Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Jan 2012 (Thursday) 08:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

NEX as sencond camera ?

quickben
Fairy Gapped
1,512 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Jan 19, 2012 08:40 |  #1

How many of us have a Sony NEX as our second camera, I wonder ?

I'm about to buy a 5n for my wife (she's very excited about it) and to be honest, I'll probably use it almost as much as she will, so I was thinking about getting a NEX 7 in the future so we can share lenses. However, Fujifilm's new X-Pro1 looks adorable and I'm now leaning towards that.

At this rate, I'll end up with both !

Hold on, with adapters for both sony and Fuji to use m-mount lenses, I could just about justify .....

:lol:

Fighting the war against the unnecessary use of the Book Worthy Smiley
My name is Gary, not Ben.
6D 24-70/2.8VC 85/1.8

sponsored links
DarkPhantom
356 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 19, 2012 09:17 |  #2

I tried one in bestbuy...they are super fun to play with! A bit costly...but eh...we may be headed in that direction with the way technology goes.

palmor
959 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 19, 2012 09:37 as a reply to  @ DarkPhantom's post |  #3

I have the older Nex 3 that I bought for the wife and it is a great little camera. As everyone is aware the biggest problem is the lack of lenses right now but for what we use it for that isn't a huge issue.

John
http://pbase.com/palmo​r (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/johnw_trishw[/​URL (external link)
http://johnwoolleyphot​ography.com (external link)
Gear List

wunhang
726 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 19, 2012 09:37 |  #4

Conurus has released an EF to Sony NEX smart adapter that will allow for control of the lens aperture. Of course, it is expensive.

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D II | XSI (Infrared modified) | SL1 | 16-35mm L f/4.0 IS | 24-70mm L f/2.8 II | 40mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200mm L f/4.0 IS | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | C/Y 28mm f/2.8 | Tamron 35mm f/1.8 VC | C/Y 50mm f/1.7 | Zeiss 100mm MP
::SmugMug (external link)::

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 19, 2012 09:46 as a reply to  @ wunhang's post |  #5

I had the first gen NEX-3 and it is a great little camera. I was able to get higher ISO shots just about equivalent to my 7D and it was great for video too. The only reason I sold was that I didn't end up using it near as much as I thought but I'm toying with the idea of buying one of the new models again. Make sure though that you are not wanting a true "compact" camera. While the bodies are small the lenses take them well out of the pocketable category but I was more interested in the better IQ of the larger sensor so that wasn't an issue for me.

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 19, 2012 09:50 |  #6

Small bodies, large lenses is my biggest gripe against the Nex. If I'm going to get a compact ILC than I also want the lenses to be compact too.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 19, 2012 10:01 |  #7

I'd consider it down the road, as more lenses and maybe cheaper adaptors come on the market. Right now, probably not.

Luckypenguin
612 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 19, 2012 10:08 |  #8

I really love the mirrorless ILC systems, although I went with Micro 4/3. Being able to use the LCD to compose in a live-view optimised camera with fast AF makes using the optical viewfinder on a DSLR seem like a ball and chain. Still waiting for Canon to come up with a mirrorless system...

Nic - flickr photostream (external link)
G1X (last Canon standing)

joonrhee
Goldmember
3,889 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 19, 2012 11:21 |  #9

I plan to get the NEX-7 when it releases... looks pretty promising.

a7RII • V12 • L21 • S24GM • S85
Full Gear List & Feedback
SmugMug (external link)

dino8031
849 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 23, 2012 15:37 as a reply to  @ joonrhee's post |  #10

I've been reading the DPReview write up on the NEX-7 and it sounds killer. I've been GASing for one big time.

The giant built in .73x EVF seems like something that will make it really work for me.

$1100 for the body.... OMG.

I guess it's less expensive then a sailboat.....:wink:

It looks like it's time to sell the 24-105.....

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 23, 2012 16:00 |  #11

I have the NEX-5N and love it. I use it with the optional VF and all my legacy glass - CV lenses, Canon FD, Contax G and Nikon. Focusing with the focus peak function is very quick and quite accurate. I never considered the NEX-7 because I wanted a camera that performs well at high ISO - the NEX-7 with the same size sensor packs in a wopping 24 mps - that's just insane.

fotocrack
194 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 23, 2012 16:38 |  #12

I got the NEX-3 with the 18-55 lens. Nice backup.
Got it for my wife last month and it is doing the trick. Easy to use and got quality pics.

5DM3 lover :cool: //My custom build computer //My Feedback
PLEASE DONATE TO YOUR LOCAL FOOD BANKS AND LOCAL CHARITIES

tempest68
980 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 23, 2012 17:15 |  #13

I go back and forth on whether to invest in another system. For me, it wouldn't be the Sony. Of the systems available right now or about to be in the next month or two, I'd either go for the EP-3 or the forthcoming X-Pro1.

The new sensor on the X-Pro1 sounds promising and I like the initial lineup of primes. However there is no mention of AF performance in the marketing, which leads me to believe it is not a strong point of the X-Pro1. So considering the AF might not be as good as some other systems and factor in the rumored price of $1700 for the body and another $500 (or $650 depending on the source) for each lens, I find it hard to justify that kind of cash outlay for another system (possibly with a mediocre AF system).

I've looked at the EP-3. The AF system seems like one of the best out there for this type of camera. I also like the available selection of primes ( I think if you're going to use mostly zooms on these cameras, you might as well stay with a DSLR since there isn't much difference in size and the DSLR performance will be much better ). But then I think about the 4/3rds sensor performance vs. an APS-C, and that holds me back too.

So for now I'm sticking with DSLR systems (and my Panasonic TS-3 - it's my "I can take it to the beach, knock it around, and not worry about it" camera for casual snapshots).

I've been looking at the Pentax DSLR system lately. One thing I like about their DSLR system is the availability of pancake primes with AF. Their 21mm f/3.2, 40mm f/2.8, and 70mm f/2.4 lenses would make a wonderful three lens kit that is as physically small/light-weight as you could probably get. If I were to be starting from scratch, I'd probably consider going this route. But then again, I like the variety of options we have available in the Canon camp. So I don't see a complete change of systems as something that will happen for me. I love the compactness of the Voigtlander 40mm I have. And it is a fine MF lens. But there are times I'd like a pancake lens with AF for the Canon system.

Bottom line: all of these systems are a compromise of one sort or another. The hard part is picking which compromise serves you best for the majority of your shooting. For me, I'm finding sticking with the Canon DSLR is the best compromise. Spending money on a second system just doesn't seem worth it. Having a point-n-shoot like a S100, GX-1 or any other where I'm not going down a path of wanting/needing additional accessories ( or lenses ) for the 2nd system just makes sense.

Jim
Canon: EOS 3, 40mm f2.8 STM, 85mm f1.8 USM. Voigtlander: R3A, 28mm F2.8 SL II, Nokton 40mm f1.4, 50mm f2 Heliar.
Nikon: SB-25. Yongnuo: YN565EX, YN-622C transceiver (x2)
Sony: A7S, a6000, 24-240mm f3.5-6.3 G, Nissin i40.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 23, 2012 17:25 |  #14

I got an LX5. I decided I can justify or afford 2 lens systems and I think carrying lenses defeats the purpose of a lightweight companion camera. If I only stick with the kit lens, then it offers little advantage over the LX5, etc, since the slow aperture nearly cancels out the larger sensor.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

lowincash
183 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 24, 2012 16:16 |  #15

I have a nex-7 and it's great. Got it almost a month ago along with the Zeiss 24mm 1.8 and the Tamron 18-200mm lens. Bought a Minolta 58mm 1.4 lens to play with so it should be fun. I think this is a great camera and it's pretty much everything I need in a camera. Only wish the focusing was better, like those on normal dslr that's using phase auto focus. Other than that it's been perfect. I'm sure you'll like it too =]

RockMon -- 50D -- Canon 24-105mm f/4 IS L -- Canon 28mm f/1.8 -- Canon 85mm f/1.8 -- 270EX w/ OmniBouncer -- RS-80N3 Remote Switch

sponsored links

2,681 views & 0 likes for this thread
NEX as sencond camera ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.