Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 24 Jan 2012 (Tuesday) 04:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bride "complains" about looking fat in the images.

this thread is locked
Brandon72
246 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 26, 2012 07:59 |  #46

umphotography wrote in post #13768463 (external link)
Found this on google images. About 2 minute job with photoshop.

make em happy and they tell everyone. Im with you cdifoto

QUOTED IMAGE

No offence, but I showed this to my sister, aunt, and mother this morning and they all agreed with me - it looks way too Photoshopped and unnatural. That's a woman with an already idealistic figure who does not need Photoshopping. I would appreciate subtle enhancements, but to make me literally look like a pencil would, personally, offend me as a client.

The first photos posted were extremely bad angles with bad lighting. The pictures posted later are much more flattering and I'm sure the bride and groom will love them. Again, some subtle enhancements would be fine, but if you think they're upset over the first images, wait until you see their reaction when the photographer treats her like a fool and makes her look like a Barbie.

The reason you all have so many brides unhappy with their looks is because of ridiculous Photoshopping like this to begin with. Learn your skill to take flattering photos SooC and only use Photoshop to *very* subtly enhance things.

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 26, 2012 08:06 |  #47

Brandon72 wrote in post #13771292 (external link)
No offence, but I showed this to my sister, aunt, and mother this morning and they all agreed with me - it looks way too Photoshopped and unnatural.

They wouldn't have said that if they never saw the before photo.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Mark_48
Goldmember
2,068 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 26, 2012 08:58 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #48

Rather than warp or liquify, I used the Free Transform tool to simply squeeze the sides of the image slightly. This can work if you have enough working room around the image to crop to a standard size after the squeeze.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Megapixels and high ISO are a digital photographers heroin. Once you have a little, you just want more and more. It doesn't stop until your bank account is run dry.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,949 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 26, 2012 10:54 |  #49

Brandon72 wrote in post #13771292 (external link)
No offence, but I showed this to my sister, aunt, and mother this morning and they all agreed with me - it looks way too Photoshopped and unnatural. That's a woman with an already idealistic figure who does not need Photoshopping. I would appreciate subtle enhancements, but to make me literally look like a pencil would, personally, offend me as a client.

The first photos posted were extremely bad angles with bad lighting. The pictures posted later are much more flattering and I'm sure the bride and groom will love them. Again, some subtle enhancements would be fine, but if you think they're upset over the first images, wait until you see their reaction when the photographer treats her like a fool and makes her look like a Barbie.

The reason you all have so many brides unhappy with their looks is because of ridiculous Photoshopping like this to begin with. Learn your skill to take flattering photos SooC and only use Photoshop to *very* subtly enhance things.

Brandon.

1. It you would have looked closer you would have seen that these are not my photos. I pulled them off Google images as an example as to what could be done

2. I agree with you about the lighting comments but will tell you after photographing 100+ weddings, its not always possible to get the very best and ideal lighting especially when your on the run.

3. I too am for subtle adjustments but will also tell you that based on my experience with photographying younger females and brides, they are extremely body conscious about their looks and the great majority appreciate this type of stuff if you can provide it for them. Something i do because i want my clients to be happy. If they think they look better enhanced, so be it. A happy customer is someone who is going to refer me to her family and friends. I always side with my customers wishes. My opinion about what is right or what is wrong means absolutly nothing when it comes to this.

4. As for ridiculous photoshopping. My opinion is thats also subjective and should be done to something that is mutually agreeable for both parties. I will tell you flat out, every magazine spread that is published, every photograph of any known celebrity and professional model is 100% retouched and enhanced in photoshop. There is no such thing as ridiculous photoshopping until they change the photo with graphic art work and even then its a matter of taste and creativity. I also think many photographer go too far in this area,,,but thats me.

5. All that being said, skin smoothing, eye enhancing, sharpening and color boosting, dodging and burning and use of the liguify tools are all common practice with portraiture. If you dont enhace, you dont compete in this Industry-----nothing is straight off the camera when delivered on a final product. The liquify tool and warp tools and the puff tools are all part of the process. let the clients make the calls and determine if it is too much.

6. NEVER let another female give you an opinion about enhancements. Only let the client you are enhancing give you the opinion. Other females opinions are based on their insecurities and they are like arm pits when it comes to photoshop enhancements. They all stink and everyone has a couple of them. Client make the call and if you as a photographer cant deliver, you will have to deal with the unhappy client. Not good for future business referrals.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 26, 2012 10:58 |  #50

I fight this tendency by doing as little as possible to my images when it comes to unnatural appearances.

They would be -less- self-conscious if we weren't all doing this sort of thing on a regular basis to sometimes extreme measures.

I want my subjects to look like i saw them, no more no less.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

mcluckie
I play with fire, run with scissors and skate on thin ice all at once!
2,065 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 26, 2012 11:57 |  #51

TweakMDS wrote in post #13758588 (external link)
To the point: I shot most of their wedding with a 5D + 24-105, 28 1.8 and 85 1.8.
Angles were mostly head on, or maybe slightly from above / below.
I know from experience that it can look better to shoot subjects with slightly rounder faces with a wider lens, and maybe a bit more angled from above, but when shooting duo portraits, there's not as much wiggleroom.

I've attached a two examples.
Do any of you have any recommendations for me on how to handle photographing people who display these features?
Or should they just accept that she looks rounder on camera?

PS. Both of these shots are still in preview stage, so don't judge me on the flare in #1 and the rough skin in #2 (if that even makes the cut), I'll be working on it :)

Prompted by, but aside from the fact that I don't understand the weird crop in the 2nd image, you didn't use the wide end of your zoom did you? 50mm and longer wouldn't cause this. Other than that, she needs how to position her head so its less of a melon. Cameras don't lie, but lenses distort and wide ones exaggerate.

You can't just squeeze a persons head in transform to make them skinnier. Photoshop at its worst. It makes them alien. especially with a pile of hair on their head. Once I liquified a girls waist to give her one, but thats as far as it goes.

multidisciplinary visual guy | traveler on the 8-fold path | seeker of the spark | walker of the dog
all dingus | dslr canon 5D4, 70-200LII zeiss distagon 15, 21, 25, 28, 50ƒ1.4 milvus; vario-sonnar N 24-85; makro planar 50, 100 mirrorless leica Q2 fujifilm XT-2, XT-20, 16, 18, 56, 16-55, 50-140; zeiss distagon 12, planar 32 film canon 1n hasselblad 501cm, 50, 80
<<all zooms for sale—zeiss, canon & fuji>>

Leftcoast_Mike
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 26, 2012 12:01 |  #52

she has a chubby face and her hairstyle and smile (grin) aren't helping it. It's not your fault she's self-concious about it.

My Facebook Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 26, 2012 14:17 |  #53

www.cdifoto.com/before​after (external link)

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

mcluckie
I play with fire, run with scissors and skate on thin ice all at once!
2,065 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 26, 2012 14:22 |  #54

You can tell just how "round" she is by the very fist image and the medicine ball she has for a head. Tell her to blame her parents, not you.

multidisciplinary visual guy | traveler on the 8-fold path | seeker of the spark | walker of the dog
all dingus | dslr canon 5D4, 70-200LII zeiss distagon 15, 21, 25, 28, 50ƒ1.4 milvus; vario-sonnar N 24-85; makro planar 50, 100 mirrorless leica Q2 fujifilm XT-2, XT-20, 16, 18, 56, 16-55, 50-140; zeiss distagon 12, planar 32 film canon 1n hasselblad 501cm, 50, 80
<<all zooms for sale—zeiss, canon & fuji>>

bfleck51
400 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 26, 2012 14:27 |  #55

What you see is what you get...tell her to back away from the fridge!

http://www.rivervalley​poodles.com/ (external link)
5D/7D/MKlll/D200

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,255 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 26, 2012 14:37 |  #56

Ease up on the cheap shots guys.

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 26, 2012 17:54 |  #57

Gameface wrote in post #13760860 (external link)
And she isn't thin either.

Just detached from reality.

It's difficult too because you don't know how she sees herself.

Don't offer to make her slimmer in photoshop, it's not something you should do. A certain number of people have issues with their body, no matter what people tell them.

Chris Giles Photography

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 26, 2012 18:03 |  #58

Fixed

IMAGE: http://www.booheads.co.uk/twitter/comp.jpg

There are ways around this though, find people that are bigger and put her amongst them for the photos.

Chris Giles Photography

highway0691
672 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 26, 2012 18:19 |  #59

umphotography wrote in post #13768463 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

I'm not really sure which one is the "photoshopped improved" photo.

Whilst it is our responsibility to make our subjects look at their best on the day we are in the first instance photographers not plastic surgeons.

I find all this talk from "on high" critcizing peoples body and making suggestions about how people should look just a bit annoying to be frank.

BTW, my wife and daughter look absolutely fine to me but more importantly they feel the same way too.

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept. Ansell Adams

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 26, 2012 18:37 |  #60

I'd like to thank those of you who actually made constructive suggestions as to what the photographer might so both in setting up the shot and in processing it after the fact. Those will help both OP and others of us who may be faced with similar challenges in the future. For those of you who couldn't think of anything more productive than to rag on OP and his subject, Get A Life. As a commercial photographer, it's your job to make your subject happy. If you want to make people look their worst, enjoy your career with People of WalMart (external link) or the National Enquirer (external link), where making people look bad is part of the job. And it's those latter types who got this thread locked.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links

8,452 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bride "complains" about looking fat in the images.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.