Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Jan 2012 (Sunday) 20:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

60d Firmware equals nowhere?

HastyPhoto
953 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 22, 2012 20:28 |  #1

I've downloaded the firmware (PDF) instructions are nothing but some code?) but whatever, I downloaded the firmware file onto every folder on my memory (DCIM, MISC ETC) card and my camera does not see it. Anyone?

60D | EFS 17-55 2.8 IS | Rode VideoMic Pro | Manfrotto 190XPROB

www.HastyPhoto.com (external link)
www.etsy.com/shop/Hast​yPhoto (external link)
www.facebook.com/HastyPhoto (external link)

sponsored links
gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,607 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 22, 2012 20:30 |  #2

It goes into the root directory

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

HastyPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
953 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 22, 2012 20:36 |  #3

ok and what does that say or look like on the sd card via my computer?

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 22, 2012 21:29 |  #4

It means the very top of the card's file hierarchy, as seen when using a card reader (not plugging the camera into the computer with a USB cable). This would be at the same level as the DCIM etc folders. The firmware file (*.fir) goes there, not inside one of the existing folders.

HastyPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
953 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 22, 2012 21:36 |  #5

Guess I'm stupid because I do not see it. All I see (memory card plugged into pc) is - computer - removable disk F - Folder DCIM and MISC. Where do I paste the file too?

DwainRowe
783 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 22, 2012 21:39 |  #6

HastyPhoto wrote in post #13750943 (external link)
Guess I'm stupid because I do not see it. All I see (memory card plugged into pc) is - computer - removable disk F - Folder DCIM and MISC. Where do I paste the file too?

You paste right there... on the removable disk F, outside those two folders.

That is, if you see those two folders, drag and drop the file to any white space that is NOT those folders.

Dwain

6D | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-200 f/4 L IS | EF 50mm f1.4 USM -|- Rebel T2i | EF-S 17-55 IS | Σ 10-20 f3.5 EX DC | Σ 70-300 4-5.6 DG Macro (Yes, I am cheap) | Speedlite 580EXII | YN622c
EOS M | EFM 22 f/2

HastyPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
953 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 22, 2012 21:56 |  #7

Dwain, I did that. Camera still not seeing it when I put card in and try firmware update.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,607 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 22, 2012 22:18 |  #8

HastyPhoto wrote in post #13751094 (external link)
Dwain, I did that. Camera still not seeing it when I put card in and try firmware update.

did you unpack the file? It comes compressed. You have to execute it to let it unpack itself.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Carver708
58 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 22, 2012 22:21 |  #9

Did you extract the zip file after you downloaded it?

You beat me to it

Canon 60D gripped | EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM [COLOR="Blue"]| EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM | Sigma 50 f/1.4 | Tokina 12-24 f/4 | Canon 2X II TC [COLOR="Blue"]| Tamron SP AF 1.4X TC | 430 EX II | Kenko tubes

HastyPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
953 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 22, 2012 22:40 |  #10

Yes guys I did that (: My camera does not see it on my sd card period. I'm lost on this one!

AJSJones
Goldmember
2,647 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2001

Jan 23, 2012 00:47 |  #11

What do you see on the SD card when it's in the computer?

My picture galleries (external link)

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,071 posts
Gallery: 441 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 23, 2012 01:24 |  #12

try to format your SD card and copy again.

extract the file and just drag&drop in the SD card icon.

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

Delija
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 23, 2012 01:34 as a reply to  @ vinmunoz's post |  #13

If you can't get it to work, call Canon tech support and they will walk you through the process - free call, never a wait to speak to a rep. Great resource that's under-used by Canon camera owners. (if you are not a CPS member, you'll have to wait until the morning) - telephone number is on the canonusa.com web-site.

Wow, what a nice picture! You must have a really great camera!

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,736 posts
Joined May 2003

Jan 23, 2012 06:41 |  #14

This is a very simple procedure and you should not be having any issues if you follow the steps on line. Having said that, some people have reported that the camera cannot boot off of the eye-fi card to properly install new firmware. Eye-fi cards are a wireless type of SDHC that enable direct wireless communication to a PC without using the cable. If that is what you are using, attempt the firmware update with a "plain" SDHC card. I think it needs to be 2 GB minimum.

There is another issue that I've seen reported on very rare occasions. If you get a failure message when updating Canon DSLR firmware (remove the battery and inserting a card with firmware) it is possible the card is formatted as ExFAT. To record video over 4GB segments you need to use ExFAT and not FAT32, however the firmware upgrade process will not read an ExFAT partitions. The fix is to reformat the card (remove pictures first!) or an old 2GB card put the firmware file on the card. As others have pointed out, make sure the file is on the root directory of the SD card. If you run the utility to extract it you will likely find it in a subdirectory with the install instructions. You have to copy or move the file to the top of the listing.

pillainp
203 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 23, 2012 11:10 |  #15

This assumes you are running Windows 7. The procedure is similar in all versions of Windows. I am unfamiliar with the Mac OS.

I think you may have your system set to hide known file extensions. In Windows 7, open Windows Explorer and in the Organise menu, select Folder and Search Options. Here on the View tab, uncheck "Hide Extensions for known file types". In Windows XP/Vista, this would be View > Folder and Search Options or Tools > Folder and Search Options

Format your card in the camera, remove it from the camera and then plug it into your card reader on your PC. Do not use the camera's USB cord to connect the camera to the PC.

Now install a file compression application such as WinRAR (trial) (external link) or 7Zip (free) (external link) if you do not already have one installed.

Navigate to the downloaded firmware (which should be in a ZIP file for Windows), right click it and select WinRAR > Extract files... OR 7Zip > Extract Files...

WinRAR:
This will bring up a dialog box. In the folder tree on the right, click on the icon for the memory card. [Make sure you select the card itself and not any of the folders on it.]

Now click OK on the dialog box.

7Zip:
This will bring up a dialog box. In the box containing the path name, manually enter the drive letter for your memory card; or click the browse (dotted) button next to it and select your memory card in the folder list box that pops up.

Wait for the extraction process to complete.

Now when you open your memory card in Windows Explorer, you will see the following:
a) A folder called DCIM
b) A folder called MISC
c) A folder called update-procedure-pdf: This folder contains the update instructions in PDF format
d) A file called xxxxx.fir (where the "xxxxx" will be a sequence of letters and numbers representing camera model and firmware version e.g. 60D00110.FIR, which is Firmware 1.1.0 for the EOS 60D). This is the firmware file the camera will use to update iself.

This is the "root" directory of the memory card.

Verify the presence of the .FIR file in the root of the memory card

Eject the memory card from Windows, insert it in your camera and run the firmware update process.

Remember, ensure that you have a full battery when you run a firmware update.

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,642 views & 0 likes for this thread
60d Firmware equals nowhere?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.