Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 03, 2012 21:32 |  #4396

Hey all, I need your suggestions. I was viewing Discoduck's photographs and link http://16donmills.livi​ngphoto.ca/ (external link). I sent him a PM asking what he was using as a template as I thought it was really nice and wanted to use one like it.

Unfortunitly, Discoduck can't recall where he got it. So, can anyone help me out with a few suggestions. I have looked on the internet but cant find anything that looks like the template he is using.

Thank you.

Canon 5D MkIII powered through the following Canon lenses: 16-35 f2.8 L MkII, 24-70 f2.8 L MkII, 70-200 f2.8 L MkII, 17mm TS-E f4 L, 24mm TS-E f2.8 L MkII and 85mm f1.2 L MkII.
Feedback

sponsored links
Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 04, 2012 06:03 |  #4397

Joe.Recon wrote in post #13822161 (external link)
Hey all, I need your suggestions. I was viewing Discoduck's photographs and link http://16donmills.livi​ngphoto.ca/ (external link). I sent him a PM asking what he was using as a template as I thought it was really nice and wanted to use one like it.

Unfortunitly, Discoduck can't recall where he got it. So, can anyone help me out with a few suggestions. I have looked on the internet but cant find anything that looks like the template he is using.

Thank you.

Maybe this?

Class: livingphoto
Use: Lightbox clone for jQuery
Author: Stephane Caron (http://www.no-margin-for-errors.com (external link))
Version: 3.1.2

Looks like this could be it.
http://www.no-margin-for-errors.com …to-jquery-lightbox-clone/ (external link)

By the way, I found this information using Chrome, going to inspect element and searching the code.

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

discoduck
514 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 04, 2012 08:01 |  #4398

Yeah sorry can't remember :(

I'm using prettyPhoto for the image viewer. It's nice but sometimes a pain if you have to post up a lot of photos.

5Dc | 17-40 L
LivingPhoto.ca (external link) - Real Estate Photography
Facebook (external link) - How about a "Like"? :D

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 04, 2012 12:34 |  #4399

Heath wrote in post #13823337 (external link)
Maybe this?

Class: livingphoto
Use: Lightbox clone for jQuery
Author: Stephane Caron (http://www.no-margin-for-errors.com (external link))
Version: 3.1.2

Looks like this could be it.
http://www.no-margin-for-errors.com …to-jquery-lightbox-clone/ (external link)

By the way, I found this information using Chrome, going to inspect element and searching the code.

Thank you Heath. Learned something new with Google Chrome.

discoduck wrote in post #13823565 (external link)
Yeah sorry can't remember :(

I'm using prettyPhoto for the image viewer. It's nice but sometimes a pain if you have to post up a lot of photos.

No worries Disco. I thought of using the power of the masses. It`s amazing what you cab find out when tons of people look into something.

Canon 5D MkIII powered through the following Canon lenses: 16-35 f2.8 L MkII, 24-70 f2.8 L MkII, 70-200 f2.8 L MkII, 17mm TS-E f4 L, 24mm TS-E f2.8 L MkII and 85mm f1.2 L MkII.
Feedback

kady05
248 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 04, 2012 14:10 |  #4400

Some great pictures in this thread!

Question: My parents have asked me to take some pictures of their house that they're putting on the market soon. What would be a good lens to use for this? I'm thinking a wide angle; would either the 35mm f/2 or 24mm f/2.8 be a good choice, or am I way off? Not trying to break the bank here. I have a T1i, and mainly do pet photography so houses are a totally different ball game for me!

- Kady
5D Mark III | 70-200mm f/4 | 85mm f/1.8 | 17-40mm f/4

Luxury
635 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 04, 2012 16:10 |  #4401

kady05 wrote in post #13825070 (external link)

Question: My parents have asked me to take some pictures of their house that they're putting on the market soon. What would be a good lens to use for this? I'm thinking a wide angle; would either the 35mm f/2 or 24mm f/2.8 be a good choice, or am I way off? Not trying to break the bank here. I have a T1i, and mainly do pet photography so houses are a totally different ball game for me!

on a crop sensor, you're going to be looking at a much wider FOV.

most of the people who shoot real estate/interiors on here with crop cameras tend to use the canon 10-22mm, or other lenses of similar focal length.

Liam - A7r, Fuji x100, 450d and some other stuff. --- Flickr  (external link)--- http://liamgee.com (external link)

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 04, 2012 16:36 |  #4402

kady05 wrote in post #13825070 (external link)

Luxury wrote in post #13825634 (external link)

most of the people who shoot real estate/interiors on here with crop cameras tend to use the canon 10-22mm, or other lenses of similar focal length.

Remember that a T1I has a crop factor of 1.6 so your 28 mm lens will become a 44.8 mm lens...and in my opinion, that is not wide enough for interiors.

Here's a good link to help you start out: http://photographyforr​ealestate.net/ (external link). They have some pretty good pointers for starting out with a low budget.

What Luxury pointed out about starting with a 10-22 mm is a really good suggestion. I actually started out with a Canon 7D and a Canon 10-22 lens. My agents were really impressed with the images I was producing. I recently changed my camera body for a 5DMk2 and got a 17mm TSE lens as I want to get into architectural photography.

My suggestion to you if you just want to stay in Real Estate photography and starting out on a budget: Keep that T1i and get a used 10-22 lens. With the crop factor of your T1i, the 10-22 will become a 16-35. Perfect match ! And you will be surprised the quality of image that the 10-22 can provide.

I also suggest you start reading up on what technique you want to use: HDR or Flash. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I presently use HDR but have been reading up on using flash. I think flash photography produces much nicer images than HDR but I am still practicing with flash and wont offer the service until I can produce quality images.

HDR is working out really nicely for me. I use HDR software from LR Infuse as I feel it produces a more "natural" finish...but, to each his own as I am certain others will vouch for other types of software. LR Enfuse is a software you can buy for a small donation. I donated 10$. I get free updates and all. I'm quite happy with it. *Works with Adobe Lightroom.

Anyways, good luck and hope you enjoy Real Estate photography. I have a full time job and do photography as a sideline. It's a good source of extra income that helps me pay for my photography gear...and maybe a good sideline for when I retire.

joe

Feedback

ieatstars
Goldmember
3,283 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 04, 2012 17:57 |  #4403

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7165/6817813393_b6c0a6682b_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ieatstars/68178​13393/  (external link)
Dřevěné dveře (external link) by i eaт sтars (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)
Be my fan on F a c e b o o k! (external link) :D

kady05
248 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 04, 2012 19:10 as a reply to  @ ieatstars's post |  #4404

Luxury wrote in post #13825634 (external link)

Joe.Recon wrote in post #13825755 (external link)
Remember that a T1I has a crop factor of 1.6 so your 28 mm lens will become a 44.8 mm lens...and in my opinion, that is not wide enough for interiors.

Here's a good link to help you start out: http://photographyforr​ealestate.net/ (external link). They have some pretty good pointers for starting out with a low budget.

What Luxury pointed out about starting with a 10-22 mm is a really good suggestion. I actually started out with a Canon 7D and a Canon 10-22 lens. My agents were really impressed with the images I was producing. I recently changed my camera body for a 5DMk2 and got a 17mm TSE lens as I want to get into architectural photography.

My suggestion to you if you just want to stay in Real Estate photography and starting out on a budget: Keep that T1i and get a used 10-22 lens. With the crop factor of your T1i, the 10-22 will become a 16-35. Perfect match ! And you will be surprised the quality of image that the 10-22 can provide.

I also suggest you start reading up on what technique you want to use: HDR or Flash. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I presently use HDR but have been reading up on using flash. I think flash photography produces much nicer images than HDR but I am still practicing with flash and wont offer the service until I can produce quality images.

HDR is working out really nicely for me. I use HDR software from LR Infuse as I feel it produces a more "natural" finish...but, to each his own as I am certain others will vouch for other types of software. LR Enfuse is a software you can buy for a small donation. I donated 10$. I get free updates and all. I'm quite happy with it. *Works with Adobe Lightroom.

Anyways, good luck and hope you enjoy Real Estate photography. I have a full time job and do photography as a sideline. It's a good source of extra income that helps me pay for my photography gear...and maybe a good sideline for when I retire.

joe

Thank you both for the info.! Phew, the 10-20mm is pretty pricey! I'm honestly not looking to get "serious" about real estate photography, just want to be able to get some nice shots of my parents house and know that with my current lenses (50mm f/1.8, the stock 18-55mm, and a 70-200mm f/4), that's not possible, especially in the smaller rooms.

So I'll have to keep an eye out to see if there are any good deals on a 10-20mm.. either that, or find something a bit more in my budget (I was trying to stay at around $300) that can do the job.

- Kady
5D Mark III | 70-200mm f/4 | 85mm f/1.8 | 17-40mm f/4

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 04, 2012 19:14 |  #4405

ieatstars wrote in post #13826131 (external link)
door

i could so see this in like an elle decor or something. nice shot

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

Luxury
635 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 04, 2012 19:28 |  #4406

kady05 wrote in post #13826424 (external link)
Thank you both for the info.! Phew, the 10-20mm is pretty pricey! I'm honestly not looking to get "serious" about real estate photography, just want to be able to get some nice shots of my parents house and know that with my current lenses (50mm f/1.8, the stock 18-55mm, and a 70-200mm f/4), that's not possible, especially in the smaller rooms.

So I'll have to keep an eye out to see if there are any good deals on a 10-20mm.. either that, or find something a bit more in my budget (I was trying to stay at around $300) that can do the job.

you could stitch for wider with your 18-55mm. But you'd have to remember to shoot a lot more than you think you need — so you can correct for distortion later.

Liam - A7r, Fuji x100, 450d and some other stuff. --- Flickr  (external link)--- http://liamgee.com (external link)

ieatstars
Goldmember
3,283 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 04, 2012 22:51 |  #4407

mikekelley wrote in post #13826438 (external link)
i could so see this in like an elle decor or something. nice shot

Wow, really? Thanks so much! I wish! :D

flickr (external link)
Be my fan on F a c e b o o k! (external link) :D

GDH
139 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 04, 2012 23:12 |  #4408

Luxury wrote in post #13826496 (external link)
you could stitch for wider with your 18-55mm. But you'd have to remember to shoot a lot more than you think you need — so you can correct for distortion later.

Or you could rent a lens for one time use. It's less expensive than you might think.

Canon 5Diii, 24-105L, 17-40L, 70-200L 2.8, 50.

Luxury
635 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 05, 2012 00:23 |  #4409

GDH wrote in post #13827461 (external link)
Or you could rent a lens for one time use. It's less expensive than you might think.

This is a good idea

GadgetRick
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 05, 2012 08:25 |  #4410

Love love LOVE the textures and color in this shot. Bravo!!!

sponsored links

2,059,591 views & 1,711 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.