Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 20 Jan 2005 (Thursday) 16:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: Are you insured?

DwightMcCann
so, what are we talking about?
21,399 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 07, 2011 17:57 |  #271

bobbyz wrote in post #13066359 (external link)
Thanks Allen.

One more question so I don't have to start a new thread. How much you guys pay for putting some one else on your policy. Say you shooting on some beach/state park and you need to put the city on your liability policy.

My insurance company will provide me with a policy rider of some sort if I need to cover myself for liability with another company ... you should just ask about how to do it.

Dwight McCann
Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)
Gear List - Concert FAQ - My Small Studio

sponsored links
ShaneCphoto
84 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 09, 2011 18:53 |  #272

Hey I'm leaving for South East Asia next monday and was wondering what would be the best company to go with for photo insurance that covers damages, theft, etc.? It would only have to be up to $10,000 or so and it's not a business, yet. After the trip though!

50D+20D Helios 44M-2 (58/2.0) /Sigma 30 1.4 /Pentax SMC takumar 50 1.4 /Nifty Fifty/ tokina 10-17 f3.5-4.6/ 70-200 f/4 L IS

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,915 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 09, 2011 21:13 |  #273

Talk to State Farm Agent.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Swins
76 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 19, 2011 20:25 |  #274

I do and most of the places I shoot and companies I shoot for will not allow me to shoot without it.

BaghdadFred
871 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 05, 2011 06:15 |  #275

I'm fully covered by USAA. It's a really good outfit for veterans and their families. My only concern that their is a clause that my equipment is not covered for "Terrorists acts and Acts of War".

I Work in a War Zone, so if my stuff gets blown up by a Mortar or IED...I guess I am sh*t outa luck :)

It will cover me if i drop something or have something stolen which really could happen. I've had several close calls.

Fred - Photographing everyday Military life in Iraq (external link) | SmugMug (external link)
7D | C 100-400L | Σ 70-200 2.8 OS | Σ 30 1.4 | C 10-22 | Σ 8-16 | C 17-55 2.8 IS | C 28-135 IS | 580EX II | Σ 1.4x

cabinajm
812 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 19, 2011 10:17 |  #276

Funny, I just got off the phone reevaluating my home owners policy with Travelers and they told me the underwriter won't cover my photo equipment since it's used for business and it wouldn't cover off-site uses. I'm looking at PPA and they're coverage. It looks pretty reasonable. I got a quote from Hicox a week or two ago and they quoted me something like $800/year for just liability and loss, I believe. PPA was like $500 for liability, loss and indemnification trust. I kinda like that better. Anyone else's thoughts on PPA? Thanks!

-Chris
A couple Canons, a flash, a bunch of lenses and LIGHTS!
Silverstar Media : Photography - Web Design - Technology Support (external link)

cabinajm
812 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 21, 2011 12:55 |  #277

Update: I ended up going with Hill and Usher. A little more than $500 a year and it covers everything!! And it's an individual policy, not a blanket policy like PPA... Check them out if you get a chance...http://hillusher.com/ (external link)

-Chris
Silverstar Media : Photography - Web Design - Technology Support (external link)

jsvphoto
790 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 21, 2011 22:52 |  #278

I use Hill & Usher as well. Thankfully haven't had to submit a claim, but the coverage seems good on paper...

Canon 7D Gripped; Canon 7D ii Gripped; Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L; Canon TS-E 24 f/3.5 L; Sigma 85 f/1.4; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; various lights & gizmos

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,915 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 21, 2011 23:13 |  #279

Hill and Usher here also.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

cabinajm
812 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 21, 2012 10:55 |  #280

I chose hill and usher after some research and a recommendation from a friend and welll known commercial photographer

-Chris

markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 22, 2012 13:24 |  #281

I am insured with specific coverage on my equipment off site and large liability limits. I also carry large limits on auto. I have a number of clients that require such coverage in addition to security background checks.
The cost becomes irrelevant to the benefit it has had for me in getting clients that seek a "real" professional. These are the clients who pay real money for their photography. For many, it is the first measure of qualification. No commercial coverage and you are off the list irrespective of your ability. Once you pass that requirement you are then evaluated on your portfolio and other attributes.
"Clients" who don't ask about these unglamorous aspects of your business are also the same ones who are astonished that you will not produce "just a few photos of our (name item/person) for our marketing program" for $200.

trcapro
168 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 31, 2012 20:21 |  #282

I am not insured per se but I make sure to have clients sign off on pertinent legal documents releasing me from liability. While the documents vary depending upon the specific services provided, I make sure to cover my butt all the same.

I am one of many photographers in Pittsburgh PA (external link) who loves to explore my craft and learn from others while doing so. my biggest passion is shooting goth pics (external link) and material of a darker nature.

cabinajm
812 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 01, 2012 07:32 |  #283

trcapro wrote in post #13803544 (external link)
I am not insured per se but I make sure to have clients sign off on pertinent legal documents releasing me from liability. While the documents vary depending upon the specific services provided, I make sure to cover my butt all the same.

It's a good idea to be insured, even if it's just to cover your equipment. But, what if you are on site shooting something and due to the work you're doing, a third party is injured that is not associated with your client, due to your equipment or something else? You would probably be liable. Not only does the insurance cover injury, but also protects you by way of indemnification should something occur and you can't provide a stated product to your client. Just food for thought.

-Chris

Random ­ photographer
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 23, 2012 17:02 as a reply to  @ cabinajm's post |  #284

Are there any Canadian photographers here (specifically Toronto, or nearby)? I'm currently getting quotes to insure myself for wedding photography, and they seem very high compared to what i've read for other locations.

I'm basically looking for 1 million liability and $15 000 coverage of equipment, and i'm being quoted $1100 a year. I know car insurance is very high in this city, but does anyone else have any experience with business insurance?

London ­ Headshots
63 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 27, 2012 13:59 |  #285

Fully insured here

London Headshots (external link)
Like my Facebook Page (external link)
Headshot Photographer (external link)

sponsored links

149,266 views & 2 likes for this thread
Are you insured?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.