Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 02 Feb 2012 (Thursday) 20:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

LR3 blurry images in grid view during import?

coeng
980 posts
Joined Nov 2002

Feb 02, 2012 20:54 |  #1

Newbie to LR3. I just created a catalog and was about to import some sample images when I noticed that the RAW files in grid view are all blurry. When I switch to loupe view they look fine. Am I doing something wrong?

5D2, 600 EX-RT, STE-3, 24-70L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 02, 2012 21:05 |  #2

coeng wrote in post #13816048 (external link)
Newbie to LR3. I just created a catalog and was about to import some sample images when I noticed that the RAW files in grid view are all blurry. When I switch to loupe view they look fine. Am I doing something wrong?

Well, I really don't look to grid view or even the Library module to check sharpness. I'll quickly click through shots in the Develop module. If images look bad in Full Screen mode I'll Reject it with an "X" flag. Otherwise after I dump the Rejects I'll go back over them for a closer look.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

coeng
THREAD ­ STARTER
980 posts
Joined Nov 2002

Feb 02, 2012 21:09 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #3

I was planning on culling before doing an import. If the thumbnails are blurry how can you do this? The reason I want to cull before importing is that I noticed when you delete photos from within a catalog, it doesn't delete the RAW files it was referencing, only the references to those RAW files. This will result in wasted disk space, won't it?

coeng
THREAD ­ STARTER
980 posts
Joined Nov 2002

Feb 02, 2012 21:13 as a reply to  @ coeng's post |  #4

Seems like this is expected behavior?

http://forums.adobe.co​m/message/2892410 (external link)

coeng
THREAD ­ STARTER
980 posts
Joined Nov 2002

Feb 02, 2012 21:38 |  #5

coeng wrote in post #13816123 (external link)
I was planning on culling before doing an import. If the thumbnails are blurry how can you do this? The reason I want to cull before importing is that I noticed when you delete photos from within a catalog, it doesn't delete the RAW files it was referencing, only the references to those RAW files. This will result in wasted disk space, won't it?

I take that back...you can delete the actual RAW files when removing a file from the catalog.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 02, 2012 21:45 |  #6

coeng wrote in post #13816256 (external link)
I take that back...you can delete the actual RAW files when removing a file from the catalog.

Yes you can! Much better to Delete From Disk if it's a lousy photo!

As far as the import previews, have you tried enlarging them somewhat? Even though I never do this, others have said that the image previews when importing have improved, making "selective" culling easier.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,491 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 03, 2012 04:06 |  #7

Do you mean the grid view on the Import page? You are right, the thumbnails are terrible, but you are lucky you didn't know LR2, where they were even worse. Apparently the original idea was that you should dump the entire contents of the card onto your HD and then in Library delete the stinkers. I never cared for this, preferring to examine the images while they were on the card and downloading only what I wanted, so I formed the habit of reviewing the card first in Breeze Browser Pro, which has the added advantage of being able to put up to four images on screen together for comparison. BBP will then launch LR where the designated files are already checkmarked on the Import page. Although the quality of the thumbs is better in LR3 and the loupe view was added (which LR2 didn't have) I have retained my old habit and always start with BBP.

Elie / אלי

LARAB
73 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 03, 2012 08:21 |  #8

Deleting photos based on minimal LR3 previews is a bad idea, you may be trashing photos you might otherwise keep. My understanding is that LR3 builds jpeg previews based on user input, i.e. minimal, standard, 1:1. In the import dialog mode under file handling you have the option to select preview size. 1:1 will slow the import process, I usually use standard and then let LR build a 1:1 when I zoom in.

-Brian

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,313 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 03, 2012 10:12 |  #9

You can set Edit, Catalog Settings, File Handlilng tab, Standard Preview Size selection to different numbers of pixels in the preview, and you can set Edit, Catalog Settings, File Handlilng tab, Preview Quality to differing levels. This affects the default settings during Import.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

1,175 views & 0 likes for this thread
LR3 blurry images in grid view during import?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.