Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 25 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 16:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just having some fun with myself

tewlman
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 26, 2012 10:26 |  #16

good job on the photo and I agree..nice bike.

My Gear My Flickr (external link)
some feedback
Like my photos? Then "like" my Facebook page! (external link)

sponsored links
Midlife ­ Crisis
77 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 26, 2012 11:57 as a reply to  @ post 13771603 |  #17

Great photo except you should have worn a helmet while you were bicycling. :)

30D
17-55 IS
70-200 f2.8 IS
Leica M3 :p

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,444 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Jan 26, 2012 22:12 |  #18

Michael1984 wrote in post #13771430 (external link)
how do you do this in photoshop? I have been wanting to take a bunch of pictures and make one.. anyone?

Hey Michael,
The concept is quite straight forward in any software (I use the GIMP), and is based on using layers and layer-masks.

It's kinda like the way they "used to" make cartoons for the TV/movies, but because it's difficult to photograph yourself against a perfectly clear, non-existent(!) background, we work backwards.

So the "background" would be the room which is converted into a transparent 'layer'.

You then take several photos of yourself, and "stick" these layers under the background layer.

Using the paint tool, you then "paint" yourself through the background.

You can do this as many times as you want, but big files are created if you do it all at once, and sometimes your system can crash, so beware!!!

The main key, is lighting! And this method can be used very effectively to create backgrounds for people 'who aren't actually there', thus making "location" photo shoots, at least in concept, a bit more easy to acheive without leaving your studio.

And here's a POTN thread all about that.
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=637636

There are dozens of threads about using layers, but maybe using YouTube, and typing in "using layers and masks in Photoshop" might be more visually easy to follow.

Cheers for now,
Simon

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

pprice
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 30, 2012 12:56 |  #19

whuband wrote in post #13771603 (external link)
I like the idea and the execution except for one small nit. I'd crop out the bit of fan at the top.

Good catch and you are very right, totally missed that!

1D MKIII 16-35 2.8L MKII 24-70 2.8L 70-200 2.8L [COLOR=black]IS 300 2.8L IS (few others) Bunch of AB lighting
Southern by the grace of God

pprice
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 30, 2012 13:01 |  #20

CincyTriGuy wrote in post #13771356 (external link)
Why are you using race wheels on the trainer? :)

Haha, another good catch...I had just got the computrainer and put my trek on there to set it up. At the time I did not have a trainer wheel and tire (just got one), so I just used those wheels because they were on there from my last tri.

1D MKIII 16-35 2.8L MKII 24-70 2.8L 70-200 2.8L [COLOR=black]IS 300 2.8L IS (few others) Bunch of AB lighting

pprice
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 30, 2012 13:07 |  #21

Michael1984 wrote in post #13771430 (external link)
how do you do this in photoshop? I have been wanting to take a bunch of pictures and make one.. anyone?

As was said, just using layers. This was my first try at this so I am not an expert by any strech.

I set the camera on a tripod, set my lights up, took the photos, then..

Loaded the first photo (me on the elliptical), then imported the second photo (me on the bike)..

I used the move tool and just dragged it on top of my first photo.

Then I just used the eraser tool and erased everything but me on the bike. Then there was two of me....

Then just do the same to the next.

mdd770
155 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 30, 2012 13:12 |  #22

Sounds like layers...

Canon 5d Mark II, Canon S95.
Lightroom 5, CS6, various plugins.

pprice
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 31, 2012 17:49 |  #23

mdd770 wrote in post #13795069 (external link)
Sounds like layers...

Um, read my first sentence :)....there are different ways of getting to the same point using "layers", I was just telling how I went about it.

sponsored links

11,748 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just having some fun with myself
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.