Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 31 Jan 2012 (Tuesday) 19:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Oops - talk about a noisy experience

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 31, 2012 19:39 |  #1

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Forgot to check my settings first and took this picture ISO1600 with a Canon 7D and worked with noise reduction in DPP. I wanted to preserve as much detail as I could - too much noise reduction or not enough? I ended up feeling that it was at least cleaned up enough for my blog posts, but obviously it isn't something I can put on my photo site?

http://www.flickr.com …_lisajjohnson/6​798765383/ (external link)

(if I didn't get it done right here - I haven't done the photo in the forum in a long, long time)

I like to push buttons on thingies that take pictures. Sometimes I like to push other buttons, too.
I only bite on the second Tuesday of every week, usually only mean people - they kinda taste like chicken...
You can call me Wuzzi

sponsored links
Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 31, 2012 19:42 |  #2

Please post a photo.

Gear List

wuzzittoya
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 31, 2012 19:49 |  #3

Numenorean wrote in post #13803266 (external link)
Please post a photo.

I'm trying - when I use share from Flickr it isn't working and I can't find the one that showed me whatever step I'm missing... :-|

Okay - there - there she is. Sorry - it seems like my flickr was putting up the code three times in a row inside the links and was making things confused.

I like to push buttons on thingies that take pictures. Sometimes I like to push other buttons, too.
I only bite on the second Tuesday of every week, usually only mean people - they kinda taste like chicken...
You can call me Wuzzi

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 31, 2012 21:48 |  #4

I don't see the noise issue. It looks like the eye is sharp, though you could use with a bit more DOF for the rest of the bird.

Gear List

wuzzittoya
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 31, 2012 21:51 |  #5

Yes, I saw that - will have to change that next time I know I'll get them on the porch - I ran out there and just started shooting with the previous settings then looked down once it flew away (I get maybe five seconds when they get up there) and saw I'd taken the shots at ISO 1600 on a 7D and really kicked myself. Then looking at it after cleaning up what noise I did see I ended up noticing the DOF issue with the feet and lower feathers, though the head and eyes have been caught well, and realized that next time I'd better have it preset and waiting for the next opportunity! :)

Thank you! I worry that maybe I don't notice noise as well as others and so when I'm playing with noise sliders I always worry when I'm cautious with them that I might not be "catching enough" or worse, that maybe I'm pushing just too much, so I really was looking for that kind of feedback on this.

You can call me Wuzzi

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 31, 2012 21:57 |  #6

I can tell there is a bit of noise, but a bit of NR and it's fine - not hurting the image quality if that's the ISO you need to get the shot.

Gear List

wuzzittoya
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 31, 2012 22:01 |  #7

It wasn't - it was an accident. A problem with getting too much noise reduction on this kind of bird is there is a lot of detail to the skin on their faces and of course the feather pattern is what it is, so when I pushed the noise reduction farther I saw too much detail lost on the face and pulled it back. Granted, it wasn't the sunniest of days and to maintain a fast enough shutter speed (these are fast-moving and jittery birds) it probably may have had to have been over 400, and probably would have had to have been at least 400, but it didn't have to be 1600!

Like I said - I'll have to preset the camera tomorrow and hope they do it again. I would love to get some good pictures of them. The longer I have them the more interesting they are to me!

You can call me Wuzzi

tmoore323
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 01, 2012 13:06 |  #8

shame you cut off the foot, but otherwise it looks fine!

wuzzittoya
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 01, 2012 20:36 |  #9

There are others - I picked this one because I liked her position. Doggone things keep moving on you - need more practice to get good pics of my guineas!

I was most interested in looking at whether or not the noise was improved greatly. Was really disappointed to have taken it with so much noise. :(

You can call me Wuzzi

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,923 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Feb 01, 2012 21:08 |  #10

Would you be able to go into your Flickr account settings/preferences and enable the EXIF data display? It would be nice to see all of the EXIF so that we can know exactly what all was going on, inasmuch as settings are concerned.
Thanks!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

wuzzittoya
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 01, 2012 21:46 |  #11

Okay - I did for this. I just really wanted to see if I had done a good try on reducing noise since I haven't done that much with the 7D yet. Someone DID refer me to the thread on the 7D and managing noise with it and it was very informative. Planning to take high ISO images on purpose now to practice the technique! :)

You can call me Wuzzi

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,444 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Feb 01, 2012 23:33 |  #12

wuzzittoya wrote in post #13810358 (external link)
Okay - I did for this. I just really wanted to see if I had done a good try on reducing noise since I haven't done that much with the 7D yet. SKYGOD44 DID refer me to the thread on the 7D and managing noise with it and it was very informative. Planning to take high ISO images on purpose now to practice the technique! :)

Changed it for you :p
And for anyone else who uses the 7D but is unsure of how to process high ISO to the best effect, here's a link to TeamSpeed's excellent thread.
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1079217
Oh and @Wuzzi, I would also say that this is an excellent example of why we should worry abotu high ISO with the 7D, as long as the exposure isn't under-done.
Cheers for now,
Simon

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

wuzzittoya
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 02, 2012 06:36 |  #13

skygod44 wrote in post #13810856 (external link)
Changed it for you :p
And for anyone else who uses the 7D but is unsure of how to process high ISO to the best effect, here's a link to TeamSpeed's excellent thread.
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1079217
Oh and @Wuzzi, I would also say that this is an excellent example of why we should worry abotu high ISO with the 7D, as long as the exposure isn't under-done.
Cheers for now,
Simon

Yes, sir. I'll have to remember to be more specific.

Just curious - is this an example of why we SHOULD worry about high ISOs with the 7D's reputation or is it an example of why you don't have to worry about high ISO with the 7D as long as the image is not under-exposed?

I have to admit it never occurred to me to over-expose since it blows highlights so bad and can create un-recoverable areas. I guess if you DO end up with issues like that you could always do bracketed exposures so you have better shadow detail, noise reduction on all and then run it as an HDR if you REALLY are worried about it...

You can call me Wuzzi

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 02, 2012 06:46 |  #14

You never blow highlights. You just expose as far to the right of the histogram as you can WITHOUT blowing those highlights. But I will admit that it is difficult when you are shooting birds in changing lighting conditions to always get the exposure right by checking your histogram - sometimes in the hectic of the shoot you just forget.
It would be nice if the 7D were a little more forgiving in the noise department.

wuzzittoya
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 02, 2012 06:58 |  #15

Thank you 5DManiac - have you ever attempted something like guinea fowl? Actually, you'd think tame birds are easy, but since mine have been hand-tamed (which means regularly hand fed treats by me, who is also their ONLY care-giver), usually the chickens either run from the camera or come up and attempt to eat it, both of which make image capture difficult. On guineas they are very wild birds, even domesticated, and though mine come up to me quite a bit (within a few feet) and three of them will now eat from my hand if the food is tempting enough and all the other birds are doing it, trying to get the cute image capture of them roosting on my front porch has been almost impossible - as soon as the door opens they're standing up and flying away. :(

I've had better luck with cardinals lured in by a bird feeder so far than the silly guineas! ;)

Mostly this got posted because of the 7D's noise reputation and trying to recover the shot - I wanted other eyes to look at the noise and see if I was being effective in trying to reduce it while still maintaining the detail on the guinea's head, etc.

You can call me Wuzzi

sponsored links

2,684 views & 0 likes for this thread
Oops - talk about a noisy experience
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.