Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 24 Jan 2012 (Tuesday) 08:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Music Licensing??

resoundproductions
75 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 24, 2012 14:31 |  #16

kamek wrote in post #13761073 (external link)
There's so much out there on the crap websites that I find it impossible to sort through thousands of tracks to find ONE useable or good one.

Try ibaudio.com. Great selection, quality tracks, reasonable prices. One of the biggest headaches about music licensing is just sorting through the mountain of content that's out there. Most of the bigger libraries have people on staff just to help you find tracks that are appropriate (for a hefty fee, of course). The bigger the library, the more garbage to weed through to find anything of quality.

Once you find a few composers or sources that work for you, you'll have a much easier time of this. Eventually you build up a list of resources for different needs. If I need something high-intensity or heavy I go to X, if I need an upbeat bed for a corporate video I go to Y, etc.

5DmkII | 7D | Tokina 11-16 | 35L | Sigma 50 1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135L | 70-200L 2.8 IS II | Oodles of video gear

sponsored links
Victor ­ Ruiz
91 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 24, 2012 15:01 |  #17

bw!HI everybody.
I’m a professional musician, who loves photography. :cool:

This posting made me thing in some options.

I think if you have a good business as videographer and making proof enough to live of it you may consider hiring a musician for composing original music for your works.:lol:

In this days a there are thousands of great composer taking advantage of technology for recording and recreating orchestral ambiences with the help of music software. Saving hundreds of dollar of rehearsing and recording music, I have a friend in Mexico who does really good music for children’s TV series.

You can “buy” a very well done music track specially made for your purpose ($200 –to- $400) depending the length of the video or the quality and quantity of musical instruments. :p

As well as you have to charge and pay for music licensing you can have and own the music you’re using in your own videos, as a “signature” of your company. You can re-use the same two or three music themes in all your videos during 2012, and renew new music for the next year… etc…

I love Light as I love Sound.
I'm a professional musician who can't stop doing photos all the time. :oops:

Gameface
672 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 24, 2012 15:05 |  #18
bannedPermanent ban

^As a producer and editor, there is usually not enough time in the post-production schedule to get a musician to score a track. Besides, for corporate clients they usually want to hear options of music in round 1. Would you get a musician to score a track for round 1 and then get them to come back in and score for the final cut?

I understand your point but it just isn't feasible on $20-30K productions

Victor ­ Ruiz
91 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 24, 2012 15:33 |  #19

Gameface wrote in post #13761384 (external link)
^As a producer and editor, there is usually not enough time in the post-production schedule to get a musician to score a track. Besides, for corporate clients they usually want to hear options of music in round 1. Would you get a musician to score a track for round 1 and then get them to come back in and score for the final cut?

I understand your point but it just isn't feasible on $20-30K productions

Are asking this to me?

I know about times for postproduction. I think for that purpose we don’t need a “Song” (it means; lyrics with a nice singing voice on it) we need a nice melody with a nice harmony and good texture (orchestral arrangement).
I’m talking about buying two or three good music compositions with two or three different “textures” and “tempo” (slow, med or fast “rhythm”) that are your “property” and can be use in your videos, complete or partially. This music can be re-used in all your works too. (I don’t care if the background music in my wedding video was used in someone’s newborn baby video too) With the advantage of that could be seen (heard) as a signature of your company.
People can post the videos in you tube or their web sites with no risk of copyrights penalties. :cool:

I love Light as I love Sound.
I'm a professional musician who can't stop doing photos all the time. :oops:

Gameface
672 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 24, 2012 15:40 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

Well maybe that's where I am anal. I HATE using the same song in different projects. It even irks me when I use a track for one feel and hear it on a commercial for something entirely different. And since I use so much stock I hear this ALL THE TIME. :D

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 24, 2012 16:07 |  #21

ChasWG wrote in post #13760604 (external link)
So what are some of the places you like to look for music John?

Amazon is quite good and has albums dedicated to different styles which also helps.

I'm not saying that all the tracks are usable and you could have a ratio of 1 in 4 off an album, but that comes down to taste.

What is also good is they often have short sections, title sections, emphasis sections all being variations of the original theme.

If I am editing a piece with music I like to choose the music once I have a concept in my head (or on paper). The music "feel" has such a relevance that it influences the edit significantly. I would find it very difficult to develop an edit without a score and have it added afterwards.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 24, 2012 17:12 |  #22

What's the search that you use on Amazon?

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 24, 2012 17:51 |  #23

ChasWG wrote in post #13762087 (external link)
What's the search that you use on Amazon?

Royalty Free Music

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 24, 2012 18:25 |  #24

I'm a fan on CC-Attribution listed music, where all you need to do is give the artist proper credit. Jamendo.com is where I look for that.

Gear List
David Nichols (external link) - Sound Designer
How to export to Youtube HD from Quicktime

Bruce ­ Foreman
279 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 24, 2012 23:01 |  #25

Gameface wrote in post #13759582 (external link)
There is also an application called Sonicfire Pro which is sweet. Super generic songs but you can actually specify the length of your edit and it will extend or truncate a song and have it fit and editable to your desired length. That is a free download but you have to buy "albums" and those are over a hundo a piece.

This is my primary source of music. Sonicfire Pro is a software product of SmartSound (www.smartsound.com (external link)), the music albums and tracks are mostly recorded by orchestras and groups, they generally have a very rich sound and feel. For those doing weddings there is an album or two of wedding "classics" and this would be well worth the price ($99).

One of their recent developments is "multi-layer" music, you can use mix "presets" or using tools in the software delete or change the level of some instruments.

Through the years I've watched for "sales" and have picked up albums for as low as $19.95. Individual tracks currently are $34.95 on their most recent stuff and each track has variations. The license (included in the purchase price) covers just about any use except national broadcast or nationwide theater distribution (and in those cases the purchasing distributor should use "cue sheets" and pay the extra fees).

Check them out at www.smartsound.com (external link)

Another source is Kevin Mcleod at www.incompetech.com (external link). His terms are for most non commercial use a suggested donation but at the least he asks for credit in the titles and credits. For commercial use or when the format doesn't allow giving him credit, the fee is $30 for the first piece of music in a project, $50 for two pieces, and the scale gets better the more you use.

Kevin's music is quite good if you can find something that works for your project. I've been impressed with scoring on some contest entries.

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 25, 2012 01:52 |  #26

John Sims wrote in post #13761727 (external link)
Amazon is quite good and has albums dedicated to different styles which also helps.

Good call, thanks for the heads up on Amazon, didn't even think of that before.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 25, 2012 02:44 |  #27

As usual Bruce, great info. Kevin's site is pretty interesting for sure! I think I found one piece in that free library that was kind of interesting. Now If I have something for it some time, I'll have to remember it.

Thanks again!

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 25, 2012 03:10 |  #28

Chippy569 wrote in post #13762523 (external link)
I'm a fan on CC-Attribution listed music, where all you need to do is give the artist proper credit. Jamendo.com is where I look for that.

That's what I do. There's plenty of good, if not great, music in the Creative Commons.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

Eiro
Goldmember
1,362 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 25, 2012 04:56 |  #29

I wonder if any licensing issues apply to deejay mixes that are used in videos for profit ?

Get out and shoot

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 25, 2012 11:29 |  #30

Where there's a lawyer willing to prosecute, there is a law being broken! Eiro, with the state of copyright laws, you probably are doing something wrong or pissing into someones Wheaties!

Oh crap, now Kellogg's is going to hunt me down for saying Wheaties! Damn it! Again...

Chas Gordon

sponsored links

5,589 views & 0 likes for this thread
Music Licensing??
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.