Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Jan 2012 (Tuesday) 18:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D worth it for photography only?

AVService
276 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 24, 2012 19:53 |  #16

I have a 7D and 2 40D and rarely choose the 40's if I am going to shoot with just 1 body.

The way it handles and feels IS a part of the process for me and knowing that the AF is so much better has helped a lot.

On the other hand the 40D is such a deal right now for its capabilities that I have no problem carrying one for any job without an issue.
Shooting interiors I usually have the 40D with 10-22 and I love the combo too.

7D | 40Dx2 | 17-55 2.8 | 70-200 2.8L | 10-22 | 24-70 2.8L | 550EX | 430EX | Too Many Bags!

sponsored links
kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 24, 2012 19:56 as a reply to  @ post 13762664 |  #17

Keeping all the cools stuff the &D is good for aside, is the 7D worth it? What an odd question.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

Unregistered.Coward
884 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 24, 2012 20:18 |  #18

gunjanx wrote in post #13762493 (external link)
Is 7D really worth it for photography focused crowd?

To be honest it sucks for anything but photography.

....the best camera is the one you have on you at the time.

gunjanx
THREAD ­ STARTER
58 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 24, 2012 21:00 |  #19

@Kevindar - lol, realized what or rather how I put across my point!
Thanks everyone for points raised so far. I am comparing "The 7D Experience" with Apple product may be. I am seeing good deal on refurb on canon site so may be will go for it.

A Camera, few lenses and enthusiasm!
Flickr (external link) FB Page (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,832 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 24, 2012 21:03 as a reply to  @ gunjanx's post |  #20

trade in an old Canon body and get a few hundred off the refurbed price.

nonick
Goldmember
1,588 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 25, 2012 00:09 |  #21

Yes

Gear|Searching for 7DII, Buying 5DIII 35L II, 24-70 2.8L IS

delhi
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 25, 2012 00:27 as a reply to  @ nonick's post |  #22

Isn't this thread on the wrong section?

In short... yes. The 7D is not a 70d. It is a whole new entirely new level which Canon created above the x0d line. Just think of it as a 1dIV equivalent to a 1dsIII.

Vancouver Portrait Photographer (external link)
No toys. Just tools. (external link) :lol:

5d3/1dx AF Guidebook | What AF Points to use for my 5d3/1dx?! (external link)

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 25, 2012 00:42 |  #23

Winwin wrote in post #13762511 (external link)
Better AF system, more AF points. Awesome action camera :)

I've never found the 50D's AF to be particularly lacking for action/sports:

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3511/3924792214_d70b5fceac_z.jpg?zz=1

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

hhuy888
Goldmember
1,002 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 25, 2012 01:23 |  #24

I have used the 40D for 2 years, 5d2 for 2 years and 7d for 3 months. I found the 7d was fast and all but lots of my files shooting with it (7d) were focus missed.
Maybe it was just me, user's errors, but i did not like it.
If i have to do it all over again, i would skip the 7d and buy a good used 40D if i don't have much money, if i can afford more i would buy a 5D or 5d2.

hhuy

shoenberg3
466 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 25, 2012 01:31 |  #25

5D is significantly cheaper than 7D btw, on the used market.

Unless you really want the new features (video, improved ergonomics(?), nicer screen etc) or have a need for really good AF (almost exclusively sports or wildlife shooter and even then, people are complaining about problems with 7D AF), I really don't see why one should go for a more expensive 7D over the 5D classic.

Buy prints of my photographs at Redbubble -> shoenberg3 | Redbubble (external link)

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 25, 2012 01:35 |  #26

kevindar wrote in post #13762632 (external link)
yes, I think ferrari and bike is not as fair of a comparison. but really, take Angelina, take away her face, her lips, her figure, her not annoying voice, and would not you just be happy with Rosanne Barr?

bw!

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

gunjanx
THREAD ­ STARTER
58 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 25, 2012 01:41 |  #27

Mac, thats a nice shot.
Its same debate, the man or the machine. 50D is surely awesome. I am trying to imagine a situation or scenario where I might end up concluding "Oh god, I could have taken this shot if I would have got 7D"

A Camera, few lenses and enthusiasm!
Flickr (external link) FB Page (external link)

Maxxum5
345 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 25, 2012 01:47 |  #28

Following along, are there AF issues with the 7D or not? If I wind up taking this 7D route as well, I plan on coupling the 7D with the EF-S 17-55 IS as my start up lens. Then when I recover from bankruptcy (pocket drought), I will step up to the EF 70-200 2.8L IS. (No more messing around with "Stock in the Box" lenses.

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 25, 2012 02:07 |  #29

Maxxum5 wrote in post #13764551 (external link)
Following along, are there AF issues with the 7D or not? If I wind up taking this 7D route as well, I plan on coupling the 7D with the EF-S 17-55 IS as my start up lens. Then when I recover from bankruptcy (pocket drought), I will step up to the EF 70-200 2.8L IS. (No more messing around with "Stock in the Box" lenses.

There are no AF issues with the 7D. The majority of reported "AF issues" are user error. The AF system on the 7D is unique in that there are 5 types of AF points. The user has to learn how they each work and when its best to use one type over the other.

gunjanx wrote in post #13764537 (external link)
Mac, thats a nice shot.
Its same debate, the man or the machine. 50D is surely awesome. I am trying to imagine a situation or scenario where I might end up concluding "Oh god, I could have taken this shot if I would have got 7D"

You'd say that when you need a reliable cross-type AF point somewhere in between the 9 you already have ;)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

pxchoi
Goldmember
1,146 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 25, 2012 02:53 |  #30

I've had my 7D since its release and in the big picture it certainly gives you the most bang for your buck. Year after year it continues to fulfill my growing needs and it doesn't disappoint.

However, I think that you should get the best thing that you can afford without having to skimp on a lens. That was my mistake in the past. If you can live without some of the features, you could get a 60D +15-85 for around the same price as a 7D with a kit lens - Just to put things in perspective.

I went from a very happy T1i user to a disappointed 7D user... And it wasn't until I got a solid lens that I realized the 7D's potential.

Patrick Choi
Portfolio (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)
EOS 7D | 580EX II | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5 | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS |70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
For Sale: 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5

sponsored links

9,870 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D worth it for photography only?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.