Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Jan 2012 (Sunday) 16:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How long do you leave your camera on?

weeatmice
763 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 24, 2012 03:59 |  #61

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #13757387 (external link)
That's a bit paranoid and overly cautious imho. For starters, powering it off doesn't remove the current. You would need to remove the battery and any axillary batteries. You would also need to remove the lens as there is still current between the lens and the body. That level of condensation is nearly impossible to achieve unless it was really cold and the house very hot and humid. I live in Bangkok where it hits 41c and have went from AC (24c) to out outside (and vice versa) and have never seen condensation.

I think Chuck Westfall had a write up a while back about sleep mode stating it was pretty close to powering it off from a consumption perspective.

For me, I turn it on when leaving for a shoot or walking around. Once I'm done for the night (shooting, post processing, etc..) I shut it back off. I'm not worried about a switch or anything, just saving a bit of battery life. The sensor cleaning is a bit of a plus too, but not really a concern.

Its no big deal. I just turn it off if I see my glasses or the lens mist up :)

FS: UK: 1D Mark IV.
Twopixel.co.uk (external link) | 500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Pinterest (external link) |

sponsored links
John_T
Goldmember
3,098 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Jan 24, 2012 05:25 |  #62

It is actually a good idea to switch the camera off when putting it in your bag. Pressed in there or jiggling around, the shutter button may get pressed, half-way starting AF and IS cycles, all the way releasing the shutter, especially if the lens is switched to MF.

Flew to Spain a couple of months ago with a tightly stuffed bag. Heard this funny noise now and again, thought somebody was shooting, but didn't see anybody doing it. When I opened the bag in the hotel room, one body was fine and switched off, the other was switched on but with dead batteries. Luckily I had the other body, but really wanted the one that was dead. Waiting for a battery to charge is like watching grass grow.

Canon : EOS R : 5DIV : 5DS R : 5DIII : 7DII : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : RF-24-105L IS : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS II : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 600EX-RT : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...

Grimes
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 24, 2012 07:32 |  #63

I only turn it off when I remember....did this with every DSLR I ever owned, and no ill effects!

Alex
5DMKII | 85 f/1.8 | 17-40L f/4 | 24-105 f/4 IS | 40 f/2.8

borism
Goldmember
3,414 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 24, 2012 07:34 |  #64

I turn the camera off when I am packing and I put it in the bag when I am going back home otherwise it stays on most of the time

CANON 6D - SONY A6000

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 24, 2012 12:22 |  #65

I left my 50D on for about a year.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jan 24, 2012 12:29 |  #66

I once had the camera in the off position and went to quickly take a shot, to discover that the camera was off. Well, since then, I've never turned it off again.

I can't remember the last time my camera remained in the off position. I only cycle the on/off every now and then to do a sensor cleaning. Otherwise, the camera remains on whether it's in use (duh) or in my bag, if I'm changing lenses or batteries or even removing/adding the grip.

No ills yet.

rh18
180 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2011

Jan 24, 2012 13:32 |  #67

After reading this thread, I think I'm going to have to re-evaluate my obsessive habit of powering off the camera if I'm not going to be using it in the next 10 or 15 min. I always did wonder if frequent sensor cleaning was hard on the camera - I guess if I just wait to turn it off before it goes back in the bag then I won't have to think about that anymore.

Gear and Feedback | flickr (external link)

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,428 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Jan 25, 2012 19:00 as a reply to  @ rh18's post |  #68

I think this very interesting thread has shown that it really is a matter of choice....

1) Some power-off, out of habit when putting their camera away.

2) Some NEVER power-off, so that the camera is always "ready for action!"

3) Some (like me) power-off-power-on when they've done a few lens changes, to do some sensor cleaning.

4) Some do whatever they feel, as and when......

And NOBODY reports any problems with power switches, or anything else.

So maybe broken power switches is a problem for a tiny minority, and we should just get out there and take more pictures.....
:-)

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

sempaidavid
890 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 25, 2012 19:19 |  #69

John_T wrote in post #13751939 (external link)
- The lens power pins are always on, whether the switch is turned on or off.
- When you open the CF door it cuts the power, so no reason to touch the switch.
- When you open the battery door it cuts the power, no need to touch the switch.

Only reason for the switch is to disable the buttons and give you a free sensor clean.

THIS!

5D mkIII, 1D mkIV, Tokina 16-28 f/2.8, EF 24-70L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, EF 100-400L, EF 85 f/1.8, Sigma 50 f/1.4, EF 24-105
http://www.davidcostap​hotography.com (external link)

genedarrell
604 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 25, 2012 20:56 |  #70

Mine is almost always on on all three bodies

www.genespics.com (external link)
Sony A7RIII,Sony F2.8 70-200, L F4 24-105, Canon 17-40 L,Canon 50 1.4, Sigma 120-300 2.8 IS,GODOX V860II SX2 ,Canon 2X extender II

kram
obvious its pointless
2,607 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 26, 2012 07:40 |  #71

I've never turned the 20D off!! Can't remember ever :)

With the 7D, I do it every 2-3 weeks for the sensor clean to do its thing....

Canon 7D , Canon 6D, 100-400 L, 24-105 F4 L, 50 F1.4, Tokina 12-24 F4, Kenko Teleplus Pro DG 1.4X Extender
My Gallery (external link)

dexy101
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 26, 2012 09:08 |  #72

I turn my 5dmk2 off now and again when i can remember too. Usually ill leave it off if im away working for a few weeks.

PhotosGuy
75,764 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 28, 2012 11:56 |  #73

It's usually on Auto Off after 2 minutes. But...
If your lens has IS, it's a good idea to turn the camera off when you change lenses.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

John_T
Goldmember
3,098 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Jan 28, 2012 13:31 |  #74

The manual says "The image stabilizer operates for about two seconds even when your finger is off the shutter button. Do not remove the lens while the stabilizer is in operation." No mention of switching the camera off.

...but unless you remove the battery(ies), power remains always on the lens power pins whether the switch is switched off or not. So while it may take the two seconds to turn the power switch off that the IS needs to complete its cycle, turning the switch off will not otherwise be of any use other than preventing you from touching the shutter button and setting off another round of IS. :D

Canon : EOS R : 5DIV : 5DS R : 5DIII : 7DII : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : RF-24-105L IS : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS II : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 600EX-RT : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...

jrmy
THREAD ­ STARTER
475 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 28, 2012 14:09 as a reply to  @ John_T's post |  #75

Thanks, everyone, for contributing. Your responses have been most interesting.

Check out my site (external link), as well as my gear and feedback.
5D Mark III | 16-35 II | 24-105 | 50 1.8 II | 70-200 2.8 IS II

sponsored links

6,398 views & 0 likes for this thread
How long do you leave your camera on?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.