Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 21 Jan 2012 (Saturday) 19:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can businesses w/same name exist in separate states?

esphoto
49 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 21, 2012 19:50 |  #1

TIA for those who can contribute helpful input on this matter. Currently I am in school for photography (my last class this spring) and over a year ago I purchased a domain name, which is basically my last name + Photography. Before I purchased, I google searched the name and I didn't get conflicting results. I've been watermarking photos as this since I feel like using my first + last name + Photography as a future business name feels just a little too long winded and a little more amateur sounding. In the past month I have felt that it is time to start developing a web presence and portfolio to get my name out there. I went to research online again for the heck of it, and now apparently a business with the same name (but different state) shows up and they've had an ongoing web presence and business. The only time they use the full business name that matches mine is on their contact page, which is why I suspect when I had went to register my domain way back when I wasn't coming up with any solid search results.
I guess what I'm trying to get at is, is it still acceptable to keep with my original plan of my last name + Photography, being that we are in separate states and will not have competing clients, or is this illegal in any way? As of right now I intend to be a sole proprietor when I begin my business. I appreciate any input on the matter.

sponsored links
Eric
Goldmember
1,253 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 21, 2012 21:57 |  #2

I know there are multiple business all over the place that have the same name. If they have registered their business name with the US copyright office they may have a case against you. Although there may be some loophole if its your own name...

Worth looking into. If you have the domain name your one step ahead of the game. I know I wanted to use my middle name + photography for my studio name, but that was already taken so I just went with first and last. Oh well...

Eric Darlington Photography (external link)
flickr (external link) / [URL="[URL]http://eric​darlington.500px.com/"​]500px / [URL="[URL]http://www.​facebook.com/EricDarli​ngtonPhotography"]Face​book
[URL="[URL]http://phot​ography-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=8612297&postcou​nt=1945"]Tools

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,706 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 22, 2012 09:12 |  #3

Since they beat you to the marketplace you might want to change your business name. It might not create confusion in the marketplace since they are in a different state but I like that you are thinking big with your future plans.

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 22, 2012 10:28 |  #4

Ever been to Sam's Pizza?
There's gotta be one in every town.

In order to get a checking account in my business name, I had to go through a registration process at the County Clerk's Office. The laws and procedures in your location are probably different.

You should retain the services of a local accountant to help you with tax issues. He/she can probably help with this question too.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 22, 2012 17:53 as a reply to  @ Curtis N's post |  #5

As a sole proprietorship, and registering at the county clerks office in your county, a business could actually have the same name in the next county. Someone copied one of my other business names just 3 hours from me.

When deciding on a name, I usually research .com domain names first as .com is the most recognized for internet addresses.

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 22, 2012 18:15 as a reply to  @ TroyRaymond's post |  #6

Do whatever you want and let them come to you if it is an issue.

Or, go full bore and open a business.

To start your business, try legalzoom.com. If you have no partners and will not raise investment money, be an LLC. They will take care of your state name filing.

If you want to protect your name, then have a logo created and then register your name with that logo.

Get a business phone line, with FAX. Try phone.com for that.

After you have the logo done, get letterhead printed using it. Show your address and phone numbers.

If you do not want to use your home address, visit your local UPS store and get a box.

To get a logo, try 99designs.com.

To get a registered copyright, try legalzoom.com. Do that only after you have your logo done, your site up, and stationary because you will have to demonstrate that you are operating.

You may skip the registration of your name and logo. But the other things, do them to have an operating business entity.

Use quickbooks or another accounting software.

Only visit the accountant to first understand your obligations to remit quarterly taxes, and to file your annual business and personal returns.

If you are going to have a partner, visit an attorney before you do anything else.

Good luck.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

johendley
Goldmember
1,588 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 22, 2012 18:21 |  #7

Curtis N wrote in post #13747803 (external link)
Ever been to Sam's Pizza?
There's gotta be one in every town.

Never heard of Sam's pizza

Black Boxes. Glass. Illumination. Ideas.

My Flickr http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johendley/ (external link)
My site http://www.johendleyph​otography.com (external link)
My Blog http://www.tumblr.com/​blog/johendley (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,986 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jan 22, 2012 22:31 |  #8

A. A business name cannot be copyrighted. A business logo might be copyrighted, but the not the business name.

B. Yes, multiple businesses can have the same name. There may be hundreds of "AAA Plumbing" companies across the company...companies sought "SEO" even in the Yellow Pages.

C. You might be worried about a business name being trademarked, but a personal name is normally too generic to be trademarked. Even a company does try to trademark a generic name, it might be worthwhile to ignore it as long as the two companies are in significantly disparate areas of commerce. For instance, Disney has actually trademarked "Braves" and "Seal Team 6," as well as practically every other title they might want to use in a movie someday. But if I were writing a book about the Atlanta Braves or the real SEAL Team 6, I would not let that bother me.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 23, 2012 12:06 |  #9

Unfortunately, here in AZ, even registering a company name with the state does not guarantee exclusivity...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,986 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jan 23, 2012 12:52 |  #10

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #13753709 (external link)
Unfortunately, here in AZ, even registering a company name with the state does not guarantee exclusivity...

They usually get somewhat tighter with incorporated entities, but not with ordinary DBAs.

j-dogg
Goldmember
1,292 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 23, 2012 13:04 |  #11

S.Horton wrote in post #13749937 (external link)
Do whatever you want and let them come to you if it is an issue.

Or, go full bore and open a business.

To start your business, try legalzoom.com. If you have no partners and will not raise investment money, be an LLC. They will take care of your state name filing.

If you want to protect your name, then have a logo created and then register your name with that logo.

Get a business phone line, with FAX. Try phone.com for that.

After you have the logo done, get letterhead printed using it. Show your address and phone numbers.

If you do not want to use your home address, visit your local UPS store and get a box.

To get a logo, try 99designs.com.

To get a registered copyright, try legalzoom.com. Do that only after you have your logo done, your site up, and stationary because you will have to demonstrate that you are operating.

You may skip the registration of your name and logo. But the other things, do them to have an operating business entity.

Use quickbooks or another accounting software.

Only visit the accountant to first understand your obligations to remit quarterly taxes, and to file your annual business and personal returns.

If you are going to have a partner, visit an attorney before you do anything else.

Good luck.

Post of the year 2012. Someone sticky this ****

5D / 400d / 70-200-4LIS / 50 Mk.I / 28-70
RB67 Pro-S / 50-90-180 Holy Trinity, 120/polaroid back
Graphic View I 4x5 / Schneider 180 / Meyer 135 / Ektar 127

esphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
49 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 23, 2012 16:16 |  #12

Thanks so much for the replies so far, it has been insightful and a relief to hear from other professionals that it wouldn't necessarily be a wrong-doing to have same business names. While sleeping on it, I'm still on the fence on the route I should go. One part of me wants to keep it the way I've had it, but another part of me wants to avoid any potential complication regarding potential clients being misdirected if they were just simply searching by name. I also figure that my last name is common enough that even if I'm the second out there at this point, there will be bound to be additional photographers to do the same after me down the road (heck, there's someone with the same last name as me in the school program I'm in now).
Going to see what I can come up with logos now involving my full name and see how I feel about it/sleep on it some more - but in the meantime if anyone else has anything else to contribute I'd love to hear it. Thanks again

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 24, 2012 01:35 |  #13

Yup... it's fine. I use my name for my business. In the SAME COUNTY that I lived in there was a photographer who had the exact same name as I, except he spelled his first name wrong. Otherwise, it was the same. No one ever mistook me for him and I doubt anyone thought he was me. Was co-existed just fine. In fact, I gather he never even knew I existed (he's been in business for YEARS and is pretty well known). I've since moved away but I'm still in the same state. And still, no issue.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

sponsored links

7,156 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can businesses w/same name exist in separate states?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.