Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 22 Jan 2012 (Sunday) 09:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are Amateurs destroying Photography

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 22, 2012 23:56 |  #61

Tim S wrote in post #13751348 (external link)
This is why I think requiring a license to use a camera, would just be a terrible mistake.

Of course, it's just ridiculous.

What next? A licence to go to the toilet?

Licences are to regulate activities with a higher level of hazard to oneself and others around you. For example, driving licence, or forklift licence, or financial services licence (large risk of financial damage) or Gun licence.

A licence for photography? hahaahahhahahaha :lol::lol:

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

sponsored links
imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 23, 2012 00:09 |  #62

smorter wrote in post #13751617 (external link)
Of course, it's just ridiculous.

What next? A licence to go to the toilet?

Licences are to regulate activities with a higher level of hazard to oneself and others around you. For example, driving licence, or forklift licence, or financial services licence (large risk of financial damage) or Gun licence.

A licence for photography? hahaahahhahahaha :lol::lol:

what if you hurt my feelings? you better have a license ;)

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

j-dogg
Goldmember
1,292 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 23, 2012 00:13 as a reply to  @ imjason's post |  #63

i've got a license to troll, and trolling is what I will do in this thread.

IMAGE: http://www.guvmentcheese.com/jd0gg/OF/sp/sp1.jpg

5D / 400d / 70-200-4LIS / 50 Mk.I / 28-70
RB67 Pro-S / 50-90-180 Holy Trinity, 120/polaroid back
Graphic View I 4x5 / Schneider 180 / Meyer 135 / Ektar 127

tricky500
424 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 23, 2012 00:14 |  #64

/end thread.

- Paul

stanclark
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 23, 2012 00:39 |  #65

It doesn't matter if your a professional or amateur if you shoot good shots and the client is happy end of story. The way I see it competition is a good thing....I know a beginning Photographer with top of the line equipment....if he takes a paid gig the client would think he is a professional,but he will make rookie mistakes...we have a studio in town with a 30 year veteran turning out cookie cutter crap shots just to get paid... so my point is as long as your client is happy doesn't matter what level your at. You should be concentrating on bettering yourself and your craft before **** about the photographer down the street. I'll step of my soap box now.

So if God made Man & Woman....whats his excuse for Nikon...

mrwalker
274 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 23, 2012 01:23 |  #66

This is as dumb as asking if talented home cooks are going to replace chefs...

Yes some of them will go to MasterChef and become chefs or start their own little restuarant or home order service. And some of them might go over to the dark side and become Gordon Ramsey ;-)a

But many others will be just as happy to remain home cooks who learn how to cook great stuff for their friends, guests and family.

Amateur, but not Destroying Photography...
Current: T2i/ 550D || EF 85mm 1.8 USM || 430EX II || Powershot SD880 IS || Manfrotto 190 from the last century || Ubuntu 10.04.4, RawTherapee and GIMP
Old: Nikon FM10 (Manual Film SLR) || Nikon E 50mm f1.8 AI || Nikkor 135mm f2.8 AI

tanqui
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 23, 2012 08:41 |  #67

That's why we have to look at ourself to find the weakness when business is going down or bad and try to improve from that..
If you're good ,honest.... people will come to you.
Dont try to ripp off your clients .
Sometimes amateurs work better than pros,I know this because i work in construction .

YankeeMom
Goldmember
3,115 posts
Gallery: 305 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 23, 2012 08:51 |  #68

JeffreyG wrote in post #13750578 (external link)
He's right, but this will never happen. Photographers are too disorganized.

For starters, don't take this as some sort of regulation and 'big government' discussion. Lawyers, doctors, hairdressers and teachers all are regulated and have significant barriers to entry because that is exactly how they want it.

To be a lawyer (one example), you must graduate from law school and you must pass the bar exam. This is how lawyers restrict entry to their profession and this is how they prop up their fees. Without such restriction, legal help would be of much more varied quality, and also of much lower cost.

I just don't see photographers ever being so organized. I still think it is a wonder that hairdressers are.

You are right that more regulations = HIGHER COSTS to the consumer. That is why people are constantly fighting to reduce and eliminate them. Here in NH, for example, there is a bill being discussed (and will likely pass) to eliminate the licence requirement for hairdressers/barbers. The theory behind most of these kind of requirements is for the safety of the consumer -- in photography, no such safety issue exists. You can't expect the government to protect you from bad service just because you were too lazy to do your homework (not to mention that, even with regulations, there would STILL be plenty of bad photographers.)

Photography will not die, but the need to pay pros is going to be greatly diminished as good technology in cameras and lenses become available to the masses, the technology improves and makes it easier to get "great shots", and education becomes more readily available (no more "photography" degrees or classes in college required.) I am a good example of the next wave. Self-taught with basic equipment. :)

Kristin
Mom to 11 ~ Still sane and rocking my Canon 5DMkII.
Calibrated with Spyder 4
Website (external link)
| Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Pinterest (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Maxxum5
345 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 23, 2012 08:58 |  #69

As a non-professional that takes photography serious, I will throw this out there.....

As a non-professional, there are people who expect things for rock bottom prices if there is no business card and website associated with your name. Considering most of my photos of women with cars were appreciated as the best in the area (although they are not the absolute best in the business), I was sent a private message from someone who asked if I would be willing to take on a job photographing his car and make a car show poster board since I am also good with photoshop. Keep in mind, he wanted me to drive 200 miles to where he lived from where my house is, but my house is 200 miles away from where I am. Thus, the drive would be 400 miles one way!! (But considering i was going to my house that weekend, I figured I would squeeze in some money-maker) Then he adds in last minute that he would like a CD of all the photos. So I rustle up some numbers and came out with this.

Mileage to and from my house, 400 miles (Round Trip), 1 hour of photos of his car (Approx 250 Photos), CD of all photos with 10 of his choice edited for car show poster board, 4 hours of making a car show board (No file, just the design).

I was asking $450.00 (I know, most likely too low) and yet he thought it was too much!!!

Some people just want things for free. As a "no-name," I was just trying to get my feet wet by under estimating the value of my work and doing this job just to get started.

Lesoon learned.

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,198 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 23, 2012 09:05 |  #70

IMAGE: http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-Wm5hc43/0/XL/i-Wm5hc43-XL.gif

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

dtufino
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 23, 2012 09:11 as a reply to  @ Chet's post |  #71

Harlan Ellison says it best in this Video:

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE (external link)

-David T.
www.dtufinophoto.com (external link)

@dtufino_photo (external link)
flickr (external link)

Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 23, 2012 09:18 |  #72

I constantly have to put up with hearing my prices are too high, and so and so offers photos for less.

The guy who does my photo printing also shoots weddings, and he gets all kinds of brides that come in after the fact with a CD full of images, begging him to fix them because they went with a lower priced photographer. More often then not they are beyond fixing.

So yeah, the GWC is destroying things if they are a turn and burn kinda shooter.

Your camera is alot smarter than the "M" Zealots would have you believe

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 23, 2012 09:21 |  #73
bannedPermanent ban

Tylers Mom wrote in post #13747648 (external link)
=Tyler's Mom;13747648]Everyone has to start somewhere....

Its definitely a changing industry, just like any other industry out there we've got to learn to adapt. I was getting alot more sessions until recently, sure it could be because all these new people or maybe it's the economy. Either way just have to learn to adapt. I don't think people are ruining anything, besides most people who aren't into photography for the art aspect eventually just fade off.

I agree, the more experience these amateurs gain from their so called "professionalism" the better, but I don't like to see them hurt pros at the expense of people who don't know how to shoot. Last year, I was a bit dumb founded to find someone in the pit area of a concert who was asking me how to shoot a gig (he was working with the band would you believe it)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 23, 2012 15:11 |  #74

I don't believe they are, more photos are being taken - I don't see how this can be bad.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 23, 2012 15:13 |  #75

YankeeMom wrote in post #13752823 (external link)
You are right that more regulations = HIGHER COSTS to the consumer. That is why people are constantly fighting to reduce and eliminate them. Here in NH, for example, there is a bill being discussed (and will likely pass) to eliminate the licence requirement for hairdressers/barbers. The theory behind most of these kind of requirements is for the safety of the consumer -- in photography, no such safety issue exists. You can't expect the government to protect you from bad service just because you were too lazy to do your homework (not to mention that, even with regulations, there would STILL be plenty of bad photographers.)

Photography will not die, but the need to pay pros is going to be greatly diminished as good technology in cameras and lenses become available to the masses, the technology improves and makes it easier to get "great shots", and education becomes more readily available (no more "photography" degrees or classes in college required.) I am a good example of the next wave. Self-taught with basic equipment. :)

Don't really know if the regulations go back far enough, but there was a time when the town barber was damn near your town doctor as well. There really was a public health issue related to barbering... Ever wonder what an infected shaving wound near your carotid artery would do to your blood?

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links

130,055 views & 0 likes for this thread
Are Amateurs destroying Photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.