Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 30 Jan 2012 (Monday) 13:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First hockey shots

Plumtreelad
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 30, 2012 13:00 |  #1

I'm interested in using my 7d for sports and have alighted on hockey (the British version).
Please let me have your comments and suggestions for improve

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

ment.

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)
david kissman photography (external link)

sponsored links
Plumtreelad
THREAD ­ STARTER
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 30, 2012 13:02 |  #2

2 more shots

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)

Aquaman
619 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 30, 2012 18:48 |  #3

They look good. When shooting sports, try to get the ball or object of action in the frame. Photos 2 and 3 are good action shots of the players, but without the ball, the images are lacking an important part of the story, especially because the hockey players are reacting to the ball.

Canon 7dii with an EFs 17-55; EF 50 1.8; EF 70-200 f2.8L; and EF 300L
www.wiphotoclub.com (external link)

johnb007
352 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 31, 2012 12:16 |  #4

I have been shooting basketball a lot lately. Best advice I have had is "each shot needs ball and face". I found it is true about 98% of the time.

Great shots! First and last look the best to me. Nice one about the last one is that the shoe brand matches the sock brand : )

-John
Canon 5DIII I 70-200 2.8L I 24-70 2.8L I 100 2.8L macro
500px (external link)

Plumtreelad
THREAD ­ STARTER
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 31, 2012 13:11 as a reply to  @ johnb007's post |  #5

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have done a bit of tennis photography and I agree that they look much better when there is a face and a ball. I guess that I will have to go for more high speed continuous shooting to increase my chances of getting that ball in the shot.

Had not spotted the brand connection between the socks and the shoes!

flickr (external link)

cpam.pix
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 31, 2012 18:21 |  #6

You may not need to "spray and pray" with the rapid fire to get the ball/face combo. After watching the game for a while you will be able to predict where the ball is going and when the handler will shoot or pass. Learning to time may get you better shots than just cranking up the FPS.

...at least that's what the experts tell me.

1D-III with stuff to stick on it:
70-200L, 28-70L, 24-105L, 300L, 50, 10-17 fish, 2.0x TC
Image editing OK, encouraged, and expected. Thank you for helping me learn!

jvk
407 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 13, 2012 13:05 |  #7

I see the improvement compared to your first hockey post.

#1 I like the timing. I like the colors.

#2 Is good hight wise. You were at knee level of the athlete. But colors are not poppy enough. Also the moment is not that great. Keep the horizon straight. If the ball was on the stick it would have been much better. (you should have waited a little longer.

#3 Timing too late. Ball is gone and the follow trough of the stick is almost completed. You want to catch it right after the ball is hit. It doenst matter if the ball is not in the pic but at least capture the most intense pose right after.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7169/6412097585_9c22267d94.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jvk031/64120975​85/  (external link)
_MG_5296 (external link) by jvk-031 (external link), on Flickr

#4 Is nice. It has good colors. Ok moment, not great but good.

You have 7D 8fps. Just hold down that button and choose the best moment when you are home.

It may sound wierd but hockey is a horizontal sport. Action is close to the ground and fast paced in horizontal direction. You should try to keep your camera horizontal too, you are able to catch much more of the action.

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Camera: Canon EOS 7D / Nikon Coolpix A / Hasselblad xpan
Lenses: Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM / Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM / Canon EF 80-200 f/2.8L / Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L USM
flickr (external link)

Plumtreelad
THREAD ­ STARTER
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 02, 2012 04:26 as a reply to  @ jvk's post |  #8

Thanks jvk.

I will work harder at the horizontal bit and also get the ball in the frame. So much to think about. Colour is a problem because the team I shoot for have black shirts and when I meter off the face the shirts are too dark, so I am trying to meter off the shirt and then I have problems getting enough contrast to produce pin sharp focus. Maybe I should meter off the pitch?

Gosh this is difficult but I will keep getting out there, practising and learning.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,249 views & 0 likes for this thread
First hockey shots
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.