Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 21 Jan 2012 (Saturday) 15:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are you getting sick of Apple Corporation yet?

this thread is locked
Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 21, 2012 19:51 |  #16

Nope. They can keep parting fools and their money all they want. I won't give them a dime.

Gear List

sponsored links
MikeFairbanks
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 21, 2012 19:56 |  #17

I'm on the fence for a while.

Something needs to give before I continue spending my money on Apple products.

Until today I was a happy customer, but this Itextbooks fiasco was the last straw, and if they don't fix it quickly I'm out.

I was on the verge of getting a new Ipad2 and Apple TV, but now how am I supposed to trust them if they are going to just keep screwing their customers?

Whatever. I'm done with this issue for a while, but my purchase plans are on hold.

Anyone know if other tablets can mirror to a TV wirelessly? I really want to teach using a tablet, but Apple isn't getting my money......yet.

Thank you. bw!

tristinGrind
531 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 21, 2012 20:10 |  #18

Im not sure why this would be the last straw to get you so upset over one aspect of their marketing plan (iTextbooks), you dont use it. If you were upset about a single thing about a single company like that then you wouldnt buy products from anyone. No business is perfect and they are out to make money.

Now, there are jailreaking and near jailbreaking methods to enabling mirroring on the iPad 1. They just jailbroke iOS5 for A4 chips (3GS/4/iPad1) so I would look into that.

-- Tristin
FB: +12/-0

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 21, 2012 20:31 |  #19

Your voice will go a lot farther by buying a different product. They aren't going out of business over itextbooks, even if it bombs. If you need a pickup, don't buy a car. There are lots of products out there and if you buy the wrong one, maybe for the wrong reasons, it's not the fault of the manufacturer. The manufacturer made the product because they found there was demand for it.....

A9 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 21, 2012 20:46 |  #20

With public schools it is ultimately the taxpayer who foots the bill. So, the school or district will land a grant ("free money" in the eyes of most employees) to purchase the outlandishly priced iPads where a competing and more reasonably priced tablet or netbook would do just as good a job and one would not be locked into iPads or iTextbooks. I came to a public school system from the corporate side, and have been aghast at the attitude in regard to grants.

Jim

MikeFairbanks
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 21, 2012 20:53 |  #21

Not all grants are bad. I have an old friend in Dallas who goes by that name. He's in a blues band.

Thank you. bw!

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,163 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 21, 2012 21:25 |  #22

"Are you getting sick of Apple incorporated yet?"

No. No I'm not. I like their products, even though I have to use roundabout means to put my photos on them. (I email photos to my iPhone 4, even though I wish I could just pop an sd card in.)

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 22, 2012 05:31 |  #23

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #13745304 (external link)
I'm on the fence for a while.

Something needs to give before I continue spending my money on Apple products.

Until today I was a happy customer, but this Itextbooks fiasco was the last straw, and if they don't fix it quickly I'm out.

I was on the verge of getting a new Ipad2 and Apple TV, but now how am I supposed to trust them if they are going to just keep screwing their customers?

Whatever. I'm done with this issue for a while, but my purchase plans are on hold.

Anyone know if other tablets can mirror to a TV wirelessly? I really want to teach using a tablet, but Apple isn't getting my money......yet.

BlackBerry Playbook can mirror what is on its screen - BUT it will be via HDMI.
BlackBerry Phones can present wirelessly - but that might be limited to PowerPoint.

(Yes, I love BlackBerrys :D)

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

DBNissan
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 22, 2012 05:45 |  #24

A lot of the Android tablets also have HDMI ports. You can use a cable to connect or use a wireless HDMI streaming device

~Dan
Instagram (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 22, 2012 07:27 |  #25

I only use their Ipods because it is the defacto standard for portable music these days. I will not buy any other Apple products for exactly the reasons the OP stated. Oh, and the value of the company is way over priced. They will come down very hard - remember it happened before!

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 22, 2012 07:34 |  #26

5Dmaniac wrote in post #13747204 (external link)
I only use their Ipods because it is the defacto standard for portable music these days. I will not buy any other Apple products for exactly the reasons the OP stated. Oh, and the value of the company is way over priced. They will come down very hard - remember it happened before!

Standard for music? What? There are plenty of other products available - with better support than apple. (With respect to formats & usability - not necessarily with respect to applications, but then it is a music/video player)

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 22, 2012 07:43 |  #27

Apple has the young cool factor that is difficult to overcome. My 14 year old insisted on looking at the Apple Store to look at MacBook Pros for his new computer. At $2300 for the model he wanted, the answer was NO. We went to the Costco site and found a good HP for him with more than he could get with the MBP for around $900. After receiving the HP last week, the kid is skipping. It's ridiculous that they can charge $2300 for a laptop. Same for other devices, but I have to say, my iPhone 4S and iPad 2 are fun. Just think the no ability to change batteries or add memory, etc. are limiting.

Yes, look at Kodak. I used to live near the plant in NY and 30 years ago, Kodak was king. Not keeping up with the Jones' when they had every opportunity to is why they are in bankruptcy, and why consumers now don't equate their logo with a quality, modern device.

As for Apple, they are getting lots of competition now.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 22, 2012 08:24 |  #28

x_tan wrote in post #13743979 (external link)
Apple was dying before they brought back Steve; and Steve now is gone.
Can you see the obvious?

I noticed bugs and glitches on the uptick last January. Got a bit worse last summer. By last December, my Apple devices were updating almost as much as my Windoze devices.

When he died, I realized that there was probably a connection between increasing problems and his health. I think part of his impact was that everyone knew he would be the key test user, and he probably called anyone at any time day or night.

About iBooks.

First, I looked at it, because I have a manuscript under development.

It is a layout program. A very nice one. And if they can handle distribution and delivery, pressing a button to publish is huge. It is much faster, cheaper, and better than full self-publishing. It is also a common file format with a tweak.

Second, I think when you publish they get a cut of sales but that is non exclusive and has no rights grab that I know of. But, I will read the agreement if I ever go push the publish button.

Finally, Apple nailed the business model. They deliver content in a consistent manner across all of their devices. They own that road, so they toll it. No issues there if it works.

If you're going to be mad at parties wih closed models, try Hollywood, or try to talk to an acquisition editor at Wiley.

I hope iBooks completely upends big houses, but, more likely, big houses will buy books, or have one writen by one of the authors they know, based upon iBooks.

As for the iPad display, there is an adapter to VGA and it works.

On your iTunes did you call Apple and ask for a merge? Apple still has actual English speaking humans who help. Hopefully that will not change.

Sadly, for Apple, I think they could very easily fall to a bean counting mentality along with a series of lamprey style middle management which can make them forget why they exist. Like Microzoft, and many others before, or like the rotten Apple Steve saved.

By the by, I own an iMac, Mini, AppleTV I and II, iPad, three iPhones, and I make my living using Windows.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

PIX-R-IT
387 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 22, 2012 09:01 |  #29

Im annoyed they removed the bounce feature from Lion's mail.
My other gripe is they wont tell you which Intel processor (model number) they use in their products.The good news is you can find out from other sources on-line but I still found that a bit strange since they don't make the CPU.
Like Suzyview said the cool factor is hard to overcome though like drag n drop for example.

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Jan 22, 2012 09:06 |  #30

All companies that sell proprietary products are the same.

Tired of it? Go Linux. :)

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

sponsored links

10,726 views & 0 likes for this thread
Are you getting sick of Apple Corporation yet?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.