Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 Jan 2012 (Monday) 03:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Zeiss 25mm F/2.

Ross_Curtis
184 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 23, 2012 03:26 |  #1

Since buying the Zeiss 50MP, I've craved more Zeiss glass.*
I've owned the 24LII for a couple of years now and really enjoy using it, especially wide open.
The Zeiss 21mm is a lens which I really do want to own, however the speed is the ONLY thing stopping me.
In an ideal world I'd buy both, but this isn't possible.
This got me thinking, the new Zeiss 25mm seems (in principle) a great halfway house between the speed of the 24L and the optical quality of the 21mm.
I know it's early days, but are there any early reviews, samples or indeed comparison tests out there?
Thanks

6D | 24L II | 50MP | 85L II | 200L II | 16-35L F4 IS | Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 | Markings Q10 |

sponsored links
x.pozhr
Goldmember
4,789 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 23, 2012 09:22 |  #2

http://www.flickr.com …352899159/in/ph​otostream/ (external link)

flickr (external link)
Gear List + Marketplace Feedback

x.pozhr
Goldmember
4,789 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 23, 2012 09:24 as a reply to  @ x.pozhr's post |  #3

And this:

http://www.zeissimages​.com/showreplies.php?q​id=850 (external link)

flickr (external link)
Gear List + Marketplace Feedback

noisejammer
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 23, 2012 11:29 |  #4

Here's one shortie (external link)- the subscription pages on Lloyd's Zeiss Guide have a lot of detail.

Several cameras and more glass than I will admit to.
Flickr (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 23, 2012 12:03 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

I think your 24L and Zeiss 25 is too close in focal length. Speed? What is the difference between f2.8 and f2??? Have you thought about the 35 f1.4 ze??? Frankly, if you have a 24L, you really don't need either 21 ze or 25 ze, unless you still want some AF. Also, if you can calibrate the AF confirmation with Live View and to adjust it using microadjustment, you can get very accurate with the AF confirmation light.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,223 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 23, 2012 12:06 |  #6

Except that the Zeiss is said to be sharper than the 24L.

Mark.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 23, 2012 12:11 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

Madweasel wrote in post #13753712 (external link)
Except that the Zeiss is said to be sharper than the 24L.

Yeah, of course, with the Carl Zeiss look. Do you shoot wide open with your wide angle lens very often? Well, I don't. usually at F8.

Facebook (external link)

Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,223 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 23, 2012 12:13 |  #8

Me too, but then why would you buy a lens at f/1.4? For me the 24-105 is more versatile, but that's wandering off topic.

Mark.

Ross_Curtis
THREAD ­ STARTER
184 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 23, 2012 16:19 |  #9

I shoot on a crop (at the moment) and find the FL of the 24 perfect, although not wide enough for landscape. When I move to FF shortly I may well have to re evaluate my lenses.
But not being able to have both the 24L and zeiss 21 the new zeiss 25 seemed like a good halfway house between Speed and having the zeiss look.

6D | 24L II | 50MP | 85L II | 200L II | 16-35L F4 IS | Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 | Markings Q10 |

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 23, 2012 16:45 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Ross_Curtis wrote in post #13755438 (external link)
I shoot on a crop (at the moment) and find the FL of the 24 perfect, although not wide enough for landscape. When I move to FF shortly I may well have to re evaluate my lenses.
But not being able to have both the 24L and zeiss 21 the new zeiss 25 seemed like a good halfway house between Speed and having the zeiss look.

Until you are shooting with a FF body, I don't believe there are any good wide angle options for you from Carl Zeiss. 21 ze is the best Carl Zeiss lens. Either 24L or 21ze would only give you a somewhat normal angle of view of 35mm or so.

Facebook (external link)

Ross_Curtis
THREAD ­ STARTER
184 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 23, 2012 16:51 |  #11

Thanks for links. I think I'll get FF first and see how the 24 feels before I move to zeiss plus that'll give the zeiss 25 a while to start getting a few more user reviews.

sponsored links

1,975 views & 0 likes for this thread
Zeiss 25mm F/2.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.