Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 17 Jul 2008 (Thursday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp

Majak
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 17, 2011 00:55 |  #2056

Hi Ben_R, First of all, thank you very much indeed for your excellent review of Gitzo Tripod & Markins head - the quick release clamp is the part I got slightly stuck on. I have Pentax but will be getting Nikon camera soon and I am trying to decide how to solve the plate & clamp issues. Does the Markins ballhead come with plates and are some of them quick release ones as well but somehow not adequate or precise enough for the job hence you replaced them with RRS clamp? I understand you buy the plate separately? You have Cannon so this clamp is right for you but it will be a different one for me? and then the matching plates for each camera I suppose? I realize I stumbled upon Cannon forum but since you have such incredible advice, maybe you have some tips for me as well :) I am new to this plate & clamp setup idea, so far I have gone with "what was there" - the easy options, but want to improve my setup... I plan to do a lot of panoramic shots as well and I am guessing I will need a panoramic clamp for that - that's another question as well. Best, Maya

sponsored links
ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 17, 2011 11:54 |  #2057

Majak wrote in post #13411706 (external link)
Hi Ben_R, First of all, thank you very much indeed for your excellent review of Gitzo Tripod & Markins head - the quick release clamp is the part I got slightly stuck on. I have Pentax but will be getting Nikon camera soon and I am trying to decide how to solve the plate & clamp issues. Does the Markins ballhead come with plates and are some of them quick release ones as well but somehow not adequate or precise enough for the job hence you replaced them with RRS clamp? I understand you buy the plate separately? You have Cannon so this clamp is right for you but it will be a different one for me? and then the matching plates for each camera I suppose? I realize I stumbled upon Cannon forum but since you have such incredible advice, maybe you have some tips for me as well :) I am new to this plate & clamp setup idea, so far I have gone with "what was there" - the easy options, but want to improve my setup... I plan to do a lot of panoramic shots as well and I am guessing I will need a panoramic clamp for that - that's another question as well. Best, Maya

You will have to buy a specific plate for every camera. The stability and solidness of an Arca-Swiss style quick release system comes from in part the perfect fit of custom designed plate for each camera body and lenses if you have them with tripod mount rings.

Try watching this video as it might clear it all up a bit: LINK (external link)

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

david ­ lacey
968 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 25, 2011 11:55 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #2058

I am just about to order this setup, GT1542T tripod, Q3T ball head, RRS B2 AS II clamp. I think it will be a nice upgrade from what I have now. The one I have now is heavier, shorter, the legs slip if I don't seriously crank down on the wing-nut type screws and the final straw was the ball head was releasing itself the other night and my camera was trying to flop over.

The 70-200 is my biggest lens with a possible 2X in the future but that would be it and not too often at that.

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 25, 2011 16:33 |  #2059

david lacey wrote in post #13597177 (external link)
I am just about to order this setup, GT1542T tripod, Q3T ball head, RRS B2 AS II clamp. I think it will be a nice upgrade from what I have now. The one I have now is heavier, shorter, the legs slip if I don't seriously crank down on the wing-nut type screws and the final straw was the ball head was releasing itself the other night and my camera was trying to flop over.

The 70-200 is my biggest lens with a possible 2X in the future but that would be it and not too often at that.

Oh yea, what you're about to order won't have any of the problems you listed that your current setup has. You'll see, once you get all the parts and have it all together, you'll wonder how you ever used anything less. Gitzo/Markins/RRS is a winning combo!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

david ­ lacey
968 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 25, 2011 21:29 |  #2060

ben_r_ wrote in post #13597881 (external link)
Oh yea, what you're about to order won't have any of the problems you listed that your current setup has. You'll see, once you get all the parts and have it all together, you'll wonder how you ever used anything less. Gitzo/Markins/RRS is a winning combo!

I am looking forward to it although I might have to wait to add the RSS, we'll see funds are tight.

sc0rp
143 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 26, 2012 03:04 as a reply to  @ david lacey's post |  #2061

I stripped my 1541T and I can't remember where this part goes:

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
http://img443.imagesha​ck.us …99/img201201261​63249l.jpg
Click here to see our image rules.

Here's all the center column peices:
x
TOO LARGE!
http://img43.imageshac​k.us …417/img20120126​163232.jpg

And the Gitzo Instructions:
IMAGE: http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/4088/4571156228c58be14243z.jpg

Can anyone help us out?

Petersman
148 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 26, 2012 03:32 as a reply to  @ sc0rp's post |  #2062

I assume it goes there -->

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sc0rp
143 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 26, 2012 04:24 |  #2063

Petersman wrote in post #13770713 (external link)
I assume it goes there -->

Yeah, that's what I thought.

But it like doesn't slide all the way down the middle shaft, so when I try and put the screw knob on it doesn't fit.

Petersman
148 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 26, 2012 08:06 |  #2064

sc0rp wrote in post #13770807 (external link)
Yeah, that's what I thought.

But it like doesn't slide all the way down the middle shaft, so when I try and put the screw knob on it doesn't fit.

There should be a notch (term?) inside the shaft, the insert needs to be aligned with that ( the long gap in the insert ) .

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 26, 2012 09:14 |  #2065

Hmmm, can't say I've ever even seen that piece before. When I get home later today I'll take mine apart and have a look. If I can figure it out I'll post a pic or two.

Evan ­ Idler
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 26, 2012 10:01 |  #2066

It's been a while since I took mine apart, but it does go in the spot where Pertersman marked.
When you tighten up the collar to lock the shaft in place, it pushes down on the sleeve and squeezes
the top part that has the extra slots in it, against the shaft to hold it in place.

--Evan

from: http://mediacdn.shopat​ron.com …T_20080104.pdf?​1271723989 (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO DISPLAY FAILED: ATTACH id 576184 does not exist. ]

Canon5DIII + Some L + Some non L + Some Sigma + Some Tamron + other stuff....
Patiently awaiting a winning Lottery Ticket to afford all the toys I would really like :-P

[Hyuni]
Goldmember
1,186 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 26, 2012 10:25 |  #2067

I'm going to sell my gitzo. It's super light and compact, but I got rid of my motorcycle (so I don't need something as light and compact) and want to free up some funds to fund another lens.

6D Rokinon 14 f/2.8 l EF 35 ƒ1.4L l EF 135 ƒ2.0L l EF 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II l YN460 l 580EX II l Flick'd (external link)

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 26, 2012 11:48 |  #2068

[Hyuni wrote:
='[Hyuni];13771956']I'​m going to sell my gitzo. It's super light and compact, but I got rid of my motorcycle (so I don't need something as light and compact) and want to free up some funds to fund another lens.

Oh man, thatll go fast believe me! Link to this review when you post it, itll help!

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 26, 2012 12:42 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #2069

sc0rp wrote in post #13770669 (external link)
I stripped my 1541T and I can't remember where this part goes:
x
TOO LARGE!
http://img443.imagesha​ck.us …99/img201201261​63249l.jpg

Here's all the center column peices:
x
TOO LARGE!
http://img43.imageshac​k.us …417/img20120126​163232.jpg

And the Gitzo Instructions:
QUOTED IMAGE

Can anyone help us out?

Gitzo 1541T Exploded Parts Diagram (external link). Looks like D106.19

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 26, 2012 12:47 |  #2070

Jon wrote in post #13772691 (external link)
Gitzo 1541T Exploded Parts Diagram (external link). Looks like D106.19

Just updated my non-working link to this document in my first post. Thanks Jon.

sponsored links

682,007 views & 1 like for this thread
Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.