Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 27 Jan 2012 (Friday) 13:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Repair Feedback

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 27, 2012 13:52 |  #1

I thought it could be a nice reference to post any repairs you have recently had done with Canon... What needed done, which service center, turnaround time, your satisfaction with the repair, costs, etc...

Ill start, but just keep the general format going!

---------------

Item: 135L and 24-105L

Reason: CPS Check/Clean Certificates, plus lens creep on 24-105L.

Service Center: NJ

Length of Repair: Shipped to them Monday, received 135L back Thursday and 24-105L back today. Same week turnaround.

Cost: Free - Check & Clean

Results: Both came back extremely well packaged, with each lens sealed nicely in plastic. Both lenses clean as a whistle, 24-105L zoom ring tightened free of charge, no creep anymore. Extremely happy (again), with Canon NJ.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Grimes
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 28, 2012 08:59 |  #2

Item: 5D Bodies (two separate ones)

Reason: Mirror Reinforcement

Length of Repair: Turnaround time was one week for each of them.

Cost: Free - Preventative fix, and Cleaning

Results: Both cameras were returned spotless, and working well.

Alex
5DMKII | 85 f/1.8 | 17-40L f/4 | 24-105 f/4 IS | 40 f/2.8

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 28, 2012 09:26 as a reply to  @ Grimes's post |  #3

Same camera (1Ds 3), same problem...dirty sensor with shredding of mirror "bumper". CA wanted to replace entire mirror box to the tune of about $800, had them send it back...NJ replaced a couple of shims for $250.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

pcj
Goldmember
1,037 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 28, 2012 17:43 |  #4

Dropped my 7d and it was writing corrupt files. Sent to nj, got back within 2 weeks with a new front case, some new circuitry and has been trouble free.

Also had to contact nj when I broke the hotshoe of my 580exii - the replacement part was on back order and not due in for a couple of weeks. Not sure if they found one, or what, but it showed up 2 days later.

7D (gripped) | GoPro Hero HD | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | 40mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 28mm f/1.8 | 3 * 600EX-RT - All gear
http://www.rt2photo.co​m (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/rt2photo (external link)

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,702 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 29, 2012 00:10 |  #5

Item: 50mm f=1.4

Reason: Occasionally fails to autofocus, CPS Check/Clean Certificate

Service Center: Virginia

Length of Repair: Dropped off Tuesday afternoon around 3PM, picked up Wednesday around 1:30

Cost: Free - Check & Clean

Results: Focuses just fine again. Very friendly, personal service from everyone including security cops at the gate.

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 29, 2012 01:30 |  #6

Item: 500 f/4 IS

Reason: Tripod collar sticking

Cost $260

Length of Repair: 3 days from the time received at NJ to be returned ** (CPS Member)

Results: Repair said "replace tripod collar", but........it had to be sent back a second time 2 months later for the same problem, covered completely including shipping both ways by Canon. So far it has been fine.

---------------

Item: 70-200 f/2.8L (non-IS)

Reason: Intermittent Aperture errors, always several stops under-exposing

Length of Repair: returned 2 days from time received at NJ ** (CPS Member)

Cost: $120

Results: Replaced a circuit board and the lens mount, cleaned, checked, calibrated, etc. Problem solved.

---------------

Item: EOS 1D MkIII Body

Reason: Purchased as a "refurb" from a NY camera store. It apparently was really one they had sold and been returned because it was within the "bad" range of serial numbers for the dreaded AF problem. It did have some serious AF problems.

Length of Repair: returned 3 days from time of receipt in NJ ** (CPS Member)

Cost: Free, covered under Warranty.

Results: Replaced entire mirror box assembly, did the usual check and calibrate routine. And this camera has performed flawlessly ever since then.

---------------

Item: 24-70 f/2.8 (The Brick)

Reason: Dropped the lens straight down on its front with lens cap and a uv filter attached. Fell about 2 feet onto carpet. Everything worked fine until I tried to manual focus the lens and discovered the manual focus did not work.

Length of Repair: Returned 4 days after receipt in NJ ** (CPS Member)

Cost: $92

Results: Replaced the AF servo board and motor in the lens, clean/check/calibrate. All better.

---------------

** I have listed only repair times from the time NJ received the items. I am 3 days from NJ by either UPS or FedEx Ground shipping, so total time for any of the listed repairs would be +3 days for my shipping to them.

One thing I have noticed about Canon's repair system: The online tracking is horrible. It is always days behind reality. Every time I have sent something in for repair, my first indication that it was done and being shipped back was a phone call from FedEx notifying me that a signature required delivery was scheduled for the next day. Meanwhile, Canon's online tracking still showed the repair as being "in progress"

Emergency ­ Exit
223 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 29, 2012 04:29 |  #7

About an year ago...

Item: EOS 400D Body

Reason: Ants infested my camera bag one day. Turned out that they were trying to build a nest inside the 400D body. I got a number cleaned out but they were occupying the pop-up flash unit. Zapped myself 2 times trying to access the unit. (Not a good idea - the electric shock is very powerful!)

Service Center: Bandung, Indonesia

Length of Repair: My dad took it to Bandung Monday when he went on a conference there. It was repaired in a day and my dad brought it back the next Monday.

Cost: Around $20-30?

Results: Camera was completely cleaned, except for the flash unit where minor body parts could still be found.

Emergency Exit Pictures (external link)
EOS 60D Gripped | EF 70-200 f/4L IS USM | EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS | Speedlite 430EX II
Full Goodies List

MrWho
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 30, 2012 14:00 |  #8

Item: 18-55IS

Reason: Image stabilization making the lens unable to properly focus.

Service Center: Newport News, VA

Length of Repair: 3.5 weeks (cumulative)

Cost: Free

Results: Technician failed to read/acknowledge technical report during first repair. Customer service representative checked what I had written versus what was in the system, acknowledged the technician's error and re-entered the information. Second repair was successful. The lens came back working as intended, but still feels "off" and noticeably different than when it was new. No complaints about customer service, technicians are a different story though.
---------------

I realize it's the one level above the cheapest lens they sell, but I have a background in a field where technical reports have to be pretty detailed when a part failed or the machine was operating incorrectly and the report sent into Canon painted a precise picture of what was happening. The rep also couldn't understand why the focus was checked and lens sent back when the IS was mentioned 4 times in the report and singled out as the cause of the focusing issues. After the lens came back, I was strongly considering sending it back in and demanding a new one because it would've been sent back a third time, but the lens had been repaired to "working as intended" status even though I have 0 confidence that it will perform as it did prior to the repairs. It makes me feel a little uneasy needing to send in anything more expensive.

Gear

DL.Photography
Goldmember
1,456 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 26, 2012 21:25 |  #9

Item: Canon EF 50 f/1.2L

Reason: my 50L needed -11 MA and would miss occasionally.

Service Center: Jamesburg, NJ

Length of Repair: Shipped to them on 4/19 and was sent back to me on 4/25. Pretty fast considering I wasn't a CPS member. (I am now though :cool:)

Cost: Free - In warranty

Results: Canon adjusted back focus/front focus and adjusted to factory specs. It now requires a very minimal -3 MA and I am thrilled!:D It came back EXTREMELY well packaged including all the contents that I sent with the lens. Kudos to Jamesburg Canon!

- Dan
Gear List & Feedback

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 28, 2012 07:47 as a reply to  @ DL.Photography's post |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Item: Canon G12

Reason: Aperture was closed completely. Shutter would fire, image was black.

Service Center: Irvine, CA

Length of Repair: Dropped it off at their service center, back in my hands five days later.

Cost: Free - camera was out of warranty, but they fixed it as if it was still covered.

Results: The aperture issue was repaired, but the front dial was completely non-functional when the camera was returned to me. Dropped it off, again, on my way to a business conference. Camera was repaired inside of ten minutes. Tech forgot to reconnect something internally.

Works like a champ now...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

socalrailfan
Goldmember
1,475 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 07, 2012 17:44 |  #11

I sent my Canon 10-22mm lens in last Saturday. It got knocked over and came loose under the focus ring and won't focus. They received it last Monday morning and as of today I have not heard any word from them and the repair status is still where it was last Monday. Getting a bit frustrated!

Dave - Riverside, CA PhotographersNature.co​m (external link)
Canon 60D & 40D. Canon 24-105 L, 10-22, 100mmL 50mm 1.4 and 70-300 L lenses.
My photos on Flickr (external link), my Google Earth/Panoramio photos (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,527 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Jan 2004

May 07, 2012 20:29 |  #12

socalrailfan wrote in post #14395166 (external link)
Getting a bit frustrated!

what did they say when you called them?

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

socalrailfan
Goldmember
1,475 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 07, 2012 20:52 |  #13

I haven't called them yet, I'm trying to show some patience. If they fix it for $100 and clean the glass I'll be more than happy. If they lost it, I'll enjoy a new one even more! LOL

Dave - Riverside, CA PhotographersNature.co​m (external link)
Canon 60D & 40D. Canon 24-105 L, 10-22, 100mmL 50mm 1.4 and 70-300 L lenses.
My photos on Flickr (external link), my Google Earth/Panoramio photos (external link)

iisrandy
74 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 07, 2012 23:45 |  #14

socalrailfan wrote in post #14395166 (external link)
I sent my Canon 10-22mm lens in last Saturday. It got knocked over and came loose under the focus ring and won't focus. They received it last Monday morning and as of today I have not heard any word from them and the repair status is still where it was last Monday. Getting a bit frustrated!

When i dropped off my 17-85 i didn't hear a word about it tell it was done. The repair status stayed the same the whole time. I randomly received the call stating it was done. Who knows maybe it will just show up at your door.

Item: 17-85

Reason: Error 01 Code. The receipt said they replaced the Auto focus?

Service Center: Irvine, CA

Length of Repair: Dropped off Monday, Done Thursday and picked up Friday

Cost: 85 Dollars for repair

Results: Lens was sealed in plastic, very clean. Worked as it did before it broke. Satisfied.

Gripped T1i//Blackrapid Strap//Slik Pro 500DX//200EG//Canon 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II//Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS//Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
Flickr (external link)//500px. (external link)

bratkinson
643 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 10, 2012 01:22 |  #15

Item: Canon 580 EX II Flash

Problem: Dropped to carpet-tiled floor. Plastic flip-down diffuser panel broken. Flash continued to work OK.

Set up online to send to Canon in NJ. Web site a bit 'confused' as it kept bringing me back to the 'start' of select equipment...etc. It never did let me print the shipping label. Printed out the paperwork and created mailing label using USPS web site.

Got email from Canon 2 days later, paid online. $149 'basic charge' plus 9 for shipping.

Recieved repaired flash 3 work days later (spanned a weekend).

Flash works perfectly. According to the paperwork, they also thoroughly checked all functions. Flip out diffuser seems more 'stiff' to operate than original.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." General George S Patton, Jr 1885-1945

sponsored links

13,697 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Repair Feedback
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.