Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Jan 2012 (Tuesday) 18:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D worth it for photography only?

twoshadows
Liquid Nitrogen
6,730 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 31, 2012 12:00 |  #61

dfbovey wrote in post #13799793 (external link)
I bought the 7D for the auto focus system, knowing I'd be mostly using it for nature/wildlife/birdin​g. I'd think the only other camera in Canon's current line up that would be better for this purpose is a 1D4. But if you're on a budget the 7D is the best option if this is what you shoot. It's far better than the 50D for what I shoot. And that's why I bought it.

I'd add the 1DmkIII to the "better for this purpose" list as well. ;)

Apprentice sought (Las Vegas)
xgender.net (external link) Miss Julia Grey (she/her/Miss)
Bodies: Canon 5DII-x2, 5D, 20D-x2
Lenses: 12-24 24tse II, 28/2, 28-80, 28-85, 28-105 II, 28-210, 35 pc, sweet35, edge50, 50/1.8, 50/1.8, 50/2.8, 55 macro, 55/1.2, 60-300, 75-150/4, 85/1.8, 135/2.5, 200/4, 300/5.6, SP 2X TC.

sponsored links
dfbovey
Goldmember
1,602 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 31, 2012 12:08 |  #62

twoshadows wrote in post #13800661 (external link)
I'd add the 1DmkIII to the "better for this purpose" list as well. ;)

Yup, the larger file size for cropping purposes is the only advantage the 7D has over the MarkIII. I'd give the MarkIII the advantage but there are instances where the 7D would be beneficial. Files are almost twice as large.

Flickr (external link)
Canon 1D markIV - Canon 1D markIII - Canon 6D
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS - Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L - Canon EF 500mm f/4L

hennie
Goldmember
1,251 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 31, 2012 12:26 |  #63

I use mine for photography only, and yes getting is was worthwile for me.

But why is this topic in the lenses section and not in the camera section?

jarrot28
62 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 31, 2012 12:27 as a reply to  @ post 13762806 |  #64

I use one and it's great compared to 5D you will notice a significant crop factor.

Capture the moment bw!
http://picasaweb.googl​e.com/jsta28 (external link)
http://www.jflystudios​.com/ (external link)
Gear List

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 31, 2012 12:43 |  #65

hennie wrote in post #13800785 (external link)
...But why is this topic in the lenses section and not in the camera section?

Probably to balance out all the lens threads in the camera section. :D

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

hennie
Goldmember
1,251 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 31, 2012 12:44 |  #66

Veemac wrote in post #13800867 (external link)
Probably to balance out all the lens threads in the camera section. :D

bw!

Maxxum5
345 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 31, 2012 19:25 |  #67

mcowens wrote in post #13797578 (external link)
here is a sample vid i shot with my 7d when i was in the NYC
http://youtu.be/nFdVTH​PONRo (external link)

Great video! Thanks for sharing. Some wicked talent that defies the laws of physics. If I ever tried that stuff, you'd be taking photos of me in a stretcher. Hahahaha.....

I miss NY!

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,355 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 03, 2012 20:28 |  #68

twoshadows wrote in post #13800656 (external link)
I read too many stories from competent users that make me think otherwise (myself included). When the camera's AF works the 7d on the whole is spectacular, especially for the price. Unless you shoot a lot at high ISOs, but that's not a strong point for any 1.6x cropper...

+1, Some people are too quick to dismiss ANY problem as "Oh its user error" I had my share of complaints and problems with the 7D's AF, Using it as stated by Canon and all the bloody articles out there(And how i used my old cameras mind..) and I still got the "USER ERROR" and lectured at like im a bloody moron...

Is some of it user error?? Yes... but when you get people like me or twoshadows or others who have shot a wide variety of cameras and shot thousands of images, its a bit less likely

The best way I've come to describe the 7D's AF is "Finicky" very...very finicky.... and perhaps tuned a bit too much towards speed applications at the expense of precision applications

Most of my biggest complaints would be solved by simply making the points substantially smaller, Even Spot AF's points and what its considering for the AF calculations are WAY too large compared to the xxD cameras and the 1-series in my opinion

FWIW, I still love my 7D and I still like the AF, Just think its far from perfect and could use some improvements

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,598 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 03, 2012 21:13 |  #69

would rather go with a 5d for photo purpose.. definitely wont spend the extra for a 7d

Gearlist

No ­ Angle
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 04, 2012 00:13 |  #70

I just got the 7D and I like but you are right that the focus points are a little too large and they do not go away after the focus is set. It woudl be nice if they would drop out after you hit the focus or just had them be smaller. I use the Spot focus and have found the spot + expansion to work well for certain things like BIF with just sky in the back. I do like the body though. It just feels better than my T2i in every way.

KenjiS wrote in post #13821864 (external link)
+1, Some people are too quick to dismiss ANY problem as "Oh its user error" I had my share of complaints and problems with the 7D's AF, Using it as stated by Canon and all the bloody articles out there(And how i used my old cameras mind..) and I still got the "USER ERROR" and lectured at like im a bloody moron...

Is some of it user error?? Yes... but when you get people like me or twoshadows or others who have shot a wide variety of cameras and shot thousands of images, its a bit less likely

The best way I've come to describe the 7D's AF is "Finicky" very...very finicky.... and perhaps tuned a bit too much towards speed applications at the expense of precision applications

Most of my biggest complaints would be solved by simply making the points substantially smaller, Even Spot AF's points and what its considering for the AF calculations are WAY too large compared to the xxD cameras and the 1-series in my opinion

FWIW, I still love my 7D and I still like the AF, Just think its far from perfect and could use some improvements

7D / 70-200 F4L IS / 400 5.6L / 50mm 1.8 / 18-55 Kit / CS5 plus other software.
My Smugmug (external link)

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 04, 2012 09:14 |  #71

No Angle wrote in post #13822710 (external link)
I just got the 7D and I like but you are right that the focus points are a little too large and they do not go away after the focus is set. It woudl be nice if they would drop out after you hit the focus or just had them be smaller. I use the Spot focus and have found the spot + expansion to work well for certain things like BIF with just sky in the back. I do like the body though. It just feels better than my T2i in every way.

I think KenjiS is talking about the size of the actual focus sensors, not the AF points in the viewfinder. The actual AF sensors cover a substantially larger area of the scene than the AF boxes in the viewfinder, which can throw focus somewhere other than intended without the photographer realizing it. This can result in the belief that the camera is missing focus (especially when shooting with a very limited DOF) when in fact the AF system is working as designed.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,898 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 04, 2012 12:49 |  #72

gunjanx wrote in post #13762493 (external link)
Lets keep Ergonomics, Mega pixel, HD video, 8 frames/sec and Magnesium Alloy body aside..

Is 7D really worth it for photography focused crowd? I mean if we compare core and pure photography features with 40D or 50D, does 7D win on big? Or even when compared to T2i, does it win big?

Would you be ok to have 40D or 50D rather than 7D for pure photography needs? If not, why would you go for 7D?

Since you're excluding so much, what are you including? If you just mean the sensor, than no. I think its the same sensor as on the 60D and T2ii, but i could be wrong. Seems like you've excluded everything but it and the glass. It's all the other things that add to the experience of that camera. I would have gotten it in a heart beat if I could have reconciled the additional expense for me over the 60D. Ergonomics and usability are very important aspects of any camera.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,355 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 04, 2012 12:59 |  #73

stsva wrote in post #13823783 (external link)
I think KenjiS is talking about the size of the actual focus sensors, not the AF points in the viewfinder. The actual AF sensors cover a substantially larger area of the scene than the AF boxes in the viewfinder, which can throw focus somewhere other than intended without the photographer realizing it. This can result in the belief that the camera is missing focus (especially when shooting with a very limited DOF) when in fact the AF system is working as designed.

Precisely, I just wish the design was better (I fully realize its working "the way its designed" i just hate that the way its designed means it chooses to focus on the edge of the leaf at the VERY bleeding edge of the AF point, using spot AF, as opposed to the bird i really want on focus, Or grabbing the VERY EDGE of my dog's ear instead of her eye, Whatever is MOSTLY in the focus point should be what the camera focuses on, and things near the very edge should not affect that the way in my experience it does..)

For instance the Nikon D300s and its 51-points cover roughly the same area (ok slightly more) as the 7D's 19, but the points themselves are much smaller.... I would rather have the D300s' array compared to the 7D's as i feel personally that its more selective...

The points themselves on the 7D are bloody -huge- imho, and while useful when tracking moving subjects are less discerning when working with precise applications...

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,355 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 04, 2012 13:00 |  #74

mwsilver wrote in post #13824717 (external link)
Since you're excluding so much, what are you including? If you just mean the sensor, than no. I think its the same sensor as on the 60D and T2ii, but i could be wrong. Seems like you've excluded everything but it and the glass. It's all the other things that add to the experience of that camera. I would have gotten it in a heart beat if I could have reconciled the additional expense for me over the 60D. Ergonomics and usability are very important aspects of any camera.

Yep, This, just the sensor? Probubly better off looking at a 5DII or something..But the 7D is more than just the (Admittedly very good) sensor...

rwhardy
404 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 04, 2012 15:18 |  #75

kevindar wrote in post #13762632 (external link)
yes, I think ferrari and bike is not as fair of a comparison. but really, take Angelina, take away her face, her lips, her figure, her not annoying voice, and would not you just be happy with Rosanne Barr?

dude, that is hilarious.

sponsored links

9,887 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D worth it for photography only?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.