Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 30 Jan 2012 (Monday) 17:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Backpack with Minimal

cdo221
560 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 30, 2012 17:14 |  #1

Hi all,

I've been shopping around for a new bag, specifically a backpack this time with at least 2 straps, and ideally some chest/waist straps as well. My main concern is lookign for a bag that isn't super thick with padding, but rather just thin, thin, dividers to keep the camera from bouncing around. I'm currently using a Think Thank Retro 30 and I like that it's thin without thick padding, just dividers to keep the gear from scratching each other.

The purpose of this bag will be for traveling and should be able to carry at max a 5D + 70-200L f/4 + 17-40L plus water, snacks, light jacket. Any ideas? It seems all the backpacks out there are dedicated camera bags that are super padded, which results in big bags with little storage room..As long as the camera is snug and isn't shifting around, I'm good. Can't stress enough that padding is optional, just dividers! Think the size/style/padding of the Retro 30, but with two straps for comfort on long hikes/walks/tours!

A tripod holder would be nice too but not necessary.

Thank you for any suggestions you all might have :)

Feedback and Gear

sponsored links
AVService
276 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 30, 2012 18:35 |  #2

Take a look at this one

http://www.tombihn.com​/page/001/PROD/100/TB0​110 (external link)

I have been using one for about a year and I am always amazed at its versatility and capacity.

It will easily hold the body and a lens in the main compartment along with a lot of other stuff.
The 70-200 will slide right into the front water bottle pocket and it rides in there nicely and the 17-40 wold go in either side pocket like it is made for it.

Along with that gear there is still an amazing amount of room left over and the best part is that it is divided inside but rarely bulges outside.

The quality and construction is great too.

I also bought a small photo insert that goes in the main compartment and then I can get a lot more gear in there than I really want to and nicely protected too.

I have had a 13" MBP and an 11" Air and an iPad in there and a 40D with a few lenses and still had room.

It does not look like a camera bag either.

Ed

7D | 40Dx2 | 17-55 2.8 | 70-200 2.8L | 10-22 | 24-70 2.8L | 550EX | 430EX | Too Many Bags!

gocolts
Goldmember
1,246 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 30, 2012 18:51 |  #3

I posted this awhile back, but I created my own hiking/camera bag, combining these two items, which leaves a separate compartment in the bottom for a small lunch sack cooler to hold 6 beer cans/bottles of water. I can fit my 7D, 400 5.6L, 70-200MKII, and 15-85 in here, along with various TC's and other gear. Plenty of ways to easily strap on a monopod/tripod via utilization of one of the side pockets, and fits easily in an overhead bin on an airplane.

This bag-
http://www.backcountry​edge.com/deute...a-32-2011.aspx (external link)

This insert-
http://www.amazon.com/​gp/product/B003LBFWV2 (external link)

Has gone on some insane hikes (Half Dome in Yosemite, Angels Landing, etc.), as well as been worn at various racetracks in 100 degree weather. Works great, and is a real hiking bag by a company that's been doing them forever. I was just finding the ones made for cameras didn't fit the way a hiking bag is supposed to fit.

thedge
417 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 30, 2012 21:27 |  #4

Photosport 200AW maybe? I like it for hiking. Not much for carring large lenses or lots of gear but might be what youre looking for.

http://products.lowepr​o.com …Sport%20200%20A​W,2271.htm (external link)

7D - 100-400 L, Sigma 28, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 31, 2012 04:30 |  #5

Check out the f-stop guru in my sig :) perfect for that sort of stuff, and you can just get it with a small ICU which leaves a load of space for other storage.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 31, 2012 09:05 |  #6

You should look at the Thinktank Shapeshifter

http://www.thinktankph​oto.com …ape-shifter-backpack.aspx (external link)

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

beachbum2277
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 03, 2012 08:16 |  #7

gocolts, this was a bad link. what was the name of the pack you have? I believe it's a deuter but which model? I think you and I did the same thing by taking an actual hiking pack and putting a camera pod in it. I own the Osprey Talon 44 for my day hiking with my gear as well as I won an Osprey Aether 85 for the times I need to carry my photo gear as well as a couple of nights worth of camping gear. I like the camera pod you listed. I use a f-stop pod but I'm looking for a little more padding on the pod itself.

Bryan Docter Fine Art Photography - www.bd-photos.com (external link)

My Gear

sponsored links

1,364 views & 0 likes for this thread
Backpack with Minimal
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.