Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 26 Jan 2012 (Thursday) 17:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

MiniDV camera help

sepukacheekray
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 26, 2012 17:42 |  #1

Hey guys,

I'm new here, but need a little help. I have a canon camera that records with minidv tapes. We are using it to record classes with a firewire plugged into a mac laptop, so there is no need for the minidv tape. The pain is having to stop at 60 minutes and then rewind. Is there any kind of bypass for this? unless the camera is recording onto the tape, imovie won't import video. Is there some kind of tape that just runs infinitely or tricks the camera into thinking it has an infinite amount of tape to record on?

Sorry if I'm not being very descriptive, I don't know all the technical terms...

sponsored links
capri_stylee
220 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 26, 2012 19:08 |  #2

Long play?

blaked
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 01, 2012 21:32 |  #3

This "endless tape" that you desire is unfortunately non-existant. Shooting MiniDV myself for years, I've grown to learn the workflow and it's a very tedious one. Shooting the tape, rewinding the tape, then capturing the tape is something that's just frustrating. For most people, it's a huge reason to switch over to a fully digital camera. So to answer your question, there is no way to bypass this, you just gotta tough it out or maybe it's time for an upgrade..

Vimeo (external link) // Flickr (external link)

MarKap77
806 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 02, 2012 21:36 as a reply to  @ blaked's post |  #4

Not sure if you'll be back to read this, but I'll post anyway.

What you need to do is change the settings in your camera so that the camera stays on without recording to the tape. I used to do this with my Canon GL2 camera when I was doing live webcasts. There was no need to record the presentations on tape, I did that on the computer, but I needed for the camera to stay "live" instead of shutting down.

On the GL2 you need to activate the "VCR Stop" function. This turned off the recording part of the system while leaving the camcorder on continuously. See page 36 of the GL2 manual. Click here (external link) to get the link to the manual on the Canon website.

You did not specify which camera you have and yours may not have the same function, but check it out. This way, you don't even need a tape in the camera.

Good luck

Mark
My Gear List

"I don't travel to get to work, travel IS my work!

CalmAsToast
195 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 04, 2012 20:33 as a reply to  @ MarKap77's post |  #5

Another option is to forget iMovie and record with QuickTime Pro. All you need to do is plug in your camera and turn it on, then go to the QuickTime Pro Preferences and on the Recording page select your Video and Audio inputs. Then click File > New Movie Recording and hit the red button.

5D Mk III 7D Canon Lenses 35 2.0 | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 24-105 4L IS | 28-135 IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 70-300 IS
---------------
Feedback & Gear
500px (external link) - PattersonVisualArts.co​m (external link)

alangat
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 07, 2012 01:22 as a reply to  @ CalmAsToast's post |  #6

I have that camera - my biggest problem is viewing the tape - I need to have the camera in order to view so I can't just bring the tape to view somewhere else and then on top of it the connection for the battery charge (which also makes you use the camera) is so flimsy

Alan Gat
Eye glasses Astoria (external link)

sponsored links

1,062 views & 0 likes for this thread
MiniDV camera help
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.