Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 11 Jul 2011 (Monday) 15:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Linux -any linux users?

robscomputer
429 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 04, 2012 07:51 as a reply to  @ post 13640565 |  #61

I've been really disappointed in the same thing, seems like everyone is trying to make Linux dumbed down. Honestly this is why I gave up on Ubuntu, and went to Mint. Mint accounted they are also running into problems because the Gnome project is going the same way with version 3.

http://blog.linuxmint.​com/?p=1910 (external link)

Amateur photographer

sponsored links
MassiveSi
109 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 04, 2012 07:59 |  #62

number one problem for me on linux (gnome 3) is different resolution dual monitors

7d | 5Dm2 |17-40 L | 70-200 F/4 L IS | EFS 18-55 | Canon 28-135mm | Canon 85mm 1.8 | MP-E 65mm | Sigma 50-500

minitrucker
197 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 04, 2012 11:07 as a reply to  @ MassiveSi's post |  #63

I was completely satisfied with the gnome 2 based Mint 11 but i got into distro hopping and came across #! Needed to get out of my comfort zone. But then the HDD with mint took a random dive on me, so its all #! now and personally I'm loving it. I looked at Mint 12 didnt like it at all. I too am worried about the future of linux. I'll just stick with openbox distros.

Photography on my budget? WHAT WAS I THINKIN?!:confused:

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 04, 2012 17:35 |  #64

I tried Linux Mint 12 because of the buzz, but I could not believe the apparent lack of configurability. What is it with this Gnome thing?

I would like to suggest people who feel the same try Xubuntu. It is Ubuntu minus Gnome plus Xfce. It seems to me it has the nice parts of Ubuntu without the Gnome issues, and a rather decent desktop environment. (I understand there is an Xfce variant of Mint, but it doesn't track the latest Mint, where as the Ubuntu variations are up to date.)

(Disclaimer: I use Slackware Linux with Xfce primarily, and Xubuntu only occasionally.)

minitrucker
197 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 04, 2012 23:00 as a reply to  @ lar55's post |  #65

The Xfce Mint is a rolling debian release. Not the same periodic Ubuntu based as the rest of Mint. Puppy is the only slackware based I've tried. I'm actaully double booting 5.3 lucid puppy. Not exactly for me, but I'm trying to give it a fair chance. So far Mint and #! are my top 2. I love the humongous repos of Ubuntu and Debian based distros. Although I really want to figure out and try Arch or Archbang

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 05, 2012 08:55 |  #66

All this GNOME and KDE stuff is basically dead for those who believe that computers are worth learning a lot and customizing a computer a lot because it will pay off.

The "popular" distribution policies and their default desktops are for people who don't believe in investing any effort to get a more powerful tool in your hands.

If anything the move past what MS windows did all along to even more dumb things like making it work like a table are proof enough.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

sbattey
Goldmember
1,250 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 05, 2012 11:41 |  #67
bannedPermanent ban

That crunch bang desktop looks appealing. I just wish the application selection on Linux was so horrible and badly designed. The lack of usability research is apparent in almost all applications.

Maybe, just maybe, I might one day switch my MacBook to crunch bang, but never would I dream of switching my main computer.

Canon 7D | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | 430EX II
Blog (external link)

minitrucker
197 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 20, 2012 15:27 as a reply to  @ sbattey's post |  #68

I haven't really had too many problems with usability. Photography programs are the only gripes I have but I think that's because I learned on a ll Adobe.... maybe. But I don't think too many programmers are photographers, and I'm under the impression there aren't too many photogs that can program a whole RAW processing program... I know I can't....yet;)

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 20, 2012 16:52 |  #69

minitrucker wrote in post #13739187 (external link)
I haven't really had too many problems with usability. Photography programs are the only gripes I have but I think that's because I learned on a ll Adobe.... maybe. But I don't think too many programmers are photographers, and I'm under the impression there aren't too many photogs that can program a whole RAW processing program... I know I can't....yet;)

There are several raw conversion programs for Linux out there. The problem is that to the extent of my testing none of them have particularly good noise reduction.

Older versions of dpp run in wine but it's (still) awkward to use. Newer version might run in newer versions of wine, it's been a while since I tried.

There is a set of UI modifications for the GIMP that places menus and other control elements where they are in photoshop. I never used it, no idea how much of your muscle memory that brings back into action.

exwintech
Gone, but not forgotten . . .
551 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 20, 2012 19:32 as a reply to  @ uOpt's post |  #70

uOpt - Did you try the NR in RawTherapee? Seems to be quite functional. More so than the less-gradual setup in Digikam.

Regards, Dave.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 22, 2012 16:51 |  #71

exwintech wrote in post #13740393 (external link)
uOpt - Did you try the NR in RawTherapee? Seems to be quite functional. More so than the less-gradual setup in Digikam.

Regards, Dave.

No. Thanks for the tip, will try next time on my computer!

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 22, 2012 20:23 |  #72

exwintech wrote in post #13740393 (external link)

Regards, Dave.

rawtherapee gets 3 thumps up for it's noise reduction :). The luminance NR is most excellent! I'll post a comparison when I get the chance.

2 down for it's UI but it's probably fine for most people who did photography on other GUI systems.

ETA: except it crashed before I could save...

exwintech
Gone, but not forgotten . . .
551 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 23, 2012 16:07 as a reply to  @ uOpt's post |  #73

uOpt - What system were you running RawTherapee on? From forums it seems to be stable on RPM-based, less so on DEB-based - such as the 'Bunties.

Also, some Distros - including the PCLOS (PCLinuxOS) I use, test and pre-tweak where needed, all apps-etc, in their Repos.

And "suggest" - obviously can't enforce - that users only install (PCLOS is a Synaptic installer setup) from the Repo, not "external". If something is needed, and isn't in the Repo - enter a decscription, origin, functions, in Package Request on the Distro Forum.

RawTherapee was actually one such - I'd run an external install back in KDE3.5, and while 'promising', it was pretty unstable. In KDE4.x RT was a Package Request, and the Team set up the by then latest version to run stably in PCLOS - and results are very good.

That PCLOS Repository has "only" 13,000 or so apps, programs, tools, utilities and such, is because everything in it is pre-checked and adjusted to suit, compared with some Distro Repos which list many more items, but which makes it more difficult for their Teams to check and adjust each, if needed.

Regards, Dave.

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 23, 2012 16:33 |  #74

RawTherapee crashed when diggling around too much with the crop function in the main picture while other view were active and getting in the way, then trying to save. It really didn't look integration dependent.

From a technical standpoint it's very problematic to look at difference between rpm based systems on one side and deb based systems on the other. After installation there is nothing left of the package manager. Without a doubt distributions sometimes destabilize software by messing with dependencies of that software, but that's across the board.

It any case, it didn't happen again and it's a Debian.

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 23, 2012 19:34 |  #75

On the subject of RAW conversion on Linux, for those unhappy with ufraw+Gimp or the above mentioned RawTherapee... In the current Popular Photography they mention a new Corel product called Aftershot Pro. A very short look at a beta version, not a real review, but they seem to like it. Runs on Linux as well as Windows and Mac. This is not a free product - list is US$100 (which Pop Photo says is half the price of the competition) but there seems to be a free trial download. It would be great if a Linux user who knows what they are doing with RAW conversion (excludes me!) would try it out and report back.

sponsored links

7,398 views & 0 likes for this thread
Linux -any linux users?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.