Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Jan 2012 (Sunday) 05:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Safe to stay in AI servo on a 5D2?

armis
903 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 22, 2012 05:02 |  #1

Is the servo engine on the 5D2 reliable enough not to get confused on shots with no movement, or should I really switch back to one-shot?

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
anthony11
Goldmember
2,148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 22, 2012 05:05 |  #2

Seems to depend on your particular body. I think I get better results on one-shot

5D2, 24-105L, 85mm f/1.8, MP960, HG21, crumbling G6+R72, Brownian toddler

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 22, 2012 05:15 |  #3

Just curious...why AI Servo for a non-moving subject? The convenience of not having to switch over from moving subjects or is there some other advantage?

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

armis
THREAD ­ STARTER
903 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 22, 2012 05:43 |  #4

LowriderS10 wrote in post #13746974 (external link)
Just curious...why AI Servo for a non-moving subject? The convenience of not having to switch over from moving subjects or is there some other advantage?

Pretty much. Sometime your target moves a bit erratically; I was at a wedding recently and you'd be lining up a still shot but then he subject starts walking. I didn't know how to handle that, stayed in one-shot and missed a lot of pictures (wasn't the official photographer so it's only my loss). I thought that servo would be the solution, but if it screws up still shots...

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

John_T
Goldmember
3,098 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Jan 22, 2012 06:45 |  #5

Theoretically AI Focus is specifically for such situations. Page 80 in the manual

Canon : EOS R : 5DIV : 5DS R : 5DIII : 7DII : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : RF-24-105L IS : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS II : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 600EX-RT : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 22, 2012 06:54 |  #6

Ai Focus is crap - although you are right, in theory it should work for that situation. It is just very unresponsive and slow. If you never use focus/recompose, then I guess there is nothing wrong with staying in AI Servo all the time. It would not work for me, but.......

Lady ­ Tori
335 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 22, 2012 06:54 |  #7

John_T wrote in post #13747117 (external link)
Theoretically AI Focus is specifically for such situations. Page 80 in the manual

Just what I was about to suggest..

siginu
131 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 22, 2012 07:11 |  #8

5Dmaniac wrote in post #13747126 (external link)
Ai Focus is crap - although you are right, in theory it should work for that situation. It is just very unresponsive and slow. If you never use focus/recompose, then I guess there is nothing wrong with staying in AI Servo all the time. It would not work for me, but.......

If you back button focus you could let go of the button once focus was achieved and retain the ability to recompose.

I've not had the 5d, but with the two bodies I have had I did some testing of using servo vs one shot, I thought I saw bit of difference favoring the one shot often enough that I do switch to one shot most of the time.

In the situation you describe I would probably use servo because the focus difference between the two modes would not have bothered me too much with a "people event" unlike other subjects where I prefer a really sharp object or a really shallow DOF.

[EOS7D] [EOS5DMKIII] [EF 50mm 1.8 I] [EF 24-70L f4 is] [EF 70-200L f4 is] [EF 50mm 1.4] [1.4 TC]

Eric
Goldmember
1,253 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 22, 2012 07:43 |  #9

I really only ever use one shot. Just gotta learn to be quick, focus and click...
Practice makes perfect

Eric Darlington Photography (external link)
flickr (external link) / [URL="[URL]http://eric​darlington.500px.com/"​]500px / [URL="[URL]http://www.​facebook.com/EricDarli​ngtonPhotography"]Face​book
[URL="[URL]http://phot​ography-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=8612297&postcou​nt=1945"]Tools

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jan 22, 2012 11:16 |  #10

Eric wrote in post #13747235 (external link)
I really only ever use one shot. Just gotta learn to be quick, focus and click...
Practice makes perfect

This. I almost never use AI Servo.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 22, 2012 11:22 |  #11

I am almost always in AI Servo, with back button AF. I get the Servo and One Shot all in one setting.

Shooting performers on stage, One Shot would be impossible unless you're shooting at f16, which is, never.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 22, 2012 12:19 |  #12

I only use One-Shot if the target won't move and the camera is on tripod. If you think about it like this, AI Servo makes more sense. AI Servo has you covered if the target or the camera moves. One-Shot assumes both camera and target will NOT move.

At least that's the way my left-handed brain sees things!

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

anthony11
Goldmember
2,148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 23, 2012 11:54 |  #13

snyderman wrote in post #13748288 (external link)
I only use One-Shot if the target won't move and the camera is on tripod. If you think about it like this, AI Servo makes more sense. AI Servo has you covered if the target or the camera moves. One-Shot assumes both camera and target will NOT move.

If your body and glass perform as they should, this is logical.

5D2, 24-105L, 85mm f/1.8, MP960, HG21, crumbling G6+R72, Brownian toddler

talbot_sunbeam
848 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 23, 2012 12:09 |  #14

There seems to be two schools of thought about this.

Logically, it makes sense just to stay in AI Servo mode for anything other than compeltely static subjects (particularly with BBF), and dab once for a quick one-shot focus, or hold it for continuous focus. And there are quite a few people that do this. Of course you don't get a focus confirm beep, but otherwise things should be cool.

But there are another group of people that think that a quick focus in AI Servo mode is somehow less accurate that one-shot mode, and therefore do not do this.

I don't know if anybody has done some objective testing* on this. I can't see how a single AI Servo focus would be less accurate than a one-shot, and it's more likely imo that people just think it's less accurate because they never get a focus confirmation from the camera, but it would be nice to know - and if it's no less accurate, I would probably switch to AI Servo for the bulk of my shooting, apart from completely static stuff.

The focus confirmation *is* kinda reassuring though...

* I did some quick testing on my 7D, and when pixel peeping I didn't notice any difference in focus accuracy between one shot and AI Servo, but it wasn't exhaustive testing by any stretch...

7D, 450D | 17-55, 10-22, 55-250, 50 1.8, 580EXII | YN568II | YN622 x3 | Magic Lantern | (Still) Jonesing for a 70-200 2.8...
Turns out a gripped 7D + 622 + 580exII + 70-200 2.8 IS MK2 is BLOODY HEAVY! Who knew?!!

joonrhee
Goldmember
3,888 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 23, 2012 12:19 |  #15

I'm exclusively always using AI Servo on both 5D2 and 1DIV. To me, there is absolutely no difference in focus accuracy. I just have the advantage of being able to shoot moving objects as well as static objects.

a7RII • V12 • L21 • S24GM • S85
Full Gear List & Feedback
SmugMug (external link)

sponsored links

6,188 views & 0 likes for this thread
Safe to stay in AI servo on a 5D2?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.