Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 10 Dec 2009 (Thursday) 11:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Model Release by Email

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,282 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Dec 12, 2009 15:07 as a reply to  @ post 9183419 |  #16

I don't know where you are getting this information... But really am trying to understand. Can you please provide some references? At least show us a sample release? Are you sure we aren't just disagreeing about semantics? (My own release says "Permission to photograph" in big letters at the top and references "agreement" more often than "contract", just to be as friendly, unintimidating and easily understood as possible.)

Samples? Your wish is, in this case, my command:

University of Nevada, Reno
http://www.unr.edu …cuments/model-release.pdf (external link)

I hereby grant the University of Nevada, Reno permission to interview me and/or to use my likeness in photograph(s)/video in any and all of its publications and in any and all other media, current and future, controlled by the University, in perpetuity, and for other use by the University. I will make no monetary or other claim against the University of Nevada, Reno for the use of the interview and/or the photograph(s)/video.

Rutgers University
http://ur.rutgers.edu …vices/modelrele​ases.shtml (external link)

I , _______________ , give Rutgers permission to record my image and/or voice and grant Rutgers all rights to use these recordings or photographs in any medium for educational, promotional, advertising, or other purposes that support the mission of the university.

Indiana University
http://www.iuk.edu/~ko​ocm/pdf/PhotoRelease.p​df (external link)

I hereby consent to being photographed by agents, employees, or representatives of
Indiana University and to the use of the photograph(s) in all forms and media for
advertising, publicity, and other promotional purposes by Indiana University. I consent to
the use of my name and professional title, and the name of my employer and/or
degree/program. I waive any right to inspect or approve the finished product, including
written copy, wherein my photograph(s) appears, and waive all claims for compensation
for such use or for damages.

Santa Clara University
http://www.scu.edu …versity_Model_R​elease.pdf (external link)

Thank you for helping us document life here at Santa Clara!
By signing this form, I understand and agree that any photographs taken of me on this date may be
used by Santa Clara University for purposes of institutional promotion.
Santa Clara University may use these photographs in various ways, including brochures, magazines
and advertisements. They may also be used on the World Wide Web or be given to other media
outlets that are doing stories about us.
These photographs will also become part of Santa Clara University’s archives, and may be used in
the future for historical purposes.

San Diego State University
http://bfa.sdsu.edu/ed​itorial/model%20releas​e.pdf (external link)

I grant permission to San Diego State University, its employees and agents, to take and
use visual/audio images of me. Visual/audio images are any type of recording,
including photographs, digital images, drawings, renderings, voices, sounds, video
recordings, audio clips or accompanying written descriptions. San Diego State
University will not materially alter the original images. I agree that San Diego State
University owns the images and all rights related to them. The images may be used in
any manner or media without notifying me, such as university-sponsored web sites,
publications, promotions, broadcasts, advertisements, posters and theater slides, as well
as for non-university uses. I waive any right to inspect or approve the finished images
or any printed or electronic matter that may be used with them.
I release San Diego State University and its employees and agents, including any firm
authorized to publish and/or distribute a finished product containing the images, from
any claims, damages or liability which I may ever have in connection with the taking of
use of the images or printed material used with the images.
I am at least 18 years of age and competent to sign this release. I have read this release
before signing, I understand its contents, and I freely accept the terms.

Arizona State University
http://commguide.asu.e​du …/u1/ASU-model-release.pdf (external link)

I grant permission to the Arizona Board of Regents, on behalf of Arizona State University and its agents or employees, to copyright and publish all or any part of photographs and/or motion pictures and/or voice recordings and/or written/spoken statements taken of me on the date and at the location listed below for use in university publications, including printed, moving, audio and electronic, all exhibitions, public displays, publications, commercial art, and advertising purposes in any media without limitation or reservation.
I hereby waive any right to inspect or approve the finished photographs/motion pictures/voice recordings/ written/spoken statements or printed or electronic matter that may be used in conjunction with them now or in the future, whether that use is known to me or unknown, and I waive any right to royalties or other compensation arising from or related to the use of the photographs/motion pictures/voice recordings/ written/spoken statements.
I hereby agree to release, defend, and hold harmless the Arizona Board of Regents, on behalf of Arizona State University and its agents or employees, including any firm publishing and/or distributing the finished product in whole or in part, whether on paper, in motion pictures, or via electronic media, from and against any claims, damages or liability arising from or related to the use of the photographs/motion pictures/voice recordings/written/ spoken statements, including but not limited to any misuse, distortion, blurring, alteration, optical illusion or use in composite form, either intentionally or otherwise, that may occur or be produced in taking, processing, reduction or production of the finished product, its publication or distribution. It is the discretion of Arizona State University to decide whether to use the image.
I am 18 years of age or older, and I am competent to contract in my own name. I have read this release before signing below, and I fully understand the contents, meaning and impact of this release. I understand that I am free to address any specific questions regarding this release by submitting those questions in writing before signing, and I agree that my failure to do so will be interpreted as a free and knowledgeable acceptance of the terms of this release.

Oklahoma State University
http://spears.okstate.​edu/news/forms/model (external link)

I, , give Oklahoma State University, the Spears School of Business and its departments, centers, and units the absolute right to photograph, tape, record and/or film me and to copyright and/or reuse, publish, perform, reproduce, adapt, distribute, or transmit the same, in whole, in part, or in composite, through any medium, for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction. I release the University, the photographer, their offices, employees, agents, and designees from liability for any violation of any personal or proprietary right I may have in connection with such use. I am 18 years of age or older. I understand my name may be used in connection with this use and signing this release does not guarantee publication.

University of Alaska
http://www.uaf.edu …omm/pnp/Model_R​elease.pdf (external link)

I give the University of Alaska Fairbanks Cooperative Extension Service (CES) permission to photograph, videotape or record me and to use the photographs, videotape, film or audio recording in print and electronic publications, video broadcasts, radio broadcasts or any similar electronic and mechanical means. I agree that the photographs, including negatives, slides and prints or any other presentation of the images, are the property of CES. I waive any right I may have to inspect and/or approve the finished product in which the images may be used. By signing this form I intend to release and discharge CES from any and all claims that I may have, and agree to hold harmless and defend CES from liability arising from claims or litigation arising from its use of my image or voice.

Arcadia University
http://www.arcadia.edu …ept/Photo-Release-06_.pdf (external link)

I, the undersigned, being 18 years of age or older, authorize Arcadia University, its successors,
subsidiaries and other agents to use, at any time, for advertising, promotion and marketing purposes,
photographs taken this date showing me, and to identify me by name, address or otherwise.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

sponsored links
RDKirk
13,282 posts
Joined May 2004

Dec 12, 2009 15:14 as a reply to  @ post 9183419 |  #17

FInally, I really can't think of any reason that anyone wouldn't want this document to be a valid contract. I'd really appreciate if anyone could explain the benefits of that to me.

Here is a reason: The compensation stipulated by a contract must be fair. If you profit from the image, the other party of the contract can haul you back into court claiming that the "consideration" was insufficient for the amount of gain on your part. It has happened to photographers before, and models have won.

Here is a reference:

"Because the concept of consideration relates to contract law, releases that contain consideration clauses can create doubt regarding whether the consent is a condition of the contract or is an independent statement. Because consent by itself is sufficient to negate a claim that a model's privacy rights has been violated, adding a consideration clause to a release can weaken the legal protection because a court could find the consent invalid if for some reason it finds the contract to be unenforceable."

Bert Krages, Esq. "Legal Handbook for Photographers - The Rights and Liabilities of Making Images, 2nd Ed.": Amherst Media, 2007

FreezeFramePhto
Goldmember
1,130 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 13, 2009 21:22 |  #18

I didnt read all the posts, so it may have been mentioned.

There is a webpage (have to find it) that you use for interaction between two parties, that captures signatures with mouse writing. Its a secure webpage with a password sent to the end user who your agreement will be with.

www.freezeframe.photo

TaggM
250 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 29, 2012 09:25 |  #19

I've considered having people fill out a nice PDF form on my laptop or smart phone. After mulling it over: why bother? It's really simple to carry physical forms on hand. Decidedly with minors, an emailed copy would be worthless. I definitely want to see the guardian sign the form.

Even better, we can photograph the individual holding the signed physical form with ID beside his/her/its face.

I have Canon gear. SX1 IS, two 7D bodies and mostly f/2.8 lenses 10mm-200mm, doubler, and 17/4 TSE, some 580EX IIs. Additional portable lighting gear, and tripod with 360 pano mount. Want two 7D II bodies.

Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 29, 2012 12:20 |  #20

TaggM wrote in post #13787899 (external link)
I've considered having people fill out a nice PDF form on my laptop or smart phone. After mulling it over: why bother? It's really simple to carry physical forms on hand. Decidedly with minors, an emailed copy would be worthless. I definitely want to see the guardian sign the form.

Even better, we can photograph the individual holding the signed physical form with ID beside his/her/its face.

Another thread resurrected from the dead...

There's no need to deal with paper releases and contracts anymore (it's 2012). Every contract we do now is done electronically with e-signature. If it's good enough for the US government, it's surely good enough for photographer model releases.

RDKirk
13,282 posts
Joined May 2004

Jan 29, 2012 13:48 |  #21

Ledrak wrote in post #13788782 (external link)
Another thread resurrected from the dead...

There's no need to deal with paper releases and contracts anymore (it's 2012). Every contract we do now is done electronically with e-signature. If it's good enough for the US government, it's surely good enough for photographer model releases.

What method are you using?

I've been beating over this subject for a while now and tend to reach the same conclusion as TaggM. I use a handful of different releases and contracts depending on the circumstances, and I haven't found a paperless system that wasn't a whole lot more logistical trouble than simply having a few sheets of paper in my case.

Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 29, 2012 23:12 |  #22

RDKirk wrote in post #13789231 (external link)
What method are you using?

I've been beating over this subject for a while now and tend to reach the same conclusion as TaggM. I use a handful of different releases and contracts depending on the circumstances, and I haven't found a paperless system that wasn't a whole lot more logistical trouble than simply having a few sheets of paper in my case.

I personally use and prefer Echosign, but there are a few other options that are good too. Every release and contract we do now is sent before the shoot via email. And in the cases where we need a 2257 form, we simply bring the tablet to the shoot and do that on sight. The best part is there's no more stacks of paper contracts to store and keep up with anymore. Everything is on file, on a disk. I highly recommend going digital with your contracts if you havent already.

sponsored links

7,776 views & 0 likes for this thread
Model Release by Email
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.