Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior

this thread is locked
umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
11,357 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 29, 2012 18:33 |  #5926

phamster wrote in post #13790306 (external link)
does that material reflect light a little?

Pham.

I don't think it does because the finish is flat. Basically looks and feels like stained old wood. There is no shine to it so it should work just like a normal wooded floor in a studio. I looked very closely at it and took some shots in the store and could not get anything to reflect. I will know more this week after we get it finished. I don't think its going to be a problem. I know most commercial studios have no treated wooden floors and they dont seem to have a problem as well.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
11,357 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 29, 2012 18:35 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #5927

^^^^^

they had a lot of different styles. the ones that i think will work for photographers are the rustic one. Very flat finish on them. Nothing shiney at all.

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

shankarhokie
Goldmember
1,894 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 29, 2012 18:55 |  #5928

umphotography wrote in post #13790525 (external link)
^^^^^

they had a lot of different styles. the ones that i think will work for photographers are the rustic one. Very flat finish on them. Nothing shiney at all.

Even if there a little shine, you could distress it with a sander and some fine grit sand paper, no?

Shankar
Perpetual learner.
FLICKR (external link) -- Gear-- Facebook (external link)

shankarhokie
Goldmember
1,894 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 29, 2012 19:00 as a reply to  @ shankarhokie's post |  #5929

I bought graffiti alley & painter's loft (CP6961) from Denny... I think they might work together & by themselves.

Shankar
Perpetual learner.

Mike414
365 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 29, 2012 20:38 as a reply to  @ shankarhokie's post |  #5930

Great tips & help with this thread, thanks everyone.....here is my first time attempting to take senior pictures; here are three from yesterday (my niece )

Any feedback and tips would be great.

All with:
40D
70-200
flash

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i384.photobucke​t.com …289/CanonDigita​ls/B-7.jpg (external link)

http://i384.photobucke​t.com …289/CanonDigita​ls/D-8.jpg (external link)

http://i384.photobucke​t.com …289/CanonDigita​ls/A-8.jpg (external link)

Mike

My Stuff:
40D - 70-200mm f/2.8L IS - 17-55mm f/2.8 IS - Speedlite 430EX - Rebel XT - 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 - 50mm f/1.8 -Monopod - Tripod.
"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were ?"

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 29, 2012 20:42 |  #5931

Mike414 wrote in post #13791276 (external link)
Great tips & help with this thread, thanks everyone.....here is my first time attempting to take senior pictures; here are three from yesterday (my niece )

Mike, looking good. Very nice quality of light, good posing. Compositions are generally good, just watch for joints (knees, heels, etc) on the edge of the frame.

joe

jsvphoto
790 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 29, 2012 21:59 |  #5932

I like the light balance in 1 and 3 better than 2. In 2, she is too dark compared to the background. Tough, I know, because your exposure on the background is correct in and of itself. Just means that location wasn't great for that time of day.

Posing is generally very nice. Watch the locking of joints (her elbows) as it sort of distorts limbs a little. It's really not too bad at all in these, just a general comment.

Otherwise, they look good, especially for a first time out.

Canon 7D Gripped; Canon 7D ii Gripped; Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L; Canon TS-E 24 f/3.5 L; Sigma 85 f/1.4; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; various lights & gizmos

jb_browneyes
Goldmember
2,107 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 30, 2012 01:47 |  #5933

jsv.. are you on a calibrated monitor? Maybe I just don't see it. but the thiing you said about #2 sounds crazy to me.
Mike 414.. To me I think you did a good job in general, and an Amazing job being your first time out and I can prove it.
If you look back there have been several "my first senior shoot" posts a few of which I thought were not so good (but what do I know?) anyhow you are getting critiques - not just "looks good" or "keep at it" type comments which, to me means your images are worthy of a critique.
(Granted when any of those type comments are said to someone like Mike, Tiff orPham etc... It's because their stuff in so consistantly awesome that there is nothing to pick at :)
To my eye, I think you have a good balance, and her skin looks good. My personal taste would like to see a little color pop, contrast etc. (Something to make her jump off the page) That may not be your style. Just my 2 cents.

Jennifer
I only answer to THE highest authority

gear and website (external link)

shankarhokie
Goldmember
1,894 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 30, 2012 08:13 as a reply to  @ jb_browneyes's post |  #5934

I now have 3 denny BGs, one Botero, and several muslins I got from India. I just got the Fotodiox seamless bracket kit, and have hung 3 seamless paper BGs.

I was thinking of installing a ceiling track to hang all the cloth backgrounds just infront of the seamless set up, move them out of the way when using the paper, and pull the cloth background as needed.

Good idea? bad idea?

I was going to get this system from Ikea. Any experience with this?

http://www.ikea.com …atalog/products​/80079363/ (external link)

Shankar
Perpetual learner.

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,721 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 30, 2012 08:28 |  #5935

jsvphoto wrote in post #13791827 (external link)
I like the light balance in 1 and 3 better than 2. In 2, she is too dark compared to the background. Tough, I know, because your exposure on the background is correct in and of itself. Just means that location wasn't great for that time of day.

Posing is generally very nice. Watch the locking of joints (her elbows) as it sort of distorts limbs a little. It's really not too bad at all in these, just a general comment.

Otherwise, they look good, especially for a first time out.

jb_browneyes wrote in post #13792712 (external link)
jsv.. are you on a calibrated monitor? Maybe I just don't see it. but the thiing you said about #2 sounds crazy to me.
Mike 414.. To me I think you did a good job in general, and an Amazing job being your first time out and I can prove it.
If you look back there have been several "my first senior shoot" posts a few of which I thought were not so good (but what do I know?) anyhow you are getting critiques - not just "looks good" or "keep at it" type comments which, to me means your images are worthy of a critique.
(Granted when any of those type comments are said to someone like Mike, Tiff orPham etc... It's because their stuff in so consistantly awesome that there is nothing to pick at :)
To my eye, I think you have a good balance, and her skin looks good. My personal taste would like to see a little color pop, contrast etc. (Something to make her jump off the page) That may not be your style. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with JVS. She blends into the background too much. I am on a good monitor. She needs some seperation or something. Perhaps a move to the left or right in camera position just to get her out of that dark patch. It isnt a bad shot, but the others are just better. :D

Shane
flickr (external link)

sevillafox
I'm good with pathetic! Really, I am.
25,223 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 30, 2012 08:37 |  #5936

Mike414 wrote in post #13791276 (external link)

Any feedback and tips would be great.

All with:
40D
70-200
flash

QUOTED IMAGE

Lovely location...pose is good....next time have her lean the other way so she is leaning up hill rather than down....you have her posed almost so she looks like she is stopping herself from rolling. Also, watch the hand she is leaning on.....I'd like to see more hand and less stump if that makes sense. A little color pop here could really make this sing.

QUOTED IMAGE

Lovely shot here. Again, the pose is good. For me personally being a chick I would have liked to see either all the boots or none...I think cropping mid boot here is a little off.....crop in a little tighter. Also, a little darkening of the background and color pop would be nice. Good job posing her hand on the tree so we just see the edge though I would have liked to see her other hand either on her hip or her thumb tucked into her pocket instead of just hanging there.
QUOTED IMAGE

Nice here as well. Cropping at joints is bad. Don't do it. Also, watch the leaning on the hands....if you do pose like that...and by all means do it...make sure the subject isn't actually putting weight on the leaning arm. Putting weight on it can make it look more bulky and tenses the muscles up. She doesn't look bad here but just a note for the future. Watch the hands too.....great job on the leaning hand but the forward hand you should have tried to see more the edge of the hand than the full on back of the hand.

Mike

Overall nice work. :)

Tiffany
hopeless smooshoholic......I smoosh!

hleidich
40 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 30, 2012 11:28 as a reply to  @ post 13784345 |  #5937

A few of Caile's shoot:
These were shot with a canon 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II, E640 bounced into a 60" brolly box:

Rick,
I like the 1st and 3rd...she has a really nice smile...flowers just dont fit the expression in the middle one...looks like she really pissed at her boyfriend whom she just caught cheating...wants to shove the flowers up.....

Mike414
365 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 30, 2012 19:34 as a reply to  @ hleidich's post |  #5938

Thanks everyone for all your great help & tips.
Here is the complete picture # 2 with the background a little darker.

http://i384.photobucke​t.com …o289/CanonDigit​als/2B.jpg (external link)

Edit....actually, this is not the same picture but a very similar picture to # 2.

Mike

My Stuff:
40D - 70-200mm f/2.8L IS - 17-55mm f/2.8 IS - Speedlite 430EX - Rebel XT - 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 - 50mm f/1.8 -Monopod - Tripod.
"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were ?"

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,721 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 30, 2012 20:06 |  #5939

Whoop, I dunno what drugs I was doing but I was looking back at Reminski's 3 picture set where the background of number 2 is pretty dark. Perhaps thats what JSV was looking at too? Mike, your shots all look fine. :D

Shane
flickr (external link)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
11,357 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 30, 2012 20:13 as a reply to  @ JakAHearts's post |  #5940

Got the new wooden floor in the studio. Looks like it wont reflect light so im pretty happy about that. Its 12x11. Decided to not take it past 12'. The rest will get finished this week. Just a snap shot fellas

http://i195.photobucke​t.com …/karenbaby12/8Q​2F7007.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

http://i195.photobucke​t.com …/karenbaby12/8Q​2F7010.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

2,785,856 views & 3 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.