Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 29 Jan 2012 (Sunday) 00:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Well...finally got one of my shots stolen...

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 29, 2012 11:59 |  #31

ImaginePhotography wrote in post #13788641 (external link)
Man, so much hate by so many. And it's nice to read some reasonable responses by reasonable people.

To the haters: If this was some random person across the country that doesn't know me, I wouldn't begin to suggest it was intentional. It's not that I shot an amazing photo. It's not that I'm an important photographer. It's not that I think I'm hot stuff. It's the simple fact that a terrible photographer in the same tiny town I live in intentionally copied a composition of one of my photos, and it annoys me because this person is using that photo to gain business. They might as well just put up my photos and use them to get business. That's the only point I'm trying to make here.

Also, there is another photographer in my town, and she's fantastic, and she has several of her compositions copied by this person as well. So it's not just about me. In fact, it's not really about me at all. It's about a person trying to make money off of our ideas. That's the problem. That's the issue. Is it legal? Sure. Is it a huge deal? Probably not. Is it shady? Yep. Does it rub me the wrong way? Yep. Do you have to agree? Nope.

I find the practice to be despicable, and evidently I'm the only one, so I guess I'm wrong.

Congratulations, I'm sorry.

Nothing wrong with getting upset over competition copying your ideas. Then again, there is nothing really wrong morally with her copying, just shows she has difficult time coming up with her own ideas.

Maybe it's a compliment that she likes your ideas enough to copy them. Sure, it's not a totally new concept and many others have done the same, but if she saw yours and liked it enough to copy it, then she obviously saw it as a really cool concept.

I personally would just let it slide like water on a ducks back, and move on. Maybe you will come up with more ideas and she will copy those as well, but she really isn't hurting you.

sponsored links
ImaginePhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
259 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 29, 2012 12:02 |  #32

Randy - Thx man. You make fine points.

I just can't figure out why everyone else is so PISSED about my post here. It's not affecting any of you. It's one thing to disagree, but i'm being nailed pretty hard here for speaking up about something that I imagine a few of you have actually experienced, and maybe even were annoyed by (but didn't share it aloud).

www.imaginephotoaz.com (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 29, 2012 12:04 |  #33

This same thing is being discussed on another thread but it involves a shot that was done in the UK. Where someone deliberately almost took the exact same shot and used the exact same processing and the person who copied the technique is being sued by the original photographer.

For this reason, I am brought back to my philosophy of the Walt Disney World Cinderella Castle that is all over the internet. Could you imagine the number of people that could complain about how someone elses shot looks exactly like theirs? Google "Cinderellas Castle Disney World Photos (external link)" and you will see what I mean (OK, I added a link to that suggestion).

Even I have similar photos of that castle somewhere in a box of 35mm photos. You can't complain about someone taking a photo similar to yours because I am sure that somewhere in the world there is a photo almost exactly like yours and almost exactly like hers. We just haven't seen theirs.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

ImaginePhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
259 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 29, 2012 12:12 |  #34

CameraMan - That's a fine point, and I totally agree with there being probably a million pics like that. I'm only suggesting that it's an issue because this person lives, breathes and eats and works within a mile of me, just started shooting weddings within the past couple of months, and knows and admires our work. That's flattering, but it was still a shock when it suddenly popped up on her site.

I guess what we can say is: I was surprised, and my surprise caused me to react. People don't always react properly. My reaction was to mention it here. I could have kept it to myself. But I didn't.

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 29, 2012 12:14 |  #35

As Randy also mentioned (while I was writing my response) I would take it as a compliment that someone wants to try and replicate your work.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

ImaginePhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
259 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 29, 2012 12:20 |  #36

Thx Cman

ImaginePhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
259 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 29, 2012 12:22 |  #37

In an unrelated, but somewhat similar subject...See that ring pic in my avatar? I've not seen one like it. I googled but couldn't find any. Can anyone chime in and tell me if they've done it or seen it? I've done it twice, don't want to overuse it.

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,229 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 29, 2012 12:23 |  #38

I'm doing that exact same shot in about an hour. What camera, lens, lighting and processing did you use as it looks very nice.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

ImaginePhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
259 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 29, 2012 12:25 |  #39

@chet - hahaha. 7D, 70-200mm L IS, shot at 200mm, natural light. ;) Get me a copy so I can use it on my site!

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 29, 2012 15:30 |  #40

ImaginePhotography wrote in post #13788695 (external link)
I just can't figure out why everyone else is so PISSED about my post here. It's not affecting any of you. It's one thing to disagree, but i'm being nailed pretty hard here for speaking up about something that I imagine a few of you have actually experienced, and maybe even were annoyed by (but didn't share it aloud).

I don't know that any one here is pissed at you. And sure, we've all done it and had it done to us; it's the nature of both the business and art of photography.

What I guess you're hearing is amazement; none of us can undestand why this is such an issue for you. It's not even a truly unique or signature shot. I've taken the exact same photo many times and I assure you, I've never seen your original. I wasn't lucky enough to get a cool message being exchanged, but I've taken the same shot many times.

Look; here's a shot that I "stole" from others. I've seen it done bunches of times, including by other photographers here on POTN. I like the way I do it, but the idea for the shot was not my own. It's a great photo and prospects always react very positively to it. But did I really steal it?

IMAGE: http://photos.robertwaynephotography.com/img/s8/v10/p294360470-4.jpg

Like I said very early in this thread, the single image that you use on the Investment page on your own website are the rings on a flower. Was that really your idea? Were you really the first to do that?

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

jonwhite
Goldmember
1,279 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 29, 2012 17:20 |  #41

ImaginePhotography wrote in post #13788793 (external link)
In an unrelated, but somewhat similar subject...See that ring pic in my avatar? I've not seen one like it. I googled but couldn't find any. Can anyone chime in and tell me if they've done it or seen it? I've done it twice, don't want to overuse it.

That's got more to do with the fact that most images arent properly key-worded/indexed than it has someone not having done it before ...... I have seen wedding rings placed on just about everything you could imagine so far so I am sure that will have been done before, the fact that you cant find it via a Google search means nothing.

A pic of a phone in someone's hand is definitely not unique, its been done a million times already so even if you think it was your image that inspired her it could quite easily have been many many other people.

With the billions of photos that are being taken these days its almost impossible to come up with something completely unique.

BTW that final paragraph of text on your website in "who are you guys" section I have seen on loads of websites in one form or another.

How much did it cost you to license that music for your website btw ? Snow Patrol Chasing Cars gotta be a stupid price hasn't it ?

Wedding Portfolio Website (external link) | Wedding Photographer Blog (external link)

rpaul
636 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 29, 2012 17:42 |  #42

CameraMan wrote in post #13788702 (external link)
This same thing is being discussed on another thread but it involves a shot that was done in the UK. Where someone deliberately almost took the exact same shot and used the exact same processing and the person who copied the technique is being sued by the original photographer.

If I'm not mistaken that was also a situation where the image was wanted for commercial use, and the offending image was created to deliberately imitate the original image so as to avoid paying the original creator for its use. Very, very different from OP's concerns.

Rob | rmpaul.com (external link)
Gear 'n Stuff (external link)
C&C always welcome

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 29, 2012 19:02 |  #43

Damn, all those people using mirrors for the bouquet shots are gonna be screwed.

Chris Giles Photography

CTP
353 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 29, 2012 19:52 |  #44

I totally can not fathom how you can be so incredibly sure she saw your photo and made conscience and direct choices to steal you photo with the specific intent to further her business. As one said already, she didnt steal your photo, she stole a concept but if admit that, then you sound even more egotastic as your concept is hardly unique.

Peacefield wrote in post #13789720 (external link)
What I guess you're hearing is amazement; none of us can understand why this is such an issue for you. It's not even a truly unique or signature shot.

This EXACTLY my thoughts. If all it took was a local photographer to POSSIBLY do what you feel she did, to get yourself so aggravated you had to create a new thread here.... man you have a long and rough road coming your way in the photography world.

EOS R + 5D4, 16-35L II, 24L TS-E II, 24L II, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, RF 28-70L, 580ex IIx2
Rockford IL Wedding Photographer (external link), my blog (external link) and Youtube (external link).

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,945 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 29, 2012 20:18 as a reply to  @ CTP's post |  #45

Good Artists borrow,, Great artists steal-- Picasso

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

8,642 views & 0 likes for this thread
Well...finally got one of my shots stolen...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.