Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 26 Jan 2012 (Thursday) 00:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is Amazon getting out of selling Canon L Lenses??

dgsphoto
421 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 26, 2012 00:02 |  #1

None of the usual L lenses seem to be available. A couple of super teles, but that's it.

Are they getting out of selling Canon lenses?

sponsored links
Bokehlicious
809 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 26, 2012 00:55 |  #2

No.

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 26, 2012 00:58 |  #3

They been low on stock for a month even crappy lenses been going in and out of stock.

Overread
Goldmember
2,218 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 26, 2012 01:07 |  #4

Might just be a slow time before they restock - also often Amazon is supplied via a major retailer so it could just be that the retailer hasn't sent a shipment to Amazon. It will often run low on stock and then build it up again.

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 26, 2012 01:50 |  #5

I doubt it. Just people have been buying them up through the holidays and stock hasnt caught back up.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Kirill
728 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 26, 2012 06:43 |  #6

people may be abusing their return policy to get "sharp" copy or borrow lens for an event - their computer system may see that they may lose money on this product category and try decided not to keep much stock.

dgsphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 26, 2012 12:52 |  #7

Kirill wrote in post #13771088 (external link)
people may be abusing their return policy to get "sharp" copy or borrow lens for an event - their computer system may see that they may lose money on this product category and try decided not to keep much stock.

That's what I am thinking.

It seems that this time around, the lack of inventory has been for a relatively extended period which puzzles me. They usually restock in about 2 to 3 weeks which does not seem to be the case this time. I haven't seen much after they did the fire-sale on Canon lenses about a month or so back. Maybe the fire sale was to quickly move out the inventory altogether so that they can get out and use the space for something else??

I can understand an extended lack of inventory on a specific product, but this time around it's across the board.

vrjosh
260 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 26, 2012 12:53 |  #8

Kirill wrote in post #13771088 (external link)

BINGO. Look how they no longer carry the Sigma 30.

bobble.smugmug.com (external link)

dgsphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 26, 2012 12:56 |  #9

It's probably not Amazon that's getting out voluntarily, it's probably the distributor pushing them.

The (speculated) high rate of return might have prompted the distributor to ask Amazon to change it's return policies around lenses. Amazon might have turned it down and the distributor would then have either pushed Amazon into an increased pricing tier (which affects profitability for Amazon pushing them into getting out of stocking and selling these) or just refused to do business with them.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 26, 2012 13:07 |  #10

I hope not. Worth keeping an eye on this...

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 26, 2012 13:32 |  #11

I bought my 70-200 2.8 IS II from Amazon and it was very nice to work with them. They must have sold a lot of lenses due to the no-tax and free shipping policies.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

nikhilnh
426 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 26, 2012 16:28 |  #12

The 135mm f2 L lens just came back in stock. It was out of stock it for quite a few days.

FLICKR [  (external link)Feedback]

dgsphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 26, 2012 18:40 |  #13

It's good that the 135L is back. Hopefully the others show up soon as well without any price increases (out of the norm Amazon pricing)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 26, 2012 18:41 |  #14

You might find the occasional availability issue as the clock ticks down toward the London Olympics.

CPS has a boatload of gear they'll need for that gig.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Overread
Goldmember
2,218 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 26, 2012 18:45 |  #15

Asides which they probably don't put a big amount of pressure restocking high value items just after christmas - most people being burned out there most likely isn't the same demand at this time of year for the high price L gear.

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,793 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is Amazon getting out of selling Canon L Lenses??
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.