Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 08 Sep 2006 (Friday) 20:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The 46th TPBM Random Chat Thread with Sneaux and Fresh Employment Opportunities

this thread is locked
thomascanty
Bold. Pink.
Gone, but not forgotten.
38,071 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Jan 25, 2012 12:06 |  #181

Belmondo wrote in post #13766387 (external link)
The worst of it is, the pastrami is really, really good there. That sandwich is the ONLY reason I still enjoy trips to Las Vegas. Otherwise, you can keep the whole fershlugginer place. It's not really my cup 'o tea, but remains very popular with the other two inhabitants of this household.

The best pastrami sandwich I've found so far is at the Cool Deli. Cool is a tiny town in Northern California which is comprised mostly of ranches and one intersection where highways 49 and 193 meet. The deli is at the intersection, next to the general store.

My name is Lonnie, but I answer to Thomas too.
LDPhotography.net (external link) | Weekly Pioneer (external link) | Facebook (external link)
"Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts."

sponsored links
Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
42,735 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 25, 2012 12:06 |  #182

puddlepirate44 wrote in post #13766393 (external link)
I love me a good pastrami. There was a place near where my grandmother lived in Altadena, CA that had this killer pastrami on rye. I was just a kid, so there's a good chance my memory's all askew and that the sandwich was total trash, but I loved it. Grandma would take my sister and I down for a sandwich at least once a visit during the Summer. That and the Hamburger Hamlet. All these memories flooding back....

Ahhhhh. Hamburger Hamlet, an idea whose time came and went. We had one here in Palm Springs, but it closed a few years ago. I just checked their website, and there are only two locations left in California. Sad.

I had my first pastrami sandwich at a place called Don's Delicatessen in Westchester, CA (near the L.A. Airport). It changed my life.

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
42,735 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 25, 2012 12:07 |  #183

thomascanty wrote in post #13766415 (external link)
The best pastrami sandwich I've found so far is at the Cool Deli. Cool is a tiny town in Northern California which is comprised mostly of ranches and one intersection where highways 49 and 193 meet. The deli is at the intersection, next to the general store.

Noted. You never know......... :wink:

Skrim17
The only TPBMer without a title. Enjoying my anonymity.
40,070 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 25, 2012 12:10 |  #184

I have never eaten pastrami in my whole life, my husband enjoys turkey pastrami that we get at the supermarket. It looks odd and fatty to me in any version and I avoid it.

Crissa
PLEASE HELP ME FIND MY PHOTOS!! (external link)

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
42,735 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 25, 2012 12:16 |  #185

Skrim17 wrote in post #13766448 (external link)
I have never eaten pastrami in my whole life, my husband enjoys turkey pastrami that we get at the supermarket. It looks odd and fatty to me in any version and I avoid it.

Well DUH!! :lol: It's the fat that makes it good, and pastrami made from turkeys just ain't the same. (I never claimed it was a health food. :lol:)

thomascanty
Bold. Pink.
Gone, but not forgotten.
38,071 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Jan 25, 2012 12:20 |  #186

I have never eaten pastrami in my whole life

I feel sorry for you...

My name is Lonnie, but I answer to Thomas too.
LDPhotography.net (external link) | Weekly Pioneer (external link) | Facebook (external link)
"Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts."

BearLeeAlive
All butt cheeks and string.
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 25, 2012 12:20 as a reply to  @ post 13766393 |  #187

puddlepirate44 wrote in post #13765971 (external link)
There are a couple of spendy apps that I purchased but mostly I wait until they go on some super sale thing.

I cannot conceive of a calculator that would cost a C-note. Wow.

The ONLY thing that would drag me to NYC are the delis. I have always wanted to go on a Pastrami Sandwich tour of their delis. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

I too like to grab up the ones on sale. That 10 apps per day, for 10 days at $0.10 per app that the Android Market was selling before Christmas found me spend ing a couple bucks. Got some nice apps, and a couple not really so great.

In stores here it is now $80 for the Construction Master Pro, but I see it is even cheaper at Amazon. It does great stuff construction related, like spitting out stud lengths on a rack (sloped) wall, calculating pitches in inches and degrees, volumes of cylinders, adding and multiplying in fractional inches, etc. Helps keep the brain cramps at bay. LINK (external link)

Don't forget that NYC has some fantastic museums, and the people watching is fun too. ;)

thomascanty wrote in post #13766179 (external link)
I paid for the ad-free version of that Scrabble game we play, but I think that was only $1.99 or so. If something was useful enough, $10 wouldn't seem too expensive to me, either, though.

But, I've been looking at the comments on those Audubon apps for Android, and I think I'm going to pass. At least for now. Apparently, they only work on Android v2, not Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich. My old, dying cell phone runs v2, so it would be ok on that, but I plan to upgrade that phone soon. My tablet runs Honeycomb, and whatever new phone I end up with will most likely run on that or ICS.

I too payed for the ad free Word Feud, very much worth it. I wish that the people that do Scrabble would offer one, I would pay up in a heartbeat.

Strange that an app would only operate on the older operating systems, as there are very few of them left out there compared to the newer ones purchased.

Belmondo wrote in post #13766250 (external link)
You betcha'!!

This was shot on my iPhone on our most recent trip to Las Vegas last week. That sandwich actually fed three of us.

:shock:
That is one heck of a stack of yummy looking meat. :)

Jon wrote in post #13766362 (external link)
How does it do when you're trying to identify a bird? I've got iBird Pro on my Thrive (Honeycomb 3.2), but it's basically a bird book with an illustrated (and limited) index. 924 birds, but some peculiarities - you have to look for "kestrel", not "sparrowhawk" for instance. If you search for "finch", it does give you birds with "finch" as part of the name, like "Goldfinch" or "chaffinch" at least. And it will suggest similar species if you try one.

I see that app is the same cost, but gets a slightly higher rating. With lots of these phone apps, they seem to rush them out, and then take forever doing the badly needed upgrades.

Timphoto wrote in post #13766373 (external link)
*drool* There is nothing in this world as good as an honest NYC deli pastrami sandwich. There used to be a fairly good replica of a NYC deli near the Mosconi Center in San Francisco, but the locals didn't appreciate it enough and it closed. That was a sad day.

I dunno, a couple chunks of pastrami that came off my smoker were pretty darn decent. ;)

-JIM-

BearLeeAlive
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 25, 2012 12:23 as a reply to  @ BearLeeAlive's post |  #188

I assume they corn the turkey, then smoke it, just as you do with a beef brisket to get real pastrami. Even though it might be good, there is no way it would taste the same. Real pastrami is a wonderful taste treat (if you are a meat eater, or course).

-JIM-

puddlepirate44
Cream of the Crop
29,316 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 25, 2012 12:31 |  #189

Belmondo wrote in post #13766420 (external link)
Ahhhhh. Hamburger Hamlet, an idea whose time came and went. We had one here in Palm Springs, but it closed a few years ago. I just checked their website, and there are only two locations left in California. Sad.

While Grandma would take us to that deli, Grandpa's haunt was the Hamburger Hamlet on Lake St in Pasadena. We'd have a "guys lunch out" without the dames and go for burgers. Once, he ordered a slice of lemon meringue pie for a dessert. I had never had LMP before and was a little put off by the size of the meringue, so I opted for a hot fudge sundae instead. Grandpa ordered me to have a bite of the pie, just so I'd know what I was missing. Ended up I ate the pie and he had the sundae. Lemon Meringue pie has been my favorite ever since.

Belmondo wrote in post #13766387 (external link)
The worst of it is, the pastrami is really, really good there. That sandwich is the ONLY reason I still enjoy trips to Las Vegas. Otherwise, you can keep the whole fershlugginer place. It's not really my cup 'o tea, but remains very popular with the other two inhabitants of this household.

I've never had a desire to go to Vegas. Just not my thing.

BearLeeAlive wrote in post #13766516 (external link)
I too like to grab up the ones on sale. That 10 apps per day, for 10 days at $0.10 per app that the Android Market was selling before Christmas found me spend ing a couple bucks. Got some nice apps, and a couple not really so great.

I scored a bunch of those apps, too, while they were on that pre-Christmas deal.

In stores here it is now $80 for the Construction Master Pro, but I see it is even cheaper at Amazon. It does great stuff construction related, like spitting out stud lengths on a rack (sloped) wall, calculating pitches in inches and degrees, volumes of cylinders, adding and multiplying in fractional inches, etc. Helps keep the brain cramps at bay. LINK (external link)

Ah, that's pretty specialized. The most expensive calculator I ever used was one that was specifically for celestial navigation back in the 80's. It was about $1500. :shock:

Don't forget that NYC has some fantastic museums, and the people watching is fun too. ;)

Museums, OK. That would be a draw. People watching? Yes, I like people watching, but that's an awful lot of people to watch. To me, that's a bit much.

I tend to ramble. Feel free to put me on ignore.
Important Reading Material (external link)
Wag more, bark less.
Read the current TR Series from the beginning HERE (external link)

cfpackerfan
I love my tail!
51,606 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 25, 2012 12:40 as a reply to  @ BearLeeAlive's post |  #190

3 days late, but I'm subscribing and adding some art to the walls. And to throw you all off... I'm posting my CATS instead of dogs, hahaha.

Soren and Phantom

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

AND, my first MMQ in forever long time. I did not catch up in the last thread at all, but I've made up my mind to stay caught up in this one. :)
Of course, I have some time this morning, and I rarely have time, so we'll see how long this lasts.

I have missed you guys though. And I think I'll try hanging around more. :) Now that I have a phone with internet, I can check in during odd times of the day, without needing to be at home at my desk.

puddlepirate44 wrote in post #13745230 (external link)
SECOND POST!!

Well done. :)

BearLeeAlive wrote in post #13749948 (external link)
edit: Actually, looking closer, methinks I am wrong. There has to be a first for everything.

:lol:

CrazieCricket wrote in post #13751196 (external link)
Last day at Albertsons and on to new job tomorrow. Really looking forward to more hours and less drive time!

I didn't catch up in the last thread, sorry. Where are you working now?

thomascanty wrote in post #13752008 (external link)
Happy Forever Home Day Anniversary, Maggie!

*happy dancing*

Becky N wrote in post #13752336 (external link)
Cat has been given instructions to take good care of my family while out there, even if they are on the other edge of the state from her.

They will love Moab. :) I will be there next weekend.

Permagrin wrote in post #13753961 (external link)
It's just a whole new world. Really. (lol, I am feverish...I just re-read this and realized I was doing the Aladdin "Whole new world" song in a coffee post).

*sings along*

Woolburr wrote in post #13754020 (external link)
I like my green beans sauteed with butter and garlic!

Me too!!!

puddlepirate44 wrote in post #13755232 (external link)
Infatuation is a good word. It's more like eating really cheap chocolate for your whole life then having the opportunity to eat the really good stuff. Cheap cigars v. Havanas. Gut rot whiskey v. Single malt well aged stuff. Seeing pictures of Yosemite v. seeing the real thing. Etc, etc, etc.

^^ that.

Permagrin wrote in post #13755683 (external link)
lol. Now I know to get Dan to write all my copy. :lol:

:lol: And he did it without singing Disney tunes.

T.D. wrote in post #13757216 (external link)
Thanks everyone! It's been a wonderful 3 years and we're looking forward to many more. Many thanks to Cat, Wade and the rest of the Fritos family for making it possible!

No, thank YOU for giving her such an amazing wonderful life!

CrazieCricket wrote in post #13757318 (external link)
Evening all! First day on the new job and so far I LOVE it. Love the shorter drive to work and really like all the people there so far. AND I like the fact that I get full shifts instead of puny little 4hr cwap.

Yay! I'm glad you love your new job.

Belmondo wrote in post #13760937 (external link)
I hope Cat sees this.

LINK (external link)

Thanks for posting Chief. *snif*

thomascanty wrote in post #13761211 (external link)
The second time was just yesterday. I've mentioned here before that my dreams are always *very* vivid, but I don't even know how to describe yesterday's dream. Well, except, it wasn't a dream. It felt so amazingly real! I think Ashley came back to visit me...

I don't doubt that possibility at all. What a great experience. :)

Cat -the femine feline with the namby arms. Loquacious, but not to a fault.
*Best post ever*  (external link)*Inspirations Photography* (external link) *Starfish Journal* (external link) *H.A.R.T.* (external link) <--clickety click!
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

cfpackerfan
I love my tail!
51,606 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 25, 2012 12:48 |  #191

Chief, the video that you linked to is one of Eldad's videos. He has a chanel on YouTube that I am subscribed to, and I try to watch all his new videos as they come in. I hadn't seen that one yet though.
All his videos make me cry. I love his tenderness with the animals, and they respond almost immediately to his love.

http://www.youtube.com​/user/eldad75?feature=​watch (external link)

Cat -the femine feline with the namby arms. Loquacious, but not to a fault.
*Best post ever*  (external link)*Inspirations Photography* (external link) *Starfish Journal* (external link) *H.A.R.T.* (external link) <--clickety click!
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
42,735 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 25, 2012 12:53 |  #192

cfpackerfan wrote in post #13766664 (external link)
Chief, the video that you linked to is one of Eldad's videos. He has a chanel on YouTube that I am subscribed to, and I try to watch all his new videos as they come in. I hadn't seen that one yet though.
All his videos make me cry. I love his tenderness with the animals, and they respond almost immediately to his love.

http://www.youtube.com​/user/eldad75?feature=​watch (external link)

He is obviously a remarkable person. I'm sure he already has many jewels in his crown when he arrives in heaven. :wink:

Skrim17
40,070 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 25, 2012 13:11 |  #193

Finally seem to have the PC situation settled at work, took a while let me tell you!! and the guy came in to measure for blinds today as well which is great as right now I am ducking behind my screen to type as the sun is coming directly in the window!I could change my desk but hate having my back to the door.

Crissa

BearLeeAlive
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 25, 2012 13:15 |  #194

Nice kitties, Cat. :D

-JIM-

Skrim17
40,070 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 25, 2012 13:17 |  #195

Oooh and creepy news of the day, I just found out that this building that we use for the Senior Center used to be a funeral parlor.

Crissa

sponsored links

428,633 views & 0 likes for this thread
The 46th TPBM Random Chat Thread with Sneaux and Fresh Employment Opportunities
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.