Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Feb 2012 (Thursday) 13:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What's the silliest thing you've heard about gear?

mcowens
188 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 03, 2012 00:25 |  #91

lol i know i am half and half typing lol

Canon 50D Griped, Canon 7D, Sigma 10-20F/4-5.6, Canon 17-40F/4L, Canon 50F/1.4, Canon 70-200F/4L Canon 580EXii, 430EXii, Manfrotto 679B MonoPod, some old decent tripod, GaryFong, Umbrellas,Wireless flash triggers, Studio Back Drop/Flash Stands........

sponsored links
LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 03, 2012 00:25 |  #92

Meh...whatever...maybe he didn't need a tripod for that shot and was simply too lazy to remove it...

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

Erik_L
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 03, 2012 00:28 |  #93

LowriderS10 wrote in post #13816933 (external link)
Meh...whatever...maybe he didn't need a tripod for that shot and was simply too lazy to remove it...

Nope. I it was attached to the camera all day as he walked about - it just dangled there most of the time :)

Canon EOS 1D III
Manfrotto 190X Pro B w/324RC2 "Action Head" | Canon 580EX II
Sigma 20 f/1.8 | Canon 35 f/1.4 L | Sigma 50 f/1.4 | Sigma 85 f/1.4 | Canon 135 f/2 L
Flick (external link)r

mcowens
188 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 03, 2012 00:29 |  #94

no clue but very stupid, then his wife came over and asked where is the camera he was like i showed this guy how tough it was. she like huh, he said its at the bottom of the lake now. never seen a girl try to break the ice open more looked like she was gonna dive in for it true story i left crying lol cause i would die for that lens

Canon 50D Griped, Canon 7D, Sigma 10-20F/4-5.6, Canon 17-40F/4L, Canon 50F/1.4, Canon 70-200F/4L Canon 580EXii, 430EXii, Manfrotto 679B MonoPod, some old decent tripod, GaryFong, Umbrellas,Wireless flash triggers, Studio Back Drop/Flash Stands........

Tom ­ Reichner
Cream of the Crop
15,654 posts
Gallery: 170 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Feb 03, 2012 00:44 |  #95

silliest thing said:

jhayesvw wrote in post #13815228 (external link)
. . . on it I'd they disnt look thry would . . .

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 03, 2012 00:45 |  #96

Erik_L wrote in post #13816945 (external link)
Nope. I it was attached to the camera all day as he walked about - it just dangled there most of the time :)

That is odd...

but if it didn't effect his shots, it's not all together stupid (aside from how it looked).

My guess, is it was just how he chose to carry the tripod around. If he didn't keep it attached to the camera, he would have had to hold it all day (or carry something else to accommodate the tripod).

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

WARAT
Goldmember
1,190 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 03, 2012 00:48 |  #97

LowriderS10 wrote in post #13816933 (external link)

his situation isn't that bad. THe guy I was talking about had the tripod fully extended while his camera is hanging around his neck as if a DSLR with tripod is the new bling.

CANON 5D3 [35 L] [70-200 mm MKII] [50 mm 1.4]

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 03, 2012 00:48 |  #98

jhayesvw wrote in post #13815228 (external link)
Being a 60d and a rebel t1i owner my favorite is " plastic cameras are cheap and break easily" or anythung like that.
I bet if I put a 50d, 7d, and 60d in somebody's hand with a decent lens on it I'd they disnt look thry would have a hard time telling the difference.

None of those are cheep cameras. I mean a 10D and a 5DII in the hand feels about the same.

Try a t3i, and I bet you get different results.

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 03, 2012 00:54 |  #99

WARAT wrote in post #13816784 (external link)
A guy at a car event was holding his D90 and kept talking about how to get good angle and stuff. He has his camera hanging around his neck with the tripod connected to it in broad day light. He further explained how he needed the tripod to do long exposures at high noon with an iso of 1600.

I thought I was being punked.

That's pretty funny! I can't blame you for suspecting that he was pulling a "fast one"!

jaszek wrote in post #13816796 (external link)
I was at an aquarium, with my XSi and I had a battery grip on it. This old guy comes up to me, points at my camera. "Nice camera", I reply "Thanks". He then points at the grip, asking "Is that an add on film winder to make it wind faster?". I just said that it is just that.

Pretty funny, except when you realize that someone who hasn't been "integrated" into the DSLR world but was familiar with "active" SLR photography could very understandably guess that!

mafoo wrote in post #13816883 (external link)
Would one use that setup for anything outside of studio work? Very cool by the way.

Medium Frame cameras are used for a whole number of things. Think of huge landscape/scenic prints, or even a big poster in a store that just jumps out at you...you pretty much know it's MF!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Neil ­ B
Goldmember
1,379 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 03, 2012 01:10 |  #100

drewjoseph wrote in post #13813740 (external link)
I figured this has been asked before but I thought it'd be fun to have another go around.

While shooting an event last weekend I was asked about my camera (5Dmk2).

The person was rabidly anti Canon and described herself as a pro... I'm not pro or anti Canon/Nikon... I view them as quite comparable. So I wasn't about to start a fight but did mention I liked my 5D's high ISO abilities.

That's when it happened. She told me what she liked most about Nikon's "They don't have ISO".

Smiled and walked away.

CLASSIC bw!

Website  (external link)Twitter (external link) Tumblr (external link) Facebook (external link)500px (external link)

mrrikki
909 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 03, 2012 01:18 |  #101

mafoo wrote in post #13816320 (external link)
This is a lie.. it has to be....

When a girl that dumb sits next to you, you don't move over a seat.

Dam you just made me laugh out loud on a packed train!

GEAR: Canon 7D Mark II, 7D & 6D Lenses: Canon 300 f2.8 L IS, 70-200 f2.8 L, 24-105 L, Canon 50mm f1.8 & Sigma 1.4x Converter.
Website www.rmtphotos.co.uk (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,065 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 03, 2012 01:33 |  #102

Went into Frys, one time, for a CF card. Since my camera wasn't UDMA capable, I didn't need a 'fast' card, by any means...but the electronics monkey INSISTED that I should get the faster card "because it will make your photos look better".

Walked out; haven't been back. :|

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

OrangeImaging
341 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 03, 2012 02:53 as a reply to  @ Snydremark's post |  #103
bannedPermanent ban

WARAT wrote in post #13816784 (external link)
A guy at a car event was holding his D90 and kept talking about how to get good angle and stuff. He has his camera hanging around his neck with the tripod connected to it in broad day light. He further explained how he needed the tripod to do long exposures at high noon with an iso of 1600.

I thought I was being punked.

Musta been mad stacking those ND filters!

;)

Flickr (external link)
Gear

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 03, 2012 05:45 |  #104

mcowens wrote in post #13816828 (external link)
at our winter festival i was shooting the racing on ice and a guy came up and asked me is that camera tough i was like yea i guess so he showed me his which was a rebel xsi with a 400f/2.8 and said his been through hell and back i was like wow thats good and then he said watch and showed me how tough it was by throwing it on the ice and bye bye camera its now on the bottom of the lake with a 6k lens attached no clue if he was F'ed in the head or just had money like that

I had to check where you are - one of the times I was looking for things about how tough Rebels are looking for specific YouTube videos about some guy that sets one on fire (and then the shutter still works - doesn't mean the rest of the camera is functional? w/e) - found a new article about one that was found in some lake somewhere during a dive and returned to the owner. Camera was hosed by they actually got the memory card recovered... For a second I wondered if it was the same camera! :lol:

If I were his wife I would have dove in the lake after it, come out with it and beat him senseless with it. :-|

I like to push buttons on thingies that take pictures. Sometimes I like to push other buttons, too.
I only bite on the second Tuesday of every week, usually only mean people - they kinda taste like chicken...
You can call me Wuzzi

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 03, 2012 05:57 |  #105

rral22 wrote in post #13814974 (external link)
Silliest thing I've heard about gear, was a bunch of photographers sitting around stroking their inferiority complexes by telling stories about their superior knowledge of gear.

I dunno - maybe I have an inferiority complex... Most of what has been said here is basic knowledge of camera gear, not "superior." You would expect someone to know what a lens is, that throwing your camera onto ice is absolutely senseless, etc. This, to me, was more of a thread about some of the general idiocy of humanity in general. Sometimes we just have our "oops I wasn't thinking moments" and other times you just run across this person who has absolutely no clue... and well, you very kindly attempt to educate them if possible (wasn't possible with the camera guy, so I kept my mouth shut while debating if I wanted to buy any of the many used film cameras he had... so tempting!) but can't help but laugh about it a little later. Seriously - most people looking at a DSLR and lens kit would, after seeing the picture on the front of the box, realize that maybe some assembly was required. That's just common sense... :lol:

I like to push buttons on thingies that take pictures. Sometimes I like to push other buttons, too.
I only bite on the second Tuesday of every week, usually only mean people - they kinda taste like chicken...
You can call me Wuzzi

sponsored links

80,145 views & 0 likes for this thread
What's the silliest thing you've heard about gear?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.