Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 19 Jan 2012 (Thursday) 13:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

SmugMug: Better salesman than I!

TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 22, 2012 18:23 as a reply to  @ post 13741186 |  #16

When creating a new gallery, set the pricing before uploading any photos and grab the URL for emailing. This way all the photos can upload overnight. If you send an email to those interested that "new photos are being uploaded", you can actually make sales before getting up in the morning.

sponsored links
Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 22, 2012 20:38 |  #17

How the heck do you make money selling a 4x6 photo for 19 cents when thats what it costs to print them, unless I am missing something?

Your camera is alot smarter than the "M" Zealots would have you believe

randomlinh
992 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 22, 2012 21:52 |  #18

Bosscat wrote in post #13750595 (external link)
How the heck do you make money selling a 4x6 photo for 19 cents when thats what it costs to print them, unless I am missing something?

he didn't.

and to the OP, you came in at the right time.. the pricing system was reworked... it is FAR nicer now than it was before.

lankforddl
THREAD ­ STARTER
747 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 22, 2012 22:30 |  #19

randomlinh wrote in post #13751070 (external link)
he didn't.

and to the OP, you came in at the right time.. the pricing system was reworked... it is FAR nicer now than it was before.

Review vs profit. You're correct.

5DIICAN17-40CAN50CAN85CAN100CAN135CAN70-200

Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 22, 2012 22:43 |  #20

Why go through all the work to take the photos, and set up galleries and then make nothing?

I could sit on a couch all day and make nothing too, and yet have used no effort to do it

lankforddl
THREAD ­ STARTER
747 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 23, 2012 22:08 |  #21

Bosscat wrote in post #13751302 (external link)
Why go through all the work to take the photos, and set up galleries and then make nothing?

I could sit on a couch all day and make nothing too, and yet have used no effort to do it

First off... Photography is

1. It's therapeutic for me.
2. a creative outlet.
3. FUN!

Bosscat wrote in post #13751302 (external link)

Because it's my hobby and I enjoy it...

I make my living (and a good one) as an IT Systems Analyst with a Degree in Biology. Profit is not my primary goal.

5DIICAN17-40CAN50CAN85CAN100CAN135CAN70-200

celowbe
838 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 24, 2012 00:00 |  #22

Just wondering when you upload to smugmug do u upload the full high res image?

Gear list

Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 24, 2012 08:15 |  #23

lankforddl wrote in post #13757531 (external link)
First off... Photography is

1. It's therapeutic for me.
2. a creative outlet.
3. FUN!

Because it's my hobby and I enjoy it...

I make my living (and a good one) as an IT Systems Analyst with a Degree in Biology. Profit is not my primary goal.

So basically then, if there was a guy at these events shooting to put food on the table, you are taking money out of his mouth, just because you want something fun to do after work.

GadgetRick
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 24, 2012 08:38 |  #24

Bosscat wrote in post #13759153 (external link)
So basically then, if there was a guy at these events shooting to put food on the table, you are taking money out of his mouth, just because you want something fun to do after work.

Oh come on. Why is it such a problem when someone actually enjoys photography and does it as a hobby? Why does everyone shooting have to be after making money. I wish I didn't have to make money shooting, would make it much more enjoyable for sure.

I read things like this all of the time from bitter photographers blaming everyone else but themselves for problems in the industry. I'm not talking about you personally--I don't know you--but most (yes MOST) of the, "pros," I see out there suck as photographers and suck even more as business people. This is a bigger problem than someone who isn't trying to make money taking business away from those of us who are.

We, as photographers, need to take a long, hard look at what WE have done to cause others to go to the guys/gals shooting for little to nothing rather than just blame everyone else for our woes.

Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 24, 2012 10:01 as a reply to  @ GadgetRick's post |  #25

There is nothing wrong with going in and offering your services at the same rate as whomever is shooting a gig, but when people come in and do it for free, it then re establishes the value for all future photographers.

I know of a place where some gal offered to shoot without pay, except for photo sales. She stinks, but the venue is happy, as they save the $100-$150 they used to pay per nite.

I wonder what the IT guy would say if some photographer showed up and offered to do his job for minimum wage at his place of employment?

GadgetRick
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 24, 2012 10:49 |  #26

Bosscat wrote in post #13759709 (external link)
There is nothing wrong with going in and offering your services at the same rate as whomever is shooting a gig, but when people come in and do it for free, it then re establishes the value for all future photographers.

I know of a place where some gal offered to shoot without pay, except for photo sales. She stinks, but the venue is happy, as they save the $100-$150 they used to pay per nite.

I wonder what the IT guy would say if some photographer showed up and offered to do his job for minimum wage at his place of employment?

He would say what I would say--you'll get what you pay for.

If the venue is happy with the free (crappy) shots then they would have looked elsewhere than you or I anyway. So nothing is lost to be quite honest.

Photographers seem to forget that photography is NOT a necessity, rather, it's a LUXURY. Some will pay for it. Some will pay for quality. Some will not. Those who will not are not people I'm trying to do business with. Those who will are.

Those who will pay for quality aren't going to be swayed by someone offering crappy photos for free or cheap. If, on the other hand, they are as good or better than us it may be a problem. However, it's still not up to us to decide what others should charge for their services. If someone can afford to do a 90 minute shoot for $20, more power to them. I cannot. So I deal with it rather than whine about someone charging less than me.

Right now there are two signs for a photographer out on my way to/from my sons' school. The signs are almost childish they're so bad. They offer a free 90 minute session. Am I worried about this person as competition? Absolutely not. If someone is willing to do business with someone else who is so (obviously) not professional then they probably wouldn't want to pay my rates anyway. Again, nothing was lost to me.

I just don't get the animosity towards someone like this guy. He's not your or my problem.

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 24, 2012 11:11 |  #27

Bosscat wrote in post #13759153 (external link)

That hypothetical guy needs to adapt, and become a better businessman. He needs to better differentiate himself and his product from the 'for free' guy and sell himself.. He needs to demonstrate the value he can add.

If he can't do that, or at least provide a better product than the guy doing this in his spare time, he probably needs to find a new line of work.

[ www (external link)ยท flickr (external link)]

Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 24, 2012 11:47 |  #28

People buy on price........Wal-Mart is eveidence of that.

They have Made in China stuff, but its cheap........that is what they built the biz model on

I have shots that wow every photographer I know, but if it is priced double of the next guys average shot, the average consumer will take the average shot at half the price, because "It's good enough".

Smg Mug didn't make these sales, bargain basement pricing did!

Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 24, 2012 12:03 |  #29

lankforddl wrote in post #13757531 (external link)

I have a Degree in Biology as well, actually B.Sc. majoring in Animal Nutrition, but it's the same, right? So I think I'll pose as an IT Systems Analyst, you know just for fun, ask my employer to pay me virtually nothing and see how long it'll take until then realize I do an "OK" job and they can hire more like me for less than they pay you. I think in a short period of time we can devalue IT System Analysts and we can have "fun" while doing it.

Just because you like shooting for fun and don't need to make money at it doesn't make it cool for you to screw up a market for some hard working photographers who DO need the money for mortgages, food etc. Hobbies are NOT jobs, but they can steal jobs.

Do everyone a favour, including yourself, and price yourself so you make money and you can feel good about contributing to the photography industry, not wrecking it.

Lindsey
Gear - Website (external link)

Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 24, 2012 12:11 |  #30

Rubi Jane wrote in post #13760304 (external link)
Just because you like shooting for fun and don't need to make money at it doesn't make it cool for you to screw up a market for some hard working photographers who DO need the money for mortgages, food etc. Hobbies are NOT jobs, but they can steal jobs.

Do everyone a favour, including yourself, and price yourself so you make money and you can feel good about contributing to the photography industry, not wrecking it.

bw!bw!bw!

sponsored links

7,221 views & 0 likes for this thread
SmugMug: Better salesman than I!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.