Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 25, 2012 19:25 |  #4306

That is roughly what i charge

Tanya De Leeuw wrote in post #13767335 (external link)
There are lots of ways to charge for travel ... depends what you're comfortable with ...

You could charge $2 per km to cover gas, insurance, wear-and-tear, etc ...

And/or $20 per hour on the road for your time (time that you could have spent on other shoots) ...

Canon 5D MkIII powered through the following Canon lenses: 16-35 f2.8 L MkII, 24-70 f2.8 L MkII, 70-200 f2.8 L MkII, 17mm TS-E f4 L, 24mm TS-E f2.8 L MkII and 85mm f1.2 L MkII.
Feedback

sponsored links
ieatstars
Goldmember
3,283 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 26, 2012 01:20 |  #4307

Does a shot from the interior of architecture outside count? :D

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7011/6764324931_46827d3444_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ieatstars/67643​24931/  (external link)
Challenge (external link) by i eaт sтars (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)
Be my fan on F a c e b o o k! (external link) :D

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 27, 2012 09:39 |  #4308

Hey guys and gals, I need your advice.

I took these two photos yesterday of a house I did for a R/E agent. He said he was really happy with the outcome...but I had an issue with these 2 images.

For some reason, every time I do a kitchen, I always get 2 different tones for the cabinets in separate images as shown below. I think it has something to do with the extra window over the sink but I have no clue how to correct that.

I've also just noticed that the photos hosted on Photobucket are darker than the originals...don't understand that either. What do you suggest I use to host images for these forums?

PS: My screen is calibrated and the original images don't look anything like the ones hosted by photobucket

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1133.photobuck​et.com …ed%20edits/A11C​2998EF.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1133.photobuck​et.com …ed%20edits/A11C​2991EF.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Canon 5D MkIII powered through the following Canon lenses: 16-35 f2.8 L MkII, 24-70 f2.8 L MkII, 70-200 f2.8 L MkII, 17mm TS-E f4 L, 24mm TS-E f2.8 L MkII and 85mm f1.2 L MkII.
Feedback

Pingman
417 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 27, 2012 10:12 |  #4309

^^^ I use a Xrite Colorchecker Passport when I shoot and profile the shot in LR. I also do a white balance custom shot and set the camera to it right before the shoot. That gives me consistant color. That may not help with the online hosts, but it gives me a start.

(Gear & Feedback)

TheReal7
Goldmember
3,574 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 27, 2012 10:24 |  #4310

Joe, how are you shooting and processing your shots. Using strobes?

I shoot HDR + a flashed exposure. I merge HDR with Photomatix using a preset and batch process all my HDRs. Then I open the merged HDR in photoshop and bring in the flashed exposure on a new layer. Then I dup the layer so I have 2 flashed layers. I set the first layer mode to color and the second I adjust the opacity to around 25% . This resolves all my color issues and gives me consistent color from image to image.

Follow me on Facebook: Natural Light Magic (external link)
Listen to my music: Fata Morgana (external link)

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 27, 2012 10:28 |  #4311

Pingman wrote in post #13777998 (external link)
^^^ I use a Xrite Colorchecker Passport when I shoot and profile the shot in LR. I also do a white balance custom shot and set the camera to it right before the shoot. That gives me consistant color. That may not help with the online hosts, but it gives me a start.

I'll have a look at Colorchecker

TheReal7 wrote in post #13778080 (external link)

I shoot HDR + a flashed exposure. I merge HDR with Photomatix using a preset and batch process all my HDRs. Then I open the merged HDR in photoshop and bring in the flashed exposure on a new layer. Then I dup the layer so I have 2 flashed layers. I set the first layer mode to color and the second I adjust the opacity to around 25% . This resolves all my color issues and gives me consistent color from image to image.

I only do HDR. I've never used flashes for R/E shoots. I will read up on that and try it next time. Thank you for the suggestion.

Feedback

TheReal7
Goldmember
3,574 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 27, 2012 10:31 |  #4312

I had the same color shifting issues with only shooting HDR before added a flashed exposure. I use a 580EXII mounted on camera and hold up an umbrella to shoot through. Its fairly quick and easy.

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 27, 2012 10:40 |  #4313

I also have a 580EXII. I'll bring it along for my next shoot. I'll mount my Garry Fong diffuser on it since I don't have an umbrella.

TheReal7 wrote in post #13778112 (external link)
I had the same color shifting issues with only shooting HDR before added a flashed exposure. I use a 580EXII mounted on camera and hold up an umbrella to shoot through. Its fairly quick and easy.

Feedback

GadgetRick
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 27, 2012 10:43 |  #4314

TheReal7 wrote in post #13778080 (external link)

Been meaning to try this. Why the 2 layers? Can't you just have 1 layer at 25%?

Also, how do you mount your flash? On or off-camera? What power? Do you bounce?

I was thinking of mounting off-camera on a stand with a small softbox at a low power.

Pingman
417 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 27, 2012 10:50 |  #4315

Joe.Recon wrote in post #13778173 (external link)
I also have a 580EXII. I'll bring it along for my next shoot. I'll mount my Garry Fong diffuser on it since I don't have an umbrella.

I like those Garry Fong's, they work pretty good for me. I tried umbrellas before, I did not like the outcome for a large area. Many guys just bounce their flashes off the ceiling.

(Gear & Feedback)

TheReal7
Goldmember
3,574 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 27, 2012 11:18 |  #4316

GadgetRick wrote in post #13778187 (external link)
Been meaning to try this. Why the 2 layers? Can't you just have 1 layer at 25%?

Also, how do you mount your flash? On or off-camera? What power? Do you bounce?

I was thinking of mounting off-camera on a stand with a small softbox at a low power.

The layer set to color is a major part of color correcting. Just blending one exposure normally at %25 will correct a bit of the color but I find the extra layer solves all my color issues and gets me consistent color from image to image.

Here is a recent shoot and you'll notice the colors are very consistent from angle to angle.

http://www.mylistingph​otos.ca …grunthal&catid=​1:listings (external link)

I mount on camera and hand hold my umbrella. Again, this is quick and easy but not as flexible as using a stand. With stands you'll be taking more time shooting. If that is not an issue then give it a try.

I use my flash in ETTL mode and usually +1/3 or +2/3 FE for most rooms and -1/3 or -2/3 FE for small rooms like bathrooms with a lot of white in them.

Pingman wrote in post #13778231 (external link)
I like those Garry Fong's, they work pretty good for me. I tried umbrellas before, I did not like the outcome for a large area. Many guys just bounce their flashes off the ceiling.

Oddly, I stopped using my GF diffuser and it sits at home. Haven't used it since I started using and umbrella.

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 27, 2012 11:57 |  #4317

+1...time to use flash

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

GadgetRick
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 27, 2012 16:35 |  #4318

TheReal7 wrote in post #13778416 (external link)
The layer set to color is a major part of color correcting. Just blending one exposure normally at %25 will correct a bit of the color but I find the extra layer solves all my color issues and gets me consistent color from image to image.

Here is a recent shoot and you'll notice the colors are very consistent from angle to angle.

http://www.mylistingph​otos.ca …grunthal&catid=​1:listings (external link)

I mount on camera and hand hold my umbrella. Again, this is quick and easy but not as flexible as using a stand. With stands you'll be taking more time shooting. If that is not an issue then give it a try.

I use my flash in ETTL mode and usually +1/3 or +2/3 FE for most rooms and -1/3 or -2/3 FE for small rooms like bathrooms with a lot of white in them.

Hmm interesting. So you just copy the layer and make one 25%? I'll have to give that a shot (pun intended).

Thanks for the tips.

annietex
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 27, 2012 16:41 |  #4319

mtimber wrote in post #13761050 (external link)
Have a look at how I use smugmug folks. (follow the link to my webby).

It is still Work In Progress, but it really does nearly everything I need.

Interested to know how you set this up. I have a smugmug acct, but just the power (not pro). I'm just getting started and would like to keep my costs down if possible.

Ann
Gear List

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 27, 2012 17:39 |  #4320

Joe.Recon wrote in post #13777821 (external link)
Hey guys and gals, I need your advice.

I took these two photos yesterday of a house I did for a R/E agent. He said he was really happy with the outcome...but I had an issue with these 2 images.

For some reason, every time I do a kitchen, I always get 2 different tones for the cabinets in separate images as shown below. I think it has something to do with the extra window over the sink but I have no clue how to correct that.

I've also just noticed that the photos hosted on Photobucket are darker than the originals...don't understand that either. What do you suggest I use to host images for these forums?

PS: My screen is calibrated and the original images don't look anything like the ones hosted by photobucket

Joe, that is quite strange. I don't think that has every happened to me like this. I typically shoot my AEB set without a flash. If I'm having a WB issue, I will take a flash frame to blend in later. I use a similar method as Scott does to blend it in.

Do you by chance have a photo with both sides of the cabinets in the same photo?

Also, which one is correct?

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

sponsored links

2,060,944 views & 1,711 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.