Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Feb 2011 (Sunday) 23:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

T3i / 600D Announced

ace_of_aces
52 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 25, 2012 11:29 as a reply to  @ post 13766045 |  #496

Here's a thread that's discussing using filters for shooting sunrise and sunsets.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=350557

sponsored links
smjbh5
92 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 27, 2012 12:21 |  #497

Hi all. I'm thinking of upgrading my rebel XT to either the T3i or the T2i. My question is that the price difference between the 2 is about $150, with the features the T3i has over the T2i, is it worth it?

jrherald420
223 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 31, 2012 14:34 |  #498

I have the same question, maybe someone will help out.

Canon Rebel T2i, Gripped, this and that.

adamfarl
100 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 01, 2012 11:47 |  #499

smjbh5 wrote in post #13778748 (external link)
Hi all. I'm thinking of upgrading my rebel XT to either the T3i or the T2i. My question is that the price difference between the 2 is about $150, with the features the T3i has over the T2i, is it worth it?

From what I have seen, the main difference is the articulating screen on the T3i. For shots above your head, or while shooting video, this can be a big bonus for some.

The T3i is a bit larger than the T2i and heavier but IMO the differences are pretty minor.

Image quality should be near identical as they use the same sensor.

The thing I would advise, if you can, is to wait a few more weeks to see if Canon announces the T4i, in which case the 2 and 3 should be cheaper as well. This is pretty much rumor at this point though, so you cant tell.

Bottom line for me is the articulating screen. Is it worth $150 more for that option? You have to make that call.

Canon 6D | Canon 50 1.4 | Sigma 150-500 | Canon 17-40L

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 05, 2012 12:14 |  #500

There's also wireless flash trigger and digital zoom in video. Also if you shop hard the difference is more like $100 or lees if you're lucky.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

TNNative
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 29, 2012 17:07 |  #501

Hi, Newbie on the site here....I've taken pictures for 40+ years and have occasionally gotten a good shot. I was asked to do a wedding this coming September so the better-half got me a T3i for Christmas to get some practice on my first Canon DSLR. It's my second DSLR (first was an Olympus Evolt 410 which I gave away to our son). I'm in the middle of online Photography classes, and am feeling a little more stressed trying to learn all the terminology and settings. This T3i is making me look like a better photographer than I really am. This board is making me realize that I am a LONG way from being the "pro" I'd really like to be.

Thanks for all the input...I'm learning as I go.

akoni144
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 01, 2012 02:04 |  #502

I LOVE MY t3i!!!!

Ishoot4fun
275 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 04, 2012 13:38 |  #503

Got my t3i about two weeks ago(first dslr) i am loving it.....

7d/T3i/70-200 f4/50mm f1.8/85 1.8/ 18-55/
430EXII/YN 560ii/

jtwong8
75 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 05, 2012 17:43 |  #504

t3i was my first too, great camera n good price

megawatz
124 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 08, 2012 14:44 |  #505

I love the digital zoom feature on mine. I just got it last week, and am already looking at mounts, mics, and the like. But as a starving (not litterally) college kit who makes just enough to get by, it's hard to keep spending any extra case when you've got a killer camera and a mustang ;)

Gear List
5∞px (external link)
My DIY dSLR Rigs Blog (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Indaco
43 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 11, 2012 16:15 |  #506

adamfarl wrote in post #13806871 (external link)
From what I have seen, the main difference is the articulating screen on the T3i. For shots above your head, or while shooting video, this can be a big bonus for some.

The T3i is a bit larger than the T2i and heavier but IMO the differences are pretty minor.

Image quality should be near identical as they use the same sensor.

The thing I would advise, if you can, is to wait a few more weeks to see if Canon announces the T4i, in which case the 2 and 3 should be cheaper as well. This is pretty much rumor at this point though, so you cant tell.

Bottom line for me is the articulating screen. Is it worth $150 more for that option? You have to make that call.

This was really helpful. After almost exclusively using my S95 for about a year, I started poking around for a new zoom lens, which then led to thoughts about upgrading from my XSi. I guess it's just back down the rabbit hole from here!

My 500px Page (external link)
Current cameras - Canon S110, T3i | Looking forward to a Sony a6300; I'm selling out!

megawatz
124 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 12, 2012 07:11 |  #507

plouffie wrote in post #14067852 (external link)
This was really helpful. After almost exclusively using my S95 for about a year, I started poking around for a new zoom lens, which then led to thoughts about upgrading from my XSi. I guess it's just back down the rabbit hole from here!

I bought my T3i off of Craigslist, and have used the articulated screen more than most would probably use it for. It's extremely nice to have that ability without having to buy a monitor (although, for pros, a monitor would still be worthy). But under budget, it's a nice touch. I don't mind the weight either, or the bigger size. The XSi was too small IMHO, and hard to keep in hand.

Gear List
5∞px (external link)
My DIY dSLR Rigs Blog (external link)
Flickr (external link)

tmartin110
46 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 12, 2012 08:54 as a reply to  @ megawatz's post |  #508

Just my two cents. I upgraded to a T3i from a Rebel XT. Having the swivel screen is nice for extended video recording. Especially when the camera is at a very low angle.

Haven't used the wireless flash function. So can't review that portion.

BasAndrews
Cream of the Crop
12,968 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 27, 2012 12:56 |  #509

The articulating screen has made a lot of difference to my macro shots. I can get the camera close to the bugs and still use the screen for focus. With zoom in live view I have had way more success than with other cameras in getting the odd shot in focus.

Bas (external link)

Indaco
43 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 28, 2012 14:36 |  #510

BasAndrews wrote in post #14163044 (external link)
The articulating screen has made a lot of difference to my macro shots. I can get the camera close to the bugs and still use the screen for focus. With zoom in live view I have had way more success than with other cameras in getting the odd shot in focus.

I just got mine yesterday and in my limited use so far, the articulating screen has been far more handy than I'd expected. The size of the camera, relative to my old XSi, is much easier to grip as well.

My 500px Page (external link)
Current cameras - Canon S110, T3i | Looking forward to a Sony a6300; I'm selling out!

sponsored links

126,843 views & 0 likes for this thread
T3i / 600D Announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.