Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 20 Jan 2012 (Friday) 21:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Going on a cruise - lens advice

firefighter4u
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 23, 2012 05:21 |  #31

gibbit1 wrote in post #13752095 (external link)
I think you mean noisy auto-focus, not zoom. I have both the Tamron 17-50mm and the 28-75mm, and neither has noisy auto-focus. They do make a slight hum, but it's nothing you'd notice, especially on a crowded ship.

Remember to have a good time. I'm sure you'll find the combination that works best.

yea thats what I meant to say (must have been sleeping when I typed that...)

Thanks for the info. My wife is battling stage 4 breast cancer so I wanted to bring the 7d for both still and video to capture as many memories as I can, but you're right I need to make sure we have a good time....

7D; 450D; Canon 50 1.4; 70-200 2.8L II; Tamron 17-50 2.8; Tamron 18-270 VC; Genesis 200; 430EX; YN 560II
Please support breast cancer research

sponsored links
Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 23, 2012 08:18 |  #32

I have done quite a lot of cruises, many caribbean, alaska, panama canal, and more. I have tried all sorts of camera combos, from lugging on mulitple bodies, 5 lenses, tripods, monopods, flash's, ect, ect, ect.

My setup for my next cruise in the fall will be:
5D with 17-40 F4L
1DMKIII (or 7D if I buy one to save space) and my 70-300 IS L which I bought specifically for being compact for travel.
Maybe my 580EX, and I do find that a travel sized tripod can be good for a few things, but don't go overboard in that department since they are a pain to travel with. A lowlight prime is also a good idea for pictures in the ship of family ect, since the lighting is usually very low.

Over my cruises I have decided that having a kit that is easy enough to travel with will trump making sure you have every piece of the kit you might need with you.

I would also, depending on your itinerary, recommend getting some kind of a waterproof compact/helmet camera. In the past I have used a number of olpympus waterproof units, none of which survived for long, and now have a gopro hero HD 2 for the purpose. Some days you will not want to lug around your gear/you will be getting wet or doing something that just plain doesn't allow a heavy SLR. I mean I tend to do more "adventure" excusions than walking tours, like ATV's, zip lines, ect.

Most of the photos in this gallery were taken on cruises: http://www.pbase.com …raphy/landscape​_&page=all (external link)

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Gallery (external link)My Gear
what the L. just go for it.

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 23, 2012 15:30 |  #33

firefighter4u wrote in post #13752327 (external link)
Thanks for the info. My wife is battling stage 4 breast cancer so I wanted to bring the 7d for both still and video to capture as many memories as I can, but you're right I need to make sure we have a good time....

Wow. Good luck to you and your wife. And I hope you don't mind me pointing out the irony in your avatar.

I know you want to capture as many good times with your wife as you can, but seriously think about just bringing a high quality point and shoot. I think you are better off making your wife the focal point of the trip rather than making capturing your wife the focal point. Your memories will be there no matter what equipment you use and you don't want her to think you are more worried about your camera than her.

I hope that doesn't come across as stepping over a line as it is not meant to.

Buy yourself the new Gx. I have a G12 and it is the perfect vacation camera. The Gx takes it a step further. Also has video. Pretty fast lens and you can buy a gorilla pod (tripod) and a waterproof housing for it.

Joe- 2 bodies, L 2.8 zoom trilogy and a couple of primes
iRocktheShot.com (external link) - Portfolio (external link)

Gear/Feedback
Facebook "Fan" Page (external link) -

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 23, 2012 16:21 |  #34

we have a thread for cruises as well (Located in the transportation section

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

firefighter4u
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 23, 2012 18:54 |  #35

CosmoKid wrote in post #13755093 (external link)
Wow. Good luck to you and your wife. And I hope you don't mind me pointing out the irony in your avatar.

I know you want to capture as many good times with your wife as you can, but seriously think about just bringing a high quality point and shoot. I think you are better off making your wife the focal point of the trip rather than making capturing your wife the focal point. Your memories will be there no matter what equipment you use and you don't want her to think you are more worried about your camera than her.

I hope that doesn't come across as stepping over a line as it is not meant to.

Buy yourself the new Gx. I have a G12 and it is the perfect vacation camera. The Gx takes it a step further. Also has video. Pretty fast lens and you can buy a gorilla pod (tripod) and a waterproof housing for it.

Yea, that photo was taken about a year before she was diagnosed. Those "attributes" are no longer there......

7D; 450D; Canon 50 1.4; 70-200 2.8L II; Tamron 17-50 2.8; Tamron 18-270 VC; Genesis 200; 430EX; YN 560II
Please support breast cancer research

digicIV
64 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 23, 2012 20:24 |  #36

Just get a 24mm or 20mm prime to complete your kit. You will end up shooting wide most of the time. But then again it all depends on your preferred style

BioSci
406 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 23, 2012 21:41 as a reply to  @ digicIV's post |  #37

I'm going on a Caribbean cruise in a few weeks. I plan to take my 7D, 17-55 EF-S, 100-400L, and a 2X telextender. That way I'll cover 17mm to 800mm, although I expect the big 100-400 will spend most of the time in my cabin.

Gripped 7D | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 100-400L | 17-55 f/2.8 | lots of misc stuff

Tyo Photographyexternal link

Apollo.11
Goldmember
1,845 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 23, 2012 21:44 |  #38

JeffreyG wrote in post #13743666 (external link)
Unless the boat hits a rock or something. :(

Unless you're hardcore, you'll be worrying about something else other than your gear. :)

Some Stuff

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 23, 2012 21:52 |  #39

I have not been on the big boats. But on smaller ones, and by that I mean a couple hundred feet, be aware that if you look through the viewfinder for a while you'll get seasick. To avoid that, keep both eyes open when you can and take the camera down often.

Monopods and tripods will bring vibration up to the body.

With a monopod, I would put it on my foot to help minimize that.

Have fun.

Just a guess, but you'll spend time in safety drills.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 23, 2012 22:43 |  #40

Apollo.11 wrote in post #13757380 (external link)
Unless you're hardcore, you'll be worrying about something else other than your gear. :)

Just bring a solid pelican case that'll float! It protect your gear and give you something to hold onto in the ocean

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,670 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 24, 2012 11:59 |  #41

Veemac wrote in post #13743732 (external link)
The Sigma 17-70 offers you more FL versatility than the 17-50/55 lenses, with only a small penalty in aperture size (variable f/2.8-4 vs. fixed 2.8). It has OS (IS), focuses quickly and quietly and offers great IQ. Pair that with your 70-200 and you'd pretty much have it covered.

I was going to suggest the same. The 17-70 is an excellent versatile lens, faster that the 17-85 suggested by some. Considering that it costs only around $400 new, it is hard to beat. Except that I pair it with a Tamron 70-300 VC.

On a different subject:

I was on a Caribbean cruise (Carnival) only once, fifteen years ago, and found it boring. I just did not find enough things to shoot. If I did it again, I would take a decent P&S with me, not an SLR. You are not going on a photographic expedition. Enjoy the trip with your wife, stick a P&S in the pocket, and try to have as much fun as you can.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

LightRules
"flat out embarrassing"
9,909 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 24, 2012 12:20 |  #42

I'll repeat once more my recommendation below. There's all this excitement about planning and "what lens to bring for my behemoth DSLR", then the reality sets in and you're on the cruise and find that it's just a whole lot better to just stick with a good P&S or a bridge camera (like the Panny FZ-150: 25-600mm, fantastic Power Optical Stabilization, 1080 HD video with AF and zooming, lightweight, 12 FPS single focus or 5.5 FPS with continuous AF, tons of shooting modes, RAW ability, the list goes on...).

There you have it :D

firefighter4u wrote in post #13740787 (external link)
getting something that may be more versatile for on board the ship and general "sight seeing"

kamek wrote in post #13744546 (external link)
Personally, I find that a DSLR is just too much to bring on vacation. While I understand the want for great quality pictures, you have to figure out if you're willing to lug around the big camera and worry about taking an extra piece of luggage. Your P&S will fit in your pocket and will capture the same moments. I say leave the bulky thing behind so you can carry beach towels instead! :cool:

LightRules wrote in post #13743582 (external link)
That said, you might want to seriously consider getting something like a bridge superzoom. I've got the Panny Lumix FZ-150 and it's pretty impressive and versatile. Another choice might be the Canon SX40. I'd say at least look into these options. You'll love how light and small they are vis-a-vis your 7D, and the 25-600mm range is so versatile, with 1080 HD video with AF and zoom capabilities. Sure they've got their limitations but their perks easily outweigh them.

Lbsimon wrote in post #13760287 (external link)
I was on a Caribbean cruise (Carnival) only once, fifteen years ago, and found it boring. I just did not find enough things to shoot. If I did it again, I would take a decent P&S with me, not an SLR. You are not going on a photographic expedition. Enjoy the trip with your wife, stick a P&S in the pocket, and try to have as much fun as you can.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 24, 2012 12:34 |  #43

firefighter4u wrote in post #13740787 (external link)
My wife and I are going on our first cruise in April. As you can see I only have a 50mm 1.4 and a 70-200 2.8 to use on my 7d. I like the 50mm but am thinking about selling it and getting something that may be more versatile for on board the ship and general "sight seeing". I was looking at the canon 17-40 or perhaps the sigma 17-50. The canon 24-70 is a little out of my price range. Any suggestions?

I've been on a couple of cruises, get something like the sigma 17-50 2.8 or Tamron 17-50 2.8, 430ex flash and travel tripod and that will cover it.

zacreth
34 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 24, 2012 12:43 |  #44

Never know when someone wants to wave "hi" to someone on shore and then well... gl.

But on another note, would a zoom be more preferable than something like sigma 30? I was planning on getting one of those for close quarters like a cruise ship.

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 24, 2012 15:10 |  #45

I just took my whole bag with me.... But it didn't bother me much since being on the ocean isn't really new to me

sponsored links

5,644 views & 0 likes for this thread
Going on a cruise - lens advice
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.