Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 26 Apr 2009 (Sunday) 14:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show Us Your RAW Conversions, BEFORE And AFTER

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 30, 2012 17:34 |  #4591

Hey gang!

I just ran across something pretty funny!

I'm not a Mac user, but I do occasionally like to Google things, and check out this thread in MacRumors.com:

http://forums.macrumor​s.com/showthread.php?t​=900718 (external link)

Compare it to the intro to this thread to see what's funny:)!

I guess we should feel, well, complimented:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links
tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 30, 2012 19:08 |  #4592

Here's (external link) another link you all may enjoy (and recognize some of:))!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,774 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 30, 2012 22:19 |  #4593

:) Heh, their thread started almost 1 year after this and lasted for 4 days and 17 posts then died! Congrats Tony, the success rate for this thread has been phenomenal ! :)

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 30, 2012 22:22 |  #4594

-Douglas- wrote in post #13797917 (external link)
:) Heh, their thread started almost 1 year after this and lasted for 4 days and 17 posts then died! Congrats Tony, the success rate for this thread has been phenomenal ! :)

Heh! I thought it was funny how much was word-for-word, and then how much was worded differently:)

I have to assume that the person who started that thread is a POTN member -- if you see this I hope you realize I wasn't putting it down, just got a chuckle from it!

But as to the success of this thread, it's all of you, the hundreds of you, who have made it the success that it is and it's still going strong!

Tony

mlech
305 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 31, 2012 04:32 |  #4595

Wow a lot of these examples I just viewed alone in the last 10 pages have convinced me about going RAW from now on.

With RAW it just seems like you are able to pull more out of the picture in terms of editing?

I always shot JPEG and processed in lightroom/photoshop.

FACEBOOK PAGE (external link)
FLICKR (external link)

JimAndersson
596 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 31, 2012 06:48 |  #4596

Subscribed!

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 31, 2012 09:39 |  #4597

mlech wrote in post #13799048 (external link)
Wow a lot of these examples I just viewed alone in the last 10 pages have convinced me about going RAW from now on.

With RAW it just seems like you are able to pull more out of the picture in terms of editing?

I always shot JPEG and processed in lightroom/photoshop.

Well, there are several advantages to shooting and working with the Raw format:

When the camera creates a jpeg, it uses your Picture Style, White Balance and other in-camera settings to render an image from the Raw data, then throws away "unused" data to bring the image "down" to an 8-bit-per-channel RGB jpeg. The Raw file, on the other hand, keeps all captured data, including highlight and shadow detail that would otherwise have been discarded, and a wide range of color and tonal data that would be lost in the jpeg conversion.

What this means is that in a Raw processor, you can "massage" the Raw data further than you can with a jpeg. You can "recover" highlight and shadow detail to a greater degree, and you can also shift the tones and colors of your images to a degree that you would not be able to with a jpeg without running into some "messy" results.

Also important is White Balance: with a Raw file WB has not been "applied" to an image. Rather, it is a bit of data stored into the file, and your Raw processor reads that data and then applies it to the image you are working with. But with Raw, you are free to change that around, since the underlying data has not been changed.

With a jpeg, the WB has been applied in the camera and the RGB values of the individual pixels have been "set" accordingly. What this means is that in you pp software, whether a Raw processor or an editor such as Photoshop, you don't have the free latitude to set a new White Balance or WB "values" without possibly "messing up" your image or needing to do "serious" graphical editing.

That's a lot of it in a "nutshell".

All that being said, jpegs can be quick and convenient when you have a scene that you can "nail" without needing the advantages of the Raw format. Plenty of good photogs are happy shooting jpegs, others shoot Raw+jpeg, others shoot jpegs for either work or, say, for family "snapshots" but know to switch to Raw for "serious" photography.

A great way to get a feel of things is to do some Raw+jpeg shooting and compare. Shoot a variety of scenes and conditions -- some with well-controlled lighting so you can "nail" the exposure and where Raw may not benefit you so much unless you really want to "mess with" the color balance, and then some scenes with a high "dynamic range" of highlights and shadows where the highlight, shadow, and the broader tonal adjustments possible with Raw could make a huge difference.

And, play with things like White Balance and RGB curves in your Raw processor, and in Lightroom you have the HSL sliders where you can "tweak" the Hue, Saturation and Luminance of individual colors.

Compare the Raw with the jpegs with all these things, and you can decide for yourself what works best with your photography!

Tony

JimAndersson
596 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 01, 2012 16:10 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #4598

I felt like contributing to this exeptionally good thread!

The green tint in the first image is because I've set my camera to universal white balance.

First image is as it looks when loaded in to Lightroom.

Second image is after global adjustments.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

JimAndersson
596 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 01, 2012 16:12 as a reply to  @ JimAndersson's post |  #4599

Third image is settings for the global adjustments.

Fourth image is after local adjustments (local exposure compensation).

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 01, 2012 21:25 |  #4600

Very nice, Jim, and so cool to see the UniWB at work! That's definitely an example of the "power of RAW"!!!

And cool that you could capture the girl/lady there in the light without here getting swamped by it!

Tony

JimAndersson
596 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 02, 2012 02:12 |  #4601

tonylong wrote in post #13810242 (external link)
Very nice, Jim, and so cool to see the UniWB at work! That's definitely an example of the "power of RAW"!!!

And cool that you could capture the girl/lady there in the light without here getting swamped by it!

I absolutely love RAW. The only place for JPEG in my photography is when taking snaps of my gear to show someone. ;)

Most of the washed out white in the center of the frame would have been salvagable to some extent if I wanted it. Thats pretty much why my girlfriend (the girl/lady) isn't swamped by it. I overexposed it but not ridicuolusly.

Usually I would have corrected the white balance, done an input sharpening and lens correction and then the rest in Photoshop.

chrisgerman1983
247 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 03, 2012 08:11 as a reply to  @ JimAndersson's post |  #4602

here is an underwater from Maui... shot with my G9.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 03, 2012 15:52 |  #4603

Nice Chris -- Settings?

Tony

rpaul
636 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 03, 2012 20:50 |  #4604

Feel like I haven't contributed here in a while. Playing around with my earliest RAWs (from the long lost days of last summer :rolleyes:) in LR4. Not the cleanest edit, but I'm mostly just playing with sliders.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

BEFORE

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

AFTER

IMAGE: http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/4219/weldonsettings.png
SETTINGS

Musician is Julia Weldon https://www.facebook.c​om/julia.weldon (external link)

Rob | rmpaul.com (external link)
Gear 'n Stuff (external link)
C&C always welcome

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 03, 2012 21:17 |  #4605

Rob, great job of pulling details out of those highlights!!

Tony

sponsored links

2,196,495 views & 221 likes for this thread
Show Us Your RAW Conversions, BEFORE And AFTER
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.