Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Feb 2012 (Thursday) 13:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

What's the silliest thing you've heard about gear?

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 03, 2012 11:20 |  #136

h4ppydaze wrote in post #13819067 (external link)
For what it is, it's an excellent camera IMO.

I thought Army's standard issue camera was a Nikon... D700?

Yup. Once you see the huge negatives, there's almost no going back, is there? ;)

I think it's DOD wide for nikon cameras.

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 03, 2012 11:22 |  #137
bannedPermanent ban

KhaledA wrote in post #13818598 (external link)
I had a talk with a 30 year pro in wedding photography: he told me that bounce flash is a waste of power, and that the build in flash is great for portraits. And that the 1Ds is a lame camera because it doesn't have a build in flash.

I slowly walked away O_O

If he has been a pro for 30 years and still earns his living doing what works for him, who are you to argue? There are many ways to skin the same cat...some have perfected their own methods. Being a pro in any business for 30 years must say something about his skills.

JPLaval
173 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 03, 2012 11:43 |  #138

Hogloff wrote in post #13819096 (external link)
If he has been a pro for 30 years and still earns his living doing what works for him, who are you to argue? There are many ways to skin the same cat...some have perfected their own methods. Being a pro in any business for 30 years must say something about his skills.

Yep, I would have to say he was "old school"

-JP-
"Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... It remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything". ~ Aaron Siskind

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,111 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 03, 2012 11:57 |  #139

"The 5Dmk2 is packed with technology. It's stupid to NOT take advantage of it and using the designed Auto feature (Auto Mode/Green Box)."
I got this from a 30+ years, Professional Photographer who has a home studio with full studio gears and L lens.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

h4ppydaze
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 03, 2012 11:58 |  #140

I hope in 30 years I'm able to change with the times and not be a total idiot.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 03, 2012 12:10 |  #141
bannedPermanent ban

h4ppydaze wrote in post #13819310 (external link)

There are many "young" photographers not making it in the business...all equipped with the latest cameras and lenses and "updated" techniques. They are missing one big thing...that is the piece of grey matter between their ears.

I would choose your words more wisely here. You just might be showing us all who the true idiot is.

JPLaval
173 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 03, 2012 12:14 |  #142

h4ppydaze wrote in post #13819310 (external link)

I wouldn't say he was an "idiot". Its just how hes been going about doing it the majority of his career. Its always hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Let alone someone that has been doing it for 30 plus years the same way or style.

-JP-
"Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... It remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything". ~ Aaron Siskind

h4ppydaze
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 03, 2012 12:28 |  #143

Hogloff wrote in post #13819375 (external link)
There are many "young" photographers not making it in the business...all equipped with the latest cameras and lenses and "updated" techniques. They are missing one big thing...that is the piece of grey matter between their ears.

I would choose your words more wisely here. You just might be showing us all who the true idiot is.

Yea no sh!t. But keeping up with the times is crucial, and don't insinuate that I'm an idiot. I have better sensibility than to take crap photos. I use 30+ year old analog equipment as well as modern equipment. Who cares about 30 years of experience when you can't keep up with photography and stay relevant?

JPLaval wrote in post #13819398 (external link)
I wouldn't say he was an "idiot". Its just how hes been going about doing it the majority of his career. Its always hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Let alone someone that has been doing it for 30 plus years the same way or style.

Right, but bounce flash is not a new thing. I mean if you can't tell the improved light quality from just looking at the photos... I don't know if visual art was ever his true calling. I agree 'idiot' is a little harsh but I was saying that in 30 years, I personally don't want to look like an idiot to others.

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 03, 2012 12:39 as a reply to  @ h4ppydaze's post |  #144

mafoo wrote in post #13818736 (external link)
http://www.gottabemobi​le.com …le-photos-are-impressive/ (external link)

They are told it's a good camera for a phone. And it is. Very good. In fact Apple is one of the only phone manufacturers that when talking about why there camera is good, talk about f-stops, and the advantages of quality of light over pixel density.

h4ppydaze wrote in post #13819067 (external link)
For what it is, it's an excellent camera IMO....

Yeah, the iSheep.... THOSE are people worth making fun of! ;)

Seriously, people ignore the "for a phone" part and just believe the "very good" part. That is where they are. My 10 year old P&S does a better job, but that is not possible because it has fewer MP and does not have a bitten fruit logo. People believe what they are led to believe, and the iSheep are especially set in their beliefs.

BTW, "one of the only" is nonsense. It is either "one of the few" or "the only".

Tom

KhaledA
211 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 03, 2012 12:50 |  #145

h4ppydaze wrote in post #13819494 (external link)
Yea no sh!t. But keeping up with the times is crucial, and don't insinuate that I'm an idiot. I have better sensibility than to take crap photos. I use 30+ year old analog equipment as well as modern equipment. Who cares about 30 years of experience when you can't keep up with photography and stay relevant?

Right, but bounce flash is not a new thing. I mean if you can't tell the improved light quality from just looking at the photos... I don't know if visual art was ever his true calling. I agree 'idiot' is a little harsh but I was saying that in 30 years, I personally don't want to look like an idiot to others.

This.
Being old school is fine, but shouldn't someone who's been in the industry read about the new techniques at least and see what works? well, I guess it's no wonder I get more weddings as a side job than he does as full job.

My gallery (external link)

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 03, 2012 12:50 |  #146

DwainRowe wrote in post #13818777 (external link)
Careful!

The letter "a" has more than one use, also. One of those is to spell "cheap" correctly.

People who live in glass houses, and all... :)

Dwain

lol, I know I can't spell. I usually edit every one of my posts 2-3 times. I have a severe case of Dyslexia, and as a result, it makes spelling difficult.

I spell poorly because I can't spell correctly. He didn't use periods because he chose not to. I think he undersands where they go, and why.

Also, it's why I ended it with a smiley face.

P.S. This small post had 8 misspelled words when I was done with it. Probably corrected one or two wrong. (lol, and this sentence had 3)

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

tovarish
317 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 03, 2012 12:55 |  #147

BryantFC wrote in post #13818914 (external link)
Seriously? I didn't rule him out or made fun of him. The thread does say "silliest" thing you've heard. All I said to him was oh, no it doesn't zoom since its a fixed length and he was like oh ok.

Chill the heck out.

Well I suppose my point was that it's not a silly question coming from a kid. It's just a question. It would be a silly question coming from a 30-year pro and perhaps then it would have been funny or contributory to this thread. If my 4-year-old asks me where babies come from, it just a question, not a stupid question. Now when a 17-year-old girl in my law class asks me if babies come out of your butt hole (true story) THAT's a stupid question. And we wonder why there are so many teen pregnancies.

Flickr (external link)

downs523
130 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 03, 2012 12:57 |  #148

Russo09 wrote in post #13815960 (external link)
Pretty much relevant...

Sitting in my photography class in school, girl comes in and sits next to me asking what the long thing on my camera was. I told her it was a lens, she goes "Oh we needed that? I threw mine out with the box"

I moved over a seat.

the best so far!!!! ahahahaha

Canon 70d, Canon 85mm f1.8, Sigma 17-50mm f2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC.

Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 03, 2012 13:04 |  #149

mike_311 wrote in post #13817699 (external link)
you do if she's ugly.

Has that stopped you in the past .. maybe you should carry a paper bag in your pocket ;)

My Gear List  :p

markol
841 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 03, 2012 13:05 |  #150

Where to begin.... :D

www.borrowlenses.com (external link)

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

90,355 views & 0 likes for this thread, 206 members have posted to it and it is followed by 4 members.
What's the silliest thing you've heard about gear?
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.