Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

TheReal7
Goldmember
3,574 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 27, 2012 23:01 |  #4321

The color shifts happen because HDR programs don't process images based on a definitive reference but rather based on the readings of the the batch of images. Since the data from batch to batch will always be different you get varied results. The more you push the HDR program the great the variations. How you shoot plays a big part too. I've shot countless HDRs, not only real estate, that my shooting is very consistent and helps reduce the amount of variation from HDR to HDR. This allows me to batch process and use many presets to drastically reduce image processing time.

If you get consistent you can make many types of action scripts in photoshop. For instance, the HDR + Flash and dup flash layer technique is one click for me once I have the HDR and flash exposure opened in PS. Then a few tweaks and save.

The power of action scripts and presets are unlimited. Don't over look them!

Follow me on Facebook: Natural Light Magic (external link)
Listen to my music: Fata Morgana (external link)

sponsored links
mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 28, 2012 00:29 |  #4322

Here's something fun and different that I shot today.

Commercial shot for the Julia Dean Photo Workshops. This is the studio in the middle of the building where they teach studio lighting workshops. I shot the whole thing but this is my favorite shot from it.

Six Dynalite heads triggered via Pocketwizard. Two bounced behind me off 10-foot bounce cards, four acting as pseudo-studio lights for the pretend teaching/modeling sessions we had going on.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Julia Dean Photo Workshops (external link) by mike kelley / mpkelley.com (external link), on Flickr

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

annietex
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 28, 2012 08:54 as a reply to  @ mikekelley's post |  #4323

That's cool Mike. Love the dog!

Ann
Gear List

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 28, 2012 13:38 |  #4324

TheReal7 wrote in post #13781623 (external link)
The color shifts happen because HDR programs don't process images based on a definitive reference but rather based on the readings of the the batch of images. Since the data from batch to batch will always be different you get varied results. The more you push the HDR program the great the variations. How you shoot plays a big part too. I've shot countless HDRs, not only real estate, that my shooting is very consistent and helps reduce the amount of variation from HDR to HDR. This allows me to batch process and use many presets to drastically reduce image processing time.

If you get consistent you can make many types of action scripts in photoshop. For instance, the HDR + Flash and dup flash layer technique is one click for me once I have the HDR and flash exposure opened in PS. Then a few tweaks and save.

The power of action scripts and presets are unlimited. Don't over look them!

Action scripts keep me sane!!!

Until I learned how to create and use them I spend so much time in PS. Now, I can open dozens of photos from the day, and do a batch process that applies my standard edits, saves, and closes each one. I open the batch, click the Action, then work on something else. It makes life so much easier.

Just like Scott, I have different Actions for different things. I have one for interior shots, one for exterior shots, one for this and one for that. It really saves time once you get a consistent workflow in place.

Also, just like Scott, I have found that when I shoot my HDR in a consistent manner I get consistent results. I do not vary from my method very much. The results allow me to spend less time 'fixing' things.

The more you shoot HDR the more you will realize what the results will be before you even push the shutter button based on what you are shooting, the light, the DR, etc. It takes time to get there but it will happen with enough practice.

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 29, 2012 02:57 |  #4325

Question:

What are the best settings for architectural photography on the 5D MkII ?

Canon 5D MkIII powered through the following Canon lenses: 16-35 f2.8 L MkII, 24-70 f2.8 L MkII, 70-200 f2.8 L MkII, 17mm TS-E f4 L, 24mm TS-E f2.8 L MkII and 85mm f1.2 L MkII.
Feedback

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 29, 2012 04:05 |  #4326

I use the green box.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 29, 2012 04:54 |  #4327

mikekelley wrote in post #13787133 (external link)
I use the green box.

...you're kidding me right ?

I was asking about custom functions (C.Fn)

Canon 5D MkIII powered through the following Canon lenses: 16-35 f2.8 L MkII, 24-70 f2.8 L MkII, 70-200 f2.8 L MkII, 17mm TS-E f4 L, 24mm TS-E f2.8 L MkII and 85mm f1.2 L MkII.
Feedback

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 29, 2012 09:31 |  #4328

annietex wrote in post #13779955 (external link)
Interested to know how you set this up. I have a smugmug acct, but just the power (not pro). I'm just getting started and would like to keep my costs down if possible.

You have to get into the customisation side, spend some time on the dgrinn forums and you will quickly learn. :-)

"Lovely photo, you must have a really good camera"

Nismode
Goldmember
1,823 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 29, 2012 09:33 |  #4329

Joe.Recon wrote in post #13787232 (external link)
...you're kidding me right ?

I was asking about custom functions (C.Fn)

What C. Fn do you need to mess with?

flickr (external link)|ModelMayhem (external link)|Instagram (external link)
EOS R (x2)|EOS RP|Mavic Air|Mavic 2 Zoom
Σ12-24mm II|Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8|40mm f/2.8 STM|50mm f/1.8 STM
100mm f/2.8L IS Macro|Σ150mm f/2.8 Macro OS
Godox AD600|Godox AD-200 (x2)|V860 II (x2)|V350c

gnwatts
266 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 29, 2012 09:41 |  #4330

bamatt wrote in post #13787716 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Good 1st effort. They seem a little overexposed on my monitor. You can bring in some light to help even out the florescent fixtures and sconces (others on this site know much more about that than I), or you can just turn the lights off 3/4 of the way through your exposure. That usually works for me. Maybe a little more contrast, and some black point adjustment will make these pop more.

Greg
5DII * 17mm TS-E * 24mm TS-Ell * 17-40mmL * Zeiss 35-70mm * Zeiss 80-200mm
http://gnwatts.photosh​elter.com (external link)

annietex
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 29, 2012 09:44 |  #4331

mtimber wrote in post #13787926 (external link)
You have to get into the customisation side, spend some time on the dgrinn forums and you will quickly learn. :-)

Thanks for the reply...no off to learn :D

Ann
Gear List

bamatt
440 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 29, 2012 10:00 |  #4332

gnwatts wrote in post #13787982 (external link)
Good 1st effort. They seem a little overexposed on my monitor. You can bring in some light to help even out the florescent fixtures and sconces (others on this site know much more about that than I), or you can just turn the lights off 3/4 of the way through your exposure. That usually works for me. Maybe a little more contrast, and some black point adjustment will make these pop more.

Thanks! I actually already desaturated them and re-cropped them as I had too much ceiling.

What is black point adjustment? :confused:

Here is the link to the updated versions

http://www.flickr.com …157629083329793​/lightbox/ (external link)

60D / 10-22 / 24L II / 70-200 2.8L II

gnwatts
266 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 29, 2012 10:21 |  #4333

bamatt wrote in post #13788110 (external link)
What is black point adjustment? :confused:

In Aperture it is an adjustment that modifies the black pixels. It can make the image really read well.
Greg

Greg

gnwatts
266 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 29, 2012 10:22 |  #4334

bamatt wrote in post #13788110 (external link)
Here is the link to the updated versions

http://www.flickr.com …157629083329793​/lightbox/ (external link)

These look much better on my monitor.
Greg

Greg

takurpic
25 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jan 29, 2012 13:12 as a reply to  @ gnwatts's post |  #4335

Hello Everyone!

I'm a little late to the thread, but I've been around for a while. I'm a photographer based in SW Kansas. To stay busy out here, I shoot a little bit of everything.

I heard about Mike Kelly on Strobist, then stumbled across his posts here. Mike inspired me to do composite lighting. Previously, I only used available light + HDR. I'm still looking for the right 'marketable' blend of the two for my area.

Last week, I challenged myself to shoot something BIG and light it...

IMAGE: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-S8qG-d3PGSY/Txq76Gw2AtI/AAAAAAAAAG0/2W0ZN3-tCSI/s1600/Before-Text.jpg

IMAGE: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-iA2f0UE66eM/TxpLVFJyvfI/AAAAAAAAAGo/baIZaB1MeYk/s1600/Architectural-Photography.jpg

The tops of the silos have some WA distortion, but there's a highway a little further back so moving back isn't really option.

I'm looking forward to learning and sharing!

Always Learning! ;)

sponsored links

2,065,468 views & 1,711 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.