Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 04 Feb 2012 (Saturday) 12:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How would you answer this email- wedding photography

harroz
Goldmember
2,749 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 04, 2012 12:55 |  #1

I know how I'll answer it, but thought it was worth a discussion...

This is the second email, basically asking for the same thing, of which I explained our policy of payment prior to shooting & images being viewed..

"No it doesn't really because it is effectively the same thing. We pay 100% of the fee before we see any of the photos. Once again we carry all the risk and you carry none.

For example the caterer is not asking for 100% of their fee before they serve us the meal. We are paying a portion of it and then if everything goes as planned the balance is paid. If for whatever reason the food was off, cold, not enough, etc then discussion is entered into to come to an agreement.

To my way of thinking we can pay you 65% upfront. You show us the low resolution photos, if we are happy with them we pay the balance and get the high resolution photos."

blog (external link) weddings (external link) commercial (external link) mm (external link)

sponsored links
Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 04, 2012 13:20 |  #2

I guess that the answer really depends on how much you want / need the work.

Flores
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 04, 2012 13:23 |  #3

I would double my price... and then tell her she can pay half up front.

but thats me.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 04, 2012 13:26 |  #4

Well it won't do you any good to get into a pissing match with her. You can either change your terms to get the job or you can stick to your terms and decline the job.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Mark2Mark
136 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 04, 2012 13:35 |  #5

I think she is being reasonable. Not much she can do with low res.

Gear

GadgetRick
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 04, 2012 13:47 |  #6

cdifoto wrote in post #13824879 (external link)
Well it won't do you any good to get into a pissing match with her. You can either change your terms to get the job or you can stick to your terms and decline the job.

I agree. Basically, not everyone is going to like all of your policies. If you feel it is in your best interest, you can change the policy for this instance (or for all), otherwise, apologize and tell them this is the way you do business.

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 04, 2012 14:07 |  #7

"Unlike food, we have evidence of past performance with references. I will spend as much time as you like explaining why our payment policy cannot be changed."

Or

"Since we will be unable to agree on this point, I have accepted another engagement for that date. Thank you for your interest and time. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I hope it goes well."

Or

"I will consider it, but you need to do something for me first. You mentioned that you might want the xxx package upgrade. Wiill you commit to that now?"

I post that after seeing your website. That is strong work. I assume you could get another engagement for that date. I also assume the bride chose you after looking around for a while, so my guess is she'll back down.

Not that it means much, since this is not my line of business, but I'd go with the required increase in scope of work in return for the terms. It forces her to put more skin in the game.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

harroz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,749 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 04, 2012 14:34 |  #8

Nightstalker wrote in post #13824850 (external link)
I guess that the answer really depends on how much you want / need the work.

does it, or does it depend on how we want to run our business, if we break our policies then whats the use of them?

cdifoto wrote in post #13824879 (external link)

oh definitely not! should we change our terms for one client? that could open us up to all sorts of problems, thats why we have them.

Flores wrote in post #13824863 (external link)
I would double my price... and then tell her she can pay half up front.

but thats me.

lol

Mark2Mark wrote in post #13824922 (external link)
I think she is being reasonable. Not much she can do with low res.

you think it's reasonable that a client can dictate to you the way you should run your business?

GadgetRick wrote in post #13824992 (external link)
I agree. Basically, not everyone is going to like all of your policies. If you feel it is in your best interest, you can change the policy for this instance (or for all), otherwise, apologize and tell them this is the way you do business.

I don't feel it's in my best interest at all, I can a see it turning into a nightmare further down the track.

As always there's a story that goes with it, the bride to be likes our images, want's us to shoot it, the husband hasn't meet with us, is a business person, and has been pushing for lower rates etc etc. we've bent a bit on the initial price, then the first email came through with his proposal and the mention of risk. It's caused some thought, the 'risk' thing, but I think that is part of it, that's the reason why you meet and go over the photographers website/portfolio/albu​ms etc prior to booking your wedding, to remove the risk.

definitely it is the 2 options of change the t&c's or not and decline, it's interesting that a lot of you would change your t&c's so quickly though...

blog (external link) weddings (external link) commercial (external link) mm (external link)

moose10101
registered smartass
1,730 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Feb 04, 2012 14:51 |  #9

harroz wrote in post #13825175 (external link)
you think it's reasonable that a client can dictate to you the way you should run your business?

What some people would call "dictating", others would call "negotiating". If you don't want to negotiate, decline and move on. They're not holding a gun to your head.

GadgetRick
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 04, 2012 14:53 |  #10

harroz wrote in post #13825175 (external link)
I don't feel it's in my best interest at all, I can a see it turning into a nightmare further down the track.

That's fine. So don't make a change to your policy. I was merely saying there are (essentially) 2 choices. If it is the best interest, then make the change, otherwise, just say no. Not a big deal.

I think the main thing is not to take any of this personally. Business is not personal, it's business. That's all.

harroz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,749 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 04, 2012 14:56 |  #11

of course they aren't, that would certainly change things a bit!

ok, lets call it negotiating, it's still the same, I know my choices... this isn't an answer to my question though...

moose10101 wrote in post #13825267 (external link)
What some people would call "dictating", others would call "negotiating". If you don't want to negotiate, decline and move on. They're not holding a gun to your head.

S.Horton
18,051 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 04, 2012 15:03 |  #12

Asking for an increase in scope in return for a change of terms is negotiating.

After your back story, I think silence for about a week might trigger a cave in on her side. She might be screaming at her husband to be about blowing the phtography deal up by interfering with terms.

I think he is trying to be a behind the scenes negotiator after the fact in an attempt to impress someone. Or, maybe, to simply refuse payment later to reduce costs.

The line about the caterer is particularly alarming, because it sets up that vendor for a litany of invented complaints after the fact to reduce payment.

It is a small world. It doesn't take long for someone like that to get a pretty bad reputation.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael

harroz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,749 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 04, 2012 15:05 |  #13

BOOM!

Here we go, nice! Thanks for taking the time to look and come back with some answers for me. You're on it.. I've been doing it a while, been through the hoops etc and have solid work and it's everywhere, so it's not like I'm just starting out and have nothing to show. Also this is for this summer, we're solidly booked with 2 weekends off, she wants one of them, summer is extremely busy for me so that weekend off means a lot to me, I'm happy to give it up to the right couple who absolutely LOVE my work, respect it, and are more than happy with my policies, so I'll be declining, or maybe your last idea- but I think that needs some thought before I put it to them, because I need to make the choice of do I want to actually shoot this now.

Thanks for the input!

S.Horton wrote in post #13825058 (external link)
"Unlike food, we have evidence of past performance with references. I will spend as much time as you like explaining why our payment policy cannot be changed."

Or

"Since we will be unable to agree on this point, I have accepted another engagement for that date. Thank you for your interest and time. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I hope it goes well."

Or

"I will consider it, but you need to do something for me first. You mentioned that you might want the xxx package upgrade. Wiill you commit to that now?"

I post that after seeing your website. That is strong work. I assume you could get another engagement for that date. I also assume the bride chose you after looking around for a while, so my guess is she'll back down.

Not that it means much, since this is not my line of business, but I'd go with the required increase in scope of work in return for the terms. It forces her to put more skin in the game.

S.Horton
18,051 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 04, 2012 15:08 |  #14

You're welcome. Those are the same tactics used in consulting. And software sales.

Just the terminology flips around.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael

harroz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,749 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 04, 2012 15:13 |  #15

Oh yeah, sorry, wasn't knocking, appreciate your comment. Appreciating everyones comments.

Don't you think there is a bit of 'personal' in there, it's for shooting someones wedding, I need them to be awesome, like mates, not like a business exchange. I do business exchanges in commercial photography, but weddings have to be more on a personal level with the client to get the right images.

GadgetRick wrote in post #13825278 (external link)
That's fine. So don't make a change to your policy. I was merely saying there are (essentially) 2 choices. If it is the best interest, then make the change, otherwise, just say no. Not a big deal.

I think the main thing is not to take any of this personally. Business is not personal, it's business. That's all.

sponsored links

8,982 views & 0 likes for this thread
How would you answer this email- wedding photography
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.