854

...and no RAW either :mad: :p

- Thomas -
1DX/1DIV/7D/5DmkII and Lenses | WWW (external link)
So much to learn, so little time...

jdizzle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 20, 2012 19:08 |  #2855

Candersson wrote in post #13739901 (external link)
...and no RAW either :mad: :p

I know!! Grrrr! :p

squaresnappr
278 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 20, 2012 19:37 as a reply to  @ jdizzle's post |  #2856

There is an unveiling here in Toronto on Feb 15 and I was invited by Canon so I confirmed.
Vincent Laforet is the keynote speaker. The C300 and the 1DX will be unveiled. Anyone else get that email because Vancouver is the 15th and Montreal is the 16 th. I have never been to one before but can't wait to check out this camera.

I know, I know the camera is not even out yet but I am still excited.

My Gear
http://www.solofotogra​phy.com (external link)
http://www.modelmayhem​.com/1896508 (external link)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 20, 2012 19:52 |  #2857

squaresnappr wrote in post #13740415 (external link)
There is an unveiling here in Toronto on Feb 15 and I was invited by Canon so I confirmed.
Vincent Laforet is the keynote speaker. The C300 and the 1DX will be unveiled. Anyone else get that email because Vancouver is the 15th and Montreal is the 16 th. I have never been to one before but can't wait to check out this camera.

The C300 is already up for sale at US dealers with a shipping date noted of Jan 30. As of last week Canon was still saying that the 1D X was not finished yet, whatever that means. Some of speculated firmware in which case may be done fairly quickly. If they're still tinkering with the hardware it may be longer. I'd be interested in knowing if that unveiling is a pre-production or production copy.

Flickr (external link)

squaresnappr
278 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 20, 2012 20:03 |  #2858

K6AZ wrote in post #13740481 (external link)
The C300 is already up for sale at US dealers with a shipping date noted of Jan 30. As of last week Canon was still saying that the 1D X was not finished yet, whatever that means. Some of speculated firmware in which case may be done fairly quickly. If they're still tinkering with the hardware it may be longer. I'd be interested in knowing if that unveiling is a pre-production or production copy.

Oh so I guess this is old news and didn't know. I more interested in the unveiling of the 1DX though. I hope I can try it out because they describe saying they will have a whole lineup of EF lenses to try out on the dslrs.

My Gear

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 20, 2012 20:10 |  #2859

squaresnappr wrote in post #13740537 (external link)
Oh so I guess this is old news and didn't know. I more interested in the unveiling of the 1DX though. I hope I can try it out because they describe saying they will have a whole lineup of EF lenses to try out on the dslrs.

The cinema lenses? I looked at those and just shook my head, obviously geared towards pro video. The lenses are all around $45,000. The body is interesting at $16k but if I was going to spend that kind of money on a body it would be MF.

Flickr (external link)

squaresnappr
278 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 20, 2012 20:30 |  #2860

K6AZ wrote in post #13740562 (external link)
The cinema lenses? I looked at those and just shook my head, obviously geared towards pro video. The lenses are all around $45,000. The body is interesting at $16k but if I was going to spend that kind of money on a body it would be MF.

It says the EF line of lenses and selection of newly announced cine-lenses. I have no interest in the cine-lenses though and it seems they are quite expensive just by your description. It seems you are into pro video.

I am looking forward to the unveiling of the Canon 1DX and i really hope I can try one out.

My Gear

picard
Goldmember
1,996 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 20, 2012 21:28 |  #2861

squaresnappr wrote in post #13740415 (external link)

how do I get invited to the unveiling event by Canon ?

Canon 1DM4,7D, Rebel XT
580 EX II, 430 EX II
Canon 70-200mm IS II L , Canon 85mm F1.2 L II, Canon macro 100mm F/2.8, 18-55mm kit
Sigma 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm, Sigma 50mm F/1.4
Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 EX DG HSM

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 20, 2012 21:51 |  #2862

squaresnappr wrote in post #13740643 (external link)
It says the EF line of lenses and selection of newly announced cine-lenses. I have no interest in the cine-lenses though and it seems they are quite expensive just by your description. It seems you are into pro video.

I am looking forward to the unveiling of the Canon 1DX and i really hope I can try one out.

Me? Into pro video? :lol: No, but I do follow the Canon news and this new video line has been in it a lot lately not to mention several emails from B&H.

If they're talking about EF lenses meant for still bodies there have been a bunch of rumors out there but not sure if they would be coming out with something new or just displaying their current lineup.

Flickr (external link)

Jimlevitt
190 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 21, 2012 03:31 |  #2863

rejay14 wrote in post #13724063 (external link)
Two bodies for two different jobs:
7D if it moves, 5Dii for everything else.... Jeep vs Minivan, Pickup truck vs Mercedes. All good vehicles for specific situations.

Following this thread I just did a highly scientific test on a glass in my living room just now:

5Dii centre focused fast and accurate, outer point hunted ad-nauseum. I did a fashion shoot in a dark lounge with just a hot-shoe flash, gave up on the 5Dii and switched to the 7D. Much more accurate focusing.

And therein lies the problem: the 5Dii produces a much nicer file than the 7D in a dark lounge - but the AF system on the 5Dii doesn't do very well in a dark lounge! The focusing capability of a camera ought to match the low-light capability of that same camera. It's doubly frustrating when a less expensive Canon outfocuses the more expensive model. This should not be.

What if your subject is in low light, and moves a bit? Center-point focus-recompose doesn't work very well at very wide apertures.

squaresnappr
278 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 21, 2012 09:37 |  #2864

picard wrote in post #13740899 (external link)
how do I get invited to the unveiling event by Canon ?

You should have got an email by Canon Canada, that's how I got mine. If you haven't got yours then it should come soon because I got mine yesterday morning.

My Gear

squaresnappr
278 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 21, 2012 09:40 |  #2865

K6AZ wrote in post #13741005 (external link)
Me? Into pro video? :lol: No, but I do follow the Canon news and this new video line has been in it a lot lately not to mention several emails from B&H.

If they're talking about EF lenses meant for still bodies there have been a bunch of rumors out there but not sure if they would be coming out with something new or just displaying their current lineup.

Yeah, I think they are talking about the current lineup of EF lenses to try on the dslr bodies. There is no mention on new lenses except for the cinelenses.

I doubt they would announce new lenses at this keynote address.

My Gear

sponsored links

537,947 views & 0 likes for this thread
OFFICIAL: Canon 1D X announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.