Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 28 Jan 2012 (Saturday) 07:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hostgator

jmweb
523 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 28, 2012 07:08 |  #1

Heya guys, I'm liking Hostgator's unlimited data and while we all know hard drives have a maximum to them, I am iffy on such a buy however the thought behind it all is great.

I am in the process of building a new photo site, with e-commerce and a blog but the site will host a lot, of images. Hostgator has a 250,000 file limit (in TOS), which is more then I'd ever have....has anyone had any issues with uploading large amounts of photos to Hostgator?

John Morris Photo - PEI, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick photographer (external link)
The most powerful work: editorial. JohnMorrisPhoto.ca (external link)
Gear: Canon 1dx, Canon 7dx Mark II, Canon 5d S, Canon 5d SR..

sponsored links
Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 28, 2012 10:46 |  #2

I've never had any issues hosting through them.

-F

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 29, 2012 23:20 as a reply to  @ Fernando's post |  #3

Hostagor is good, but back when I was using them they had limits on the number of mysql connections and domains you could have without buying a dedicated server (which is why I left them). But if you don't need those things then hostagor should be fine.

newrecruit
41 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 30, 2012 09:55 |  #4

I've been very happy using hostgator. Their catch to unlimited data is that everything must be available on the site. You couldn't use it for backups.

www.stephendesroches.c​om (external link)

Ronny ­ Geenen
125 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 31, 2012 00:02 |  #5

jmweb wrote in post #13782547 (external link)
Heya guys, I'm liking Hostgator's unlimited data and while we all know hard drives have a maximum to them, I am iffy on such a buy however the thought behind it all is great.

I am in the process of building a new photo site, with e-commerce and a blog but the site will host a lot, of images. Hostgator has a 250,000 file limit (in TOS), which is more then I'd ever have....has anyone had any issues with uploading large amounts of photos to Hostgator?

I love Hostgator. Their service is great and cost are low. I have 5 domain names for the price of one.

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 21, 2013 11:14 |  #6

For those that use hostgator, do you ever notice random ads on your pages?

I got a 2 year plan on black friday, updated my site last night *using notepad* and uploaded the new files. today I thought I would take a look at it on a different computer and I noticed random ads that should not be there.

When I load the "about me" page and the "testimonies" page, a random word is picked to be a link that takes you to a new window/tab for some advertisement. When I hit F5 a new word is selected on the reload and a new advertisement.

As far as I know hostgator doesnt put ads on paid pages?

Canon investor

jonwhite
Goldmember
1,279 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 21, 2013 14:09 |  #7

I use them for some of my sites and they have been very reliable, more so than my expensive UK VPS that I use for some other sites!

Wedding Portfolio Website (external link) | Wedding Photographer Blog (external link)

John
Goldmember
1,404 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 22, 2013 12:24 |  #8

GerryDavid wrote in post #15515618 (external link)

Not that I know of. I've heard good things about Hostgator and I don't think they would ever do this.

If I had to guess, I think it may be one of these:

1) You have something running that is "hijacking" your browser
2) Insecure scripts running on your site so someone uploaded something by exploiting a vulnerability
3) User/pass compromised

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

aias313
41 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 22, 2013 13:49 |  #9

GerryDavid wrote in post #15515618 (external link)
When I load the "about me" page and the "testimonies" page, a random word is picked to be a link that takes you to a new window/tab for some advertisement. When I hit F5 a new word is selected on the reload and a new advertisement.

That my friend is adware and it's not hostgator it's on your machine.

aias313
41 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 22, 2013 13:51 |  #10

Never had a problem with Hostgator.. and even their basic package can take a good amount of traffic.. I've had 2-300 concurrent visitors on my site and they handled it fine.. if i should be so lucky to have that many people on my photo site. ever.

sponsored links

1,683 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hostgator
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.