Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 01 Feb 2012 (Wednesday) 06:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Critique please

spurs73spurs
144 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 01, 2012 06:04 |  #1

I was asked recently to take some pictures at a friends wedding. I was really nervous as I prefer to shoot sport, and I had never done anything like this before. I am after some honest critique to see where I am at with my photography. I do not plan on doing anything like this again in the near future, but I never say never. So it would be nice to hear some honest truth.

Thank you in advance.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

1D X / 2x7D Gripped / EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM
EF 50mm f/1.8 ll / EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM / EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM / EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM
http://chriskelly.smug​mug.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
Plumtreelad
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 01, 2012 06:29 |  #2

If you want honesty, then I have to say that I do not like the backgrounds at all. Rusty shutters and brick walls do not do it for me.
White wedding dresses and black suits are bad enough but when you throw in a black car as well contrast will be a problem.
So, my advice would be to work on the environment for the photos as they make or break a potentially good picture of the event.

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)
david kissman photography (external link)

openingshok
60 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 01, 2012 15:38 |  #3

I like the urban grunge fell the BG gives. The second ones lighting is a little flat though. Reflectors are natural lights best friend.

Brian
Gear: A bag of goodies and some imagination

Randi
Goldmember
1,106 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 01, 2012 16:29 |  #4

If you notice, the skin tones in the first are completely different than in the second. The vignette in the first is quite strong, and I'm not super crazy about the composition or crop of either.

Canon 7D | Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 | Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 | Bower 85mm f/1.4 | EF 40mm f/2.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8 L | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L | 580 EX II | Manfrotto 190XB/496RC2
flickr  (external link)

jessica.nicole
27 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 01, 2012 17:03 |  #5

I agree with Randi and Openingshok. Vignette is too strong in my opinion-over powers the subjects. Second one is flat and needs some editing but love brick walls and antique settings!

Jessica.Nicole
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jessicablack/ (external link)

Ladybuggie
104 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 01, 2012 19:28 |  #6

Vignette is kinda bothering me too. On the 2nd pic, you should adjust the WB and on the 1st pic her dress shouldnt be behind the car. Hope that helps. :)

-> MY FEEDBACK (1)
-> MY FEEDBACK (2)
https://photography-on-the.net …=13911670&postc​ount=32388

spurs73spurs
THREAD ­ STARTER
144 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 01, 2012 22:17 |  #7

Thank you all for your replys, I have taken note of everything.

The location of these photos was chosen by the bride and groom as it has a meaning to them, and I do not know why. It would not have been my first choice either. The wedding was on a beach so I would have preferred to do photos there. I see what you mean about the Vignette, that was something I was recently taught at a club to highlight the subject of the photo. Maybe I might start the photos again and leave out the Vignette.

Thank you again for your comments, I really appreciate it.

1D X / 2x7D Gripped / EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM
EF 50mm f/1.8 ll / EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM / EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM / EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM
http://chriskelly.smug​mug.com/ (external link)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 02, 2012 22:58 |  #8

I'd go B+W for 1 to 'clean up' the background--it's actually a decent shot, though I'd also pull the vignette power down just a little !

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

Crocodile101
186 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 03, 2012 06:49 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

position matters, the groom looks like something growing in his head, pic 1, Pic2 , you did not focus on them or aperture was incorrect.

You don't take a photograph, you make it. Ansel Adams.

Crocodile101
186 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 03, 2012 06:50 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

pic 2 is blue cast, bring it down

You don't take a photograph, you make it. Ansel Adams.

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 04, 2012 13:33 |  #11

My uneducated opinion:

1) Crop both photos tighter

2) Blur the background

3) Loose vignetting

4) Lighten up faces in #2

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

huntingskeetman
103 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 07, 2012 21:08 |  #12

I agree with some of previous posts, too much background, crop a little tighter and be careful on background objects running into your subjects. On first photo, I would have gone for a lower camera angle looking up and from the left, it would have contrasted the couple against the brick and eliminated the rusty door. The ductwork in the middle of shot no.2 detracts from the overall photo, once again a tighter crop and having shot from a slightly left angle would have eliminated that.

GARY

Canon 60D, 15-85IS, 60 macro, 100-400 IS, 430 EX II

sponsored links

1,214 views & 0 likes for this thread
Critique please
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.