Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 23 Jan 2012 (Monday) 15:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What I'm doing wrong?

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 23, 2012 22:04 |  #16

I can't get either of your websites to load completely. I've been waiting for a couple of minutes (on a fast DSL line), and so far I've seen only text and not one loaded photo. There are big, blank white spaces and spinning circles where I would expect photos to be.

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
TETRAGRAMATON
THREAD ­ STARTER
117 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 24, 2012 04:33 |  #17

Hey guys thanks for the great responds and advice's, just to say that I'm not pick in up the camera from the shop right now and wasn't looking for critique for my website at first, which actually is not bad idea do to the responds I have here that it actually loads very slow, this is new for me, it's not a flash based website it's wordpress template and no one, of my friends, has complained yet about loading pages slow.
I would like to say that there were some great ideas but I think the situation in Uk is very different than this, for photographers, in USA or Canada. I also noticed that it looks like is much more easier to start your photography business somewhere in the country side than in London, turns out that the news spread faster in such smaller communities.
Any way thanks again, and again I'm not one of this people that just bought the camera and likes to become a Pro, I'm into the photography since 2005 till the present day I build up lots of experience and equipment(2 Canon 5d body's, 1 5DmarkII, Lenses 70-200mm F4 IS, 24-105MM IS USM, 17-40MM F4, 50MM F1.4,24MM F2.8, 7 Canon speed lights, 5 POCKET WIZARDS mini1 for Canon flashes ...and many more tools) and I like to justified the time and the resources I spend during all this years.

London professional Portrait and Headshot photographer (external link)

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 24, 2012 11:17 |  #18

You really got some good advice above and youseem to be distracted by the forum 'noise'.

Seriously, your website alone will get you no work at all. It's a BUSINESS you're after and until you treat it as such you'll get nowhere. Business planning and market research will do you more use than any lighting ratio's or depth of feld calculators.

If you want to pay the bills with your camera you need to put a lot of effort into getting money out of peoples pockets. By now you are realisng that you're in a saturated market!

There was a MacDonalds on every street corner in London before Subway came along, did they worry that there weren't enough customers? No they marketed their USP, they sold people a new product. Find your niche and exploit it. Look at your business from a customer perspective, what have you got that I haven't? How can you turn that to your advantage?

If you're just happy to sit there making excuses for why you can't succeed, do you think that you will? Successful photography businesses aren't run by the best photographers, any more than successful restaurants are run by the best cooks. Success is measured by money over the counter, not awards hung on the wall. Being an OK photographer and a great businessman will do you more good than being a Great Photographerand OK businessman.

Did I mention it was about marketing?

It's about marketing and selling, rinse and repeat.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

delhi
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 24, 2012 12:00 |  #19

^ Truth.

Vancouver Portrait Photographer (external link)
No toys. Just tools. (external link) :lol:

5d3/1dx AF Guidebook | What AF Points to use for my 5d3/1dx?! (external link)

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 24, 2012 12:04 |  #20

If I was a bride in your area, how would I find out about your photography?

This question isn't one you need to answer for me. It's one you need to answer for yourself.

If you don't know the answer, ask some female friends. Or you could stop by a bridal store and randomly ask 3 to 5 people who enter that store where they found their photographer (be sure to get permission from the store first before doing this!) Then you need to figure out how to get your business in front of where these brides are looking.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

harroz
Goldmember
2,749 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 25, 2012 18:15 |  #21

Dude, listen to this post by Phil... like REALLY listen to it!

You have some great concept shots, fantastic actually, expand on those, create more, expand on the ideas of them, use what you've learnt and create more, create some that say something about something, so it can be related to advertising something by a client. Go hard, real hard, print them upon a book, then go to design & advertising studios and spread the word about yourself.

Phil V wrote in post #13760064 (external link)
You really got some good advice above and youseem to be distracted by the forum 'noise'.

Seriously, your website alone will get you no work at all. It's a BUSINESS you're after and until you treat it as such you'll get nowhere. Business planning and market research will do you more use than any lighting ratio's or depth of feld calculators.

If you want to pay the bills with your camera you need to put a lot of effort into getting money out of peoples pockets. By now you are realisng that you're in a saturated market!

There was a MacDonalds on every street corner in London before Subway came along, did they worry that there weren't enough customers? No they marketed their USP, they sold people a new product. Find your niche and exploit it. Look at your business from a customer perspective, what have you got that I haven't? How can you turn that to your advantage?

If you're just happy to sit there making excuses for why you can't succeed, do you think that you will? Successful photography businesses aren't run by the best photographers, any more than successful restaurants are run by the best cooks. Success is measured by money over the counter, not awards hung on the wall. Being an OK photographer and a great businessman will do you more good than being a Great Photographerand OK businessman.

Did I mention it was about marketing?

It's about marketing and selling, rinse and repeat.

blog (external link) weddings (external link) commercial (external link) mm (external link)

stephenb49
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 25, 2012 19:45 as a reply to  @ harroz's post |  #22

Firstly read what Phil v and Harroz are saying and act on their advice.

But I also wish to add: checked out both your websites: I can see lots which would attract an amateur to an amateur style site - all the bells and whistles, and a few whirligigs as well, all amateurs would use to distract from lack of substance.

However with your sites they do have substance, they have good photos: however they are good photos in the sense of dedicated amateur photos, camera club photos, exhibition style photos...but a distinct lack of "professional" photos in the sense that they are not marketable , they are not saleable, they are not "bread and butter" good!

Coupled with your forum posts which seem to dwell on listing the gear you have, and the time you have been interested in photography says one glaring thing you have to do: stop thinking like an amateur (hobbiest) and market yourself and your photography, but first make yourself "professional", that is make yourself as well as your photography marketable

omnom
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 30, 2012 18:30 as a reply to  @ stephenb49's post |  #23

Exactly what Phil said. Also take a look at Chase Jarvis' LIVE talks, the one with Ramit is really good.

Ronny ­ Geenen
125 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 30, 2012 23:55 |  #24

TETRAGRAMATON wrote in post #13754856 (external link)
Hello everyone I need help.

I think I'm having a problem, either it's me or my photography, two days before Christmas i lost my day job and I thought well it may be a good thing as I can start dedicating and working out my photography business. Since then I updated my website I printed business cards, I shot some new photographs to add to my portfolio, also added my websites to some free and payed directories like photographers.co.uk, I send emails to photo-agents but still nothing no emails no phone calls. It is the same with my wedding photography website that it's been running, now, for more than a year. As fellow photographers please give me some advice or point out what i'm doing wrong. I think that I'm having quiet realistic view about my photography and I think that isn't that bad.
These are my websites.
www.mirchevphotography​.com (external link)
www.wedding.mirchevpho​tography.com (external link).

You really have a problem. Both your websites have a lot of images, but seo ranking is more important and google is looking for words and not pictures.
Add to the pictures where they are taken.Tell a little story. What city or neighborhood. Did you took the pictures in a park. Describe that park and why you like to work there. Add about 2 blog articles to your website. A website has to be updated at least every week with an article. These subjects does not have to be a long and boring story.
People are searching the internet for certain subjects and you have to find out what they are looking for and write about it. Linking is also a very important part of a web.
I am in the process of building mine using wordpress, which I started learning by following webinars. Here is mine, look at it, because I try to cover many fields. Http://www.LetPictures​Talk.com (external link)

TETRAGRAMATON
THREAD ­ STARTER
117 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 31, 2012 02:36 as a reply to  @ post 13757479 |  #25

Yes guys I've noticed as well that all of the weddings I done so far were word of mouth kind of marketing. I got another friend who is suggesting me to narrow my field of photography to something very specific, he also gave me KPI book were the author talks about micro-niches. But still I don't kind of fill like this work well with the photography, or maybe do work. But yes I can see more marketing potential out of my concept photography than the Travel and the Street ones. But yes it seems like this is the trend now days to be specializing in something very specific. It looks like won't be an easy one ;)))) especially that I spend almost all of my money on a 3D courses, which will integrate well with the concept photography I do.
And yes there isn't much of an content on my website as what services I'm offering, I thought people will be looking for photographer in general and the website's job is to show some abilities ... but it seems that I've been wrong once again.
Personally I really like Peter Lik business model, it allows him to travel and do the photography he likes, but in his case it takes much more than just a website ;)))

London professional Portrait and Headshot photographer (external link)

john5189
598 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 02, 2012 13:51 |  #26

It is very difficult to meet brides to be. Shops wont promote you(they have a new wed photog in each week), bridal fairs are saturated and expensive and time consumming for the hits they generate.Google in London will be very expensive and the magazines are not cost effective.
Welcome to the hell of wedding photography. If you cover advertising and equipement costs in the first two years you are doing alright.
It takes time and word o mouth to spread. I built up steam and a portfolio by offering a big discount to entice(min wage and covering costs).
Wedding portfolio is a bit thin and you need to bulk it out with new galleries quickly.
as to your website, it is not obvious where you operate, this is main observation.
Also you have to offer packages like the competition. Brides DO want albums, and they can get all the photos these days though if you are offering a big starting up discount this wont matter.
Also it might be better if both photography branches where accessible from both sites, so the customer can see you are versatile, this might not be agreed with.
Also trim your galleries so that only the best shots are on display and get rid of duplication it bores the viewer(two pictures of Victoria embankment I think for example). And there are a few cliched shots that dont say YOU(airplane by skyscrapper)

Wedding Photography in Herefordshire.  (external link)

Edshropshire
316 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 03, 2012 15:13 |  #27

What is the purpose of your website?

This website seems very nice to show off some images but not to drive any business. What type of photography do you want to be paid for? Landscapes? Commercial? Portraits?

What are you prices? you have this on your wedding site.

Personally I think your landscapes are nice, but they really don't do a lot for your pursuit of clients. A few are nice to show skill, but you need more images to show your skill in creating commercial images.

You need to put yourself in the mind of the customer. Don't get caught up thinking art lovers are coming to your site to buy images. Think about who will be visiting your site and what type of images they need. Skill is great, but making it as a pro requires tons of business savvy.

5D MK2, 7D, 40D, 24-70 L, 70-200 f4 L, 85 1.8, 50 1.8, 28-135 IS, Sigma 15-30, Sigma 150-500, 580 MKII, 430 MKII, Alien Bees for studio work

shniks
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 03, 2012 16:24 |  #28

I loved your landscape and urban shots on your first website. But your wedding photos on the second website arent as good. There realy isnt enough posed shots with the amazing composition I expect from a wedding photographer. I also noticed some of your wedding pics have a slight HDR effect which doesnt really suit them, it gives them a very unnatural weird look. Eg the one of the bride and groom with the flower garden behind them in gallery 1, they look like they have been edited in and not actually standing there.

I say you have lots of potential but you need a few more 'wow' photos for your wedding portfolio. I would look at editing wedding photos in a different way. JMO.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 03, 2012 20:44 |  #29

AbPho wrote in post #13755676 (external link)
Everyone with a camera wants to start a photography business.

True. And people viewing photo websites are often just out to look at photos. People entering your booth at an art fair are more likely to buy because the fair is for the point of selling art.

People are more likely to contract with a photographer for a wedding as a referral instead of blindly surfing the internet for a photographer that appears to have nice photos. People know the internet is full of scams and can be leery to pay someone they dont know of a lot of money based upon a website where those photos may or may not be the photographer's - in the mind of the potential client.

J ­ Michael
972 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 04, 2012 15:59 |  #30

In one post you lamented being in London vs. a small town. There is a phrase you've probably heard "think globally, act locally", which you could probably use in a marketing context. I'm sure London is like other large cities made of of smaller communities. Start with one of those and go meet everyone who has anything to do with your target market in person. So if it's weddings it might be you go meet all the local florists, bakers, caterers, etc. Don't ask them for anything, just introduce yourself. If you shoot a job at which they do some work, take a shot of their work and drop a print off personally. The recommendations will come.

Glad you got the point about finding a niche. You could be the only guy that does large format B&W weddings, the only guy that shoots 3D weddings, etc. and word will get around that you are the go-to guy for that thing that has taken on an aura of "cool". Have fun with it.

sponsored links

7,201 views & 0 likes for this thread
What I'm doing wrong?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.