Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 09 Oct 2010 (Saturday) 10:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show us your coolest accessory.

kendon
839 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 29, 2012 14:52 |  #511

i reckon the 100-400 is a push-pull zoom, how would you rate it for a regular turn-style zoom? i'd imagine it to be a bit harder to turn the zoom ring inside the bag...

7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 70-200/4 IS, NiftyFifty, 580EXII, Σ 30 EX DC, Walimex 8mm Fisheye, MD Rokkor 50/1.4, BendyCam (external link), Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
tvphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 29, 2012 16:59 |  #512

kendon wrote in post #13789549 (external link)
i reckon the 100-400 is a push-pull zoom, how would you rate it for a regular turn-style zoom? i'd imagine it to be a bit harder to turn the zoom ring inside the bag...

There is a good deal of play between the bag and the lens, i.e., it's not a tight fit. I don't think there would be a problem.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

mrrikki
909 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 30, 2012 00:20 |  #513

tvphotog wrote in post #13788574 (external link)
I have to sing the praises of one of the least expensive and most useful accessories, the Op/Tech Rainsleeve. I think the price is about $7 for two of them, rather than the hundreds of dollars that are the price points of several of the competitors. Of course, the Op/Tech is made of thin plastic, rather than canvas and waterproofing materials of the others.

But the Op/Tech performs up to the standards of the company's other innovative products. It fit my 7D/100-400 combo easily. There's a drawstring to snug up the plastic around the end of the lens, leaving the threads free for a hood. Moving the lens slide in and out was easy. Gettting to the controls through the thin plastic is no problem at all, and there is a hand opening on the right to grip the camera in the standard way, so you don't have to hold it through the plastic. There is a pre-cut hole for the eyepiece.

You can cut a small hole in the bottom to attach a tripod, very easily. I used the same one daily for about four days without a problem. They are so thin you can carry several packets of them on a trip.

I was in the rain forests of Costa Rica all week, and they were a godsend.

Photo courtesy B&H (external link)

I was going to post these are one of the best and cheapes accessories around, I really recommend them, I always have one in my pocket in case I get caught out!

GEAR: Canon 7D Mark II, 7D & 6D Lenses: Canon 300 f2.8 L IS, 70-200 f2.8 L, 24-105 L, Canon 50mm f1.8 & Sigma 1.4x Converter.
Website www.rmtphotos.co.uk (external link)

paullindqvist
94 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 30, 2012 00:59 |  #514
bannedPermanent ban

S.E.V. wrote in post #13751309 (external link)
When bouncing off the ceiling yes they are relatively the same, it is when shooting the flash straight on you will see an improvement.

In what kind of situations do you typically shoot with a flash straight on ? (just curious)

Dawud
392 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 30, 2012 03:44 |  #515

paullindqvist wrote in post #13792571 (external link)
In what kind of situations do you typically shoot with a flash straight on ? (just curious)

macro?

Camera • lenses

KCY
Unlocked the hidden 117 point AF
7,170 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 30, 2012 03:49 |  #516

tvphotog wrote in post #13788574 (external link)
I have to sing the praises of one of the least expensive and most useful accessories, the Op/Tech Rainsleeve. I think the price is about $7 for two of them, rather than the hundreds of dollars that are the price points of several of the competitors. Of course, the Op/Tech is made of thin plastic, rather than canvas and waterproofing materials of the others.

But the Op/Tech performs up to the standards of the company's other innovative products. It fit my 7D/100-400 combo easily. There's a drawstring to snug up the plastic around the end of the lens, leaving the threads free for a hood. Moving the lens slide in and out was easy. Gettting to the controls through the thin plastic is no problem at all, and there is a hand opening on the right to grip the camera in the standard way, so you don't have to hold it through the plastic. There is a pre-cut hole for the eyepiece.

You can cut a small hole in the bottom to attach a tripod, very easily. I used the same one daily for about four days without a problem. They are so thin you can carry several packets of them on a trip.

I was in the rain forests of Costa Rica all week, and they were a godsend.

Ohhh they look handy to have around, are they meant to be disposable or reusable?

KC - The Circle of PoTN - Member of the UCPC
My Gear|My Smugmug (external link)|Pong

tvphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 30, 2012 07:21 |  #517

KCY wrote in post #13792957 (external link)
Ohhh they look handy to have around, are they meant to be disposable or reusable?

They're reusable until they ultimately rip somewhere, but if you treat them gently, one should last for several uses before you have to dispose it. It depends on how rough you are with them.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

nasua
250 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 31, 2012 11:54 as a reply to  @ tvphotog's post |  #518

I've been using a rain cover from Fotosharp http://fotosharp.com/c​amera_rain_covers.html (external link). It's identical in concept to the Op/Tech sleeve (a tube of material with cord-locked bungees at each end), but is made of "silnylon", a silicone impregnated rip-stop nylon material that's very durable and lightweight. Costs more, but it should hold up to a lot more use.

tvphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 04, 2012 12:48 |  #519

I've mentioned Maxpedition.com  (external link)for their universal sheath that I use on my utility belt for my monopod. They're pretty much a tactical equipment site, but their items cross overy very well into photography in the field.

I've also used their nylon flashlight and knife sheaths for my Swiss Army, Fenix LD20 and a large folding utility knive. All of them are extremely well-made, really military grade, made out of heavy nylon with heavy stitching and thick Velcro. I've used all these items over three weeks abroad in jungle climes, and they are super.

Several are Molle compatible, and Maxpedition sells the 3" straps Molle straps for them; the large knive sheath has an adjustable top and velcro attachments for vests and belts. The flashlight sheaths are box-cut and sewn, with a drainage grommet at the bottom.

The first photo below is the large utility knife sheath. The next are three colors of the 5" flashlight sheath which fits the 6" long Fenix. There is a 4" flashilight sheath which I use for the Swiss Army knife. All come in three colors.

Photos courtesy Maxpedition (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Jay

S.E.V.
/Include subdirectories, empty directories, and verify.
3,866 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 04, 2012 18:32 |  #520

paullindqvist wrote in post #13792571 (external link)

I have used it at motorsport events as a means of fill light mainly, Car shows and so on. Not Macro, for Macro I use the DIY Motley Pixel ring flash. I will post some pix later.

ShotsInTime (external link) / Gear List /Flickr (external link) / Canon Family Portrait (external link)
- Don't Argue With A Stupid Person, They Will Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,194 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 05, 2012 15:06 |  #521

BEST PORTRAIT ACCESSORY

This is even better than Photoshop CS5 for removing shine from noses and oher parts of the subject's face. I will never shoot portraits without it. Pretty darn inexpensive as photo accessories go...

http://www.drugstore.c​om …d=184677&fromsr​ch=kleenex (external link)

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 06, 2012 17:49 |  #522

RPCrowe wrote in post #13830646 (external link)
This is even better than Photoshop CS5 for removing shine from noses and oher parts of the subject's face. I will never shoot portraits without it. Pretty darn inexpensive as photo accessories go...

http://www.drugstore.c​om …d=184677&fromsr​ch=kleenex (external link)

I just bought those last month for my parents to take on vacation. I never saw them before. Who knew tissues could be so stylish? They don't hold as much as the regular pocket packs, but they sure do look a lot better in your front pocket. :D

gordon
Gear and Feedback

tvphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 09, 2012 19:07 as a reply to  @ kendon's post |  #523

I found the source of one of the best lanyard weavers in the country. It's www.paracord.com (external link), and the price for their completely customizable lanyards is the same as for the readymade ones elsewhere on the web.

The cost is $5.95 each. I have a hand full of them, the ones in the photos are neon and have a reflective thread in them, but they come in a dozens of colors, some reflective, some not, and a whole bunch of black and camo-muted tone for tactical use.

I had a couple of black and red, black and olive non-reflective ones on a flashlight and knife, until I got caught in the rainforest at sundown in the tropics where sunlight to black night happens in five minutes. I pulled out my flashlight and thought, "what if I stumbled and lost one of these items, a knife or compass, in the dark?" I ordered these neon reflective ones below as soon as I got home.

They are completely customizable with different beads. These below are glow in the dark, but they have black plastic ones, pewter, brass and copper skulls, and Damascus balls, some at additional price. Square, round or mixed weave patterns. The long cord tails are a nice aesthetic touch. And a whole bunch of other paracord items. Shipped the next day, arrive in 3-5 days.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i17.photobucket​.com …7/maxselma/Para​Bucket.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i17.photobucket​.com …/maxselma/ParaB​ucket2.jpg (external link)

Jay

JDubya
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 09, 2012 19:27 |  #524

Nice find.

For the DIYers, Stormdrane (external link) has a lot of great tutorials on his blog. He makes some crazy cool stuff. For paracord,Supply Captain (external link) has a great selection at great prices.

tvphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 22, 2012 14:08 |  #525

There was interest in this in another thread so I thought I'd post it here. We all have ponchos for rainy days, but if not, here's a good one. Military specs, ripstop nylon, covers to the knees, and best of all, folds to a 9" flat square that weighs nothing. You can stick it in a pocket or on the side of your bag.

Black and camo colors, $30.

Photo courtesy GalaxyArmyNavy (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO

Jay

sponsored links

675,064 views & 37 likes for this thread
Show us your coolest accessory.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.