Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Jan 2012 (Monday) 06:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Using Air blowers to cleaner sensor?

The ­ Acumen
99 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 30, 2012 06:51 |  #1

I told a camera technician that I've used and seen tutorials of people using air blowers to clean their sensors and he told me that anyone that does that is a idiot.

What's your opinions on this?

Thanks

sponsored links
katodog
Goldmember
4,125 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 30, 2012 07:02 |  #2

I'm an idiot. I use Q-Tips, rubbing alcohol, and my air compressor to clean my sensors, and while I may be an idiot I haven't hurt any sensor ever by using my techniques. Sadly, skill and intelligence hasn't trickled down to most people, the people who are afraid to sneeze next to their camera because they think the world is going to end.

There is a protective film over your sensor, you're cleaning that, not the sensor. As long as you aren't pouring water into your camera, and you're not pushing down at 2 tons of pressure, you're probably not going to do anything to your "sensor" except clean it. The worst thing you're gonna do is put streaks on it with whatever you use to clean it, which means you'll have to clean it again. Oh dear God, what ever will you do?? I've used industrial solvents on optical coatings and camera sensors that cost more than most peoples entire gear list, and so far I've never harmed a single thing.

But again, I'm an idiot, so what do I know. All of my images come out blurry and streaky because my sensors are so crippled by how I clean them. It's terrible I tell you, I should be stopped.

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,726 posts
Joined May 2003

Jan 30, 2012 07:04 |  #3

Ask the tech about this statement which came right from the Canon Europe site (http://cpn.canon-europe.com …_image/sensor_c​leaning.do (external link))

Cleaning the sensor
Whatever precautions you take, one day the sensor will need cleaning. Canon approves only two methods. The first method you can try yourself using a rubber air blower. The second involves sending the camera to a Canon Service Centre.

The ­ Acumen
THREAD ­ STARTER
99 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 30, 2012 07:06 |  #4

katodog wrote in post #13793270 (external link)
I'm an idiot. I use Q-Tips, rubbing alcohol, and my air compressor to clean my sensors, and while I may be an idiot I haven't hurt any sensor ever by using my techniques. Sadly, skill and intelligence hasn't trickled down to most people, the people who are afraid to sneeze next to their camera because they think the world is going to end.

There is a protective film over your sensor, you're cleaning that, not the sensor. As long as you aren't pouring water into your camera, and you're not pushing down at 2 tons of pressure, you're probably not going to do anything to your "sensor" except clean it. The worst thing you're gonna do is put streaks on it with whatever you use to clean it, which means you'll have to clean it again. Oh dear God, what ever will you do?? I've used industrial solvents on optical coatings and camera sensors that cost more than most peoples entire gear list, and so far I've never harmed a single thing.

But again, I'm an idiot, so what do I know. All of my images come out blurry and streaky because my sensors are so crippled by how I clean them. It's terrible I tell you, I should be stopped.

Well if that makes u an idiot then i must be a idiot too. Maybe we'll find someone that isn't idiot.

But these guys are idiots for sure!

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=gouSOlgvQg0 (external link)

John_T
Goldmember
3,098 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Jan 30, 2012 07:08 |  #5

Assuming you mean a squeeze it bulb blower, not stronger, he could mean you are just driving the dust in the corners, but he could also mean you drive dust onto the AF field lens or could damage the shutter curtains, even though they are drawn back to expose the sensor.

In any case, I only puff in there with the lens mount facing down. If that doesn't remove a fiber or something, out comes the Arctic Butterfly. Last resort is a wet clean.

In any case, I wouldn't blast around in there indiscriminately and certainly not use canned air or the like.

Canon : EOS R : 5DIV : 5DS R : 5DIII : 7DII : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : RF-24-105L IS : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS II : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 600EX-RT : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 30, 2012 07:10 |  #6

I'm an idiot! Been one for years now. I use a loupe with lights to look inside my camera at the sensor and when I notice it getting dirty I use a specialized blower designed for sensors. Each cylinder only lasts me through one round of cleaning, but it does so without the hazards of other canned airs.

I also have a mirror and sensor brush but don't use those much sense my air and swaps seem to do the job well. Only problem was once I touched some lubricant on the side that I smeared on the sensor, but a few more swabs took care of it.

Believe me, I am very careful, so I'm a cautious idiot.

The ­ Acumen
THREAD ­ STARTER
99 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 30, 2012 07:12 |  #7

John from PA wrote in post #13793277 (external link)
Ask the tech about this statement which came right from the Canon Europe site (http://cpn.canon-europe.com …_image/sensor_c​leaning.do (external link))

Cleaning the sensor
Whatever precautions you take, one day the sensor will need cleaning. Canon approves only two methods. The first method you can try yourself using a rubber air blower. The second involves sending the camera to a Canon Service Centre.

Thanks for clarifying that.

The ­ Acumen
THREAD ­ STARTER
99 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 30, 2012 07:14 |  #8

Same technician also told me this which i found hard to believe

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=13793260#po​st13793260

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,726 posts
Joined May 2003

Jan 30, 2012 07:22 |  #9

I suggest you find a "proper" camera tech instead of a "camera mechanic".

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 30, 2012 08:52 |  #10

I wouldn't bring my camera to that "technician".

Tony ­ Parenti
317 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 30, 2012 08:58 |  #11

I don't recommend canned air. You will more than likely end up blasting the dust onto the focus screen... which is more of a pain to clean.

Canon 5d Mk II & III | Canon 35mm 1.4L| Sigma 35mm 1.5 | Canon 50mm 1.2L | Canon 135mm 2L | Alien Bees B800 Strobe & Giant Soft Box | Canon 580EX II

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 30, 2012 09:03 |  #12

Tony Parenti wrote in post #13793692 (external link)
I don't recommend canned air. You will more than likely end up blasting the dust onto the focus screen... which is more of a pain to clean.

I would never used the canned air meant for computers. The blowing needs to be gentle, and those compressed air shoot out ice.

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 30, 2012 09:05 |  #13

I would agree with him!!! BUT>>> you are not cleaning the sensor you are cleaning a piece of glass covering the sensor.

I will bring my camera to my "day job" every once in a while and our "compressed air" system through out all the labs is actually nitrogen. I will set the sensor clean setting and gently blow it out. And blow off the rest of the body.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

AJSJones
Goldmember
2,647 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2001

Jan 30, 2012 10:55 |  #14

Mark1 wrote in post #13793720 (external link)
I would agree with him!!! BUT>>> you are not cleaning the sensor you are cleaning a piece of glass covering the sensor.

I will bring my camera to my "day job" every once in a while and our "compressed air" system through out all the labs is actually nitrogen. I will set the sensor clean setting and gently blow it out. And blow off the rest of the body.

I hope your nitrogen system is well maintained - it's not uncommon for systems like that to be capable of having aerosolized oil dropets in the stream. Either the system or you should filter it first - otherwise a wet clean (or two) will be needed to get the oil off!

Even though it's not the sensor, the surface is scratchable - but you need tiny grains of sand and a swab pushing hard dragging it across to make that happen. Luckily the sand particles are the easiest to dislodge with a blower - before a wet clean.

I use a brush often because it's so easy and effective.

My picture galleries (external link)

squaresnappr
278 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 30, 2012 11:17 |  #15

John_T wrote in post #13793288 (external link)
Assuming you mean a squeeze it bulb blower, not stronger, he could mean you are just driving the dust in the corners, but he could also mean you drive dust onto the AF field lens or could damage the shutter curtains, even though they are drawn back to expose the sensor.

In any case, I only puff in there with the lens mount facing down. If that doesn't remove a fiber or something, out comes the Arctic Butterfly. Last resort is a wet clean.

In any case, I wouldn't blast around in there indiscriminately and certainly not use canned air or the like.

I use my blower with the lens mount facing down as well and haven't had any problems yet. I also use the Arctic Butterfly 724 when necessary or the sensor pen. If all fails I use wet cleaning with Visible Dust products.

But mostly just the blower so that is why this thread intrigued me.

My Gear
http://www.solofotogra​phy.com (external link)
http://www.modelmayhem​.com/1896508 (external link)

sponsored links

2,371 views & 0 likes for this thread
Using Air blowers to cleaner sensor?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.